• 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >
  • 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

• 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 09-14-2016, 01:00 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by rryder
    l

put. In. Stupid spellchecker
    I knew what you meant. (Could have gone for "Putin tied to the track, lol) BTW, those tracks are sewn in segments and I was pretty proud of myself when all the pieces lined up.
    Old 09-14-2016, 05:00 PM

Definitely a giggle in here...thanks for the laugh!
    Originally Posted by letawellman
    My sister does some quilting, but she's not as avid as I am. Plus, she's very OCD, and will not start anything new until she finishes what she's currently working on. So, she never has UFO's, and I think if she were to inherit my sewing room, she'd have a nervous breakdown.
    Old 09-14-2016, 06:43 PM

I'm enjoying reading the family stories here!

Leta, that quilting is really great.

Originally Posted by wildyard
    I am curious about the general opinion on flimsies. I have several that are finished but I don't plan to complete them until I know who they will go to. I feel like these are UFOs but then again, I don't because they are at my desired stage of completion for now.

Would you consider these UFOs or no?
    Personally I would consider them UFOs, since they can't be used or displayed as they are.
    Old 09-15-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by rryder
    l

... Stupid spellchecker
    Don't you just LOVE technology?
    It never lets me sign my name - it always wants to change it to "Let's" instead of "Leta". Grrr.
    Old 09-16-2016, 08:01 AM

Thanks, Leta, for writing out your ideas for conquering my mountain of UFO's. I'm going to forget the list and try a goal of one per month. Last time I did that I finished 2 the first month and immediately upped the goal to 2 per month. Needless to say, it didn't work.

This time I will leave it at one per month and use your averaging method to tell if I'm on track.
    Old 09-16-2016, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieQuilts
    Thanks, Leta, for writing out your ideas for conquering my mountain of UFO's. I'm going to forget the list and try a goal of one per month. Last time I did that I finished 2 the first month and immediately upped the goal to 2 per month. Needless to say, it didn't work.

This time I will leave it at one per month and use your averaging method to tell if I'm on track.
    YOU set your goals for yourself - nobody is going to slam you if you don't meet them - but for sure we'll celebrate every single finish!! If you "get ahead" (like I did at the beginning of the year), you don't necessarily have to change because of that. (I sure didn't!!) We all know that "life interferes" with our plans.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to "miss" my September UFO finish. I'm still attaching the sleeve to "Pony Up!" and will be shipping her out on Monday for MQX Midwest. Then I have my "Challenge" piece to complete before November for my longarm guild. So, I probably will NOT get a September finish.

However, I'm not going to let that nag at me nor discourage me - after all, I finished a total of 8 so far this year! Who knows, maybe I will finish 2 (or more?) in October, so that would get me back on track for 1 per month.
    But for sure I know I will definitely be joining the 2017 UFO group next year!! This has been a great group, with lots of inspiration.

I know that I was not with this group last year, and I only finished 2 UFO's... and created a whole lot more!!
    So, I count it a blessing and a miracle that I have finished 8 while NOT creating any more (so far!).

I can't wait to see you post a finish soon!! (But no pressure - just enjoy the ride!!)
    Old 09-16-2016, 08:43 AM

Even if I finished all of my UFO's I'd still join this group. I love hearing about what everyone is doing.
    Old 09-16-2016, 04:50 PM

Ditto what Tkhooper said. . I still have 'known' UFO's and I am thinking there are probably some 'forgotten' UFO's.

I donate most of mine as flimsies so there really shouldn't be a reason for any UFO's, right? Lol!

Connie
    Old 09-17-2016, 06:07 AM

This is not finished yet but I thought I'd show the progress. My 2011 Bonnie Hunter Mystery - Orca Bay, made from my MotherInLaw's stash of pinks/browns/teals/neutrals. I had all the string blocks, hour glass blocks and over 700 2.5" squares cut for other steps, done four + years ago... Last week I did 350 2" HSTs and 700 triangles for the triangle pieces. That nearly killed me! The other night I started removing paper off the pink string pieces. UUUGGG..... I finished enough to assemble one small section. It's not 1/4 of the top. I'm going now to see how far I get today with the strings I de-papered lastnight. All I could think as I sewed this section was WHAT WAS I THINKING..... SOOOOO many parts. I need to finish it so I can psyche out for this years Bonnie Hunter mystery.... This WILL be a September finish!
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
    Old 09-17-2016, 06:58 AM

That's looking great, SheriR! I am also working on orca bay (and roll, roll cotton boll). I finished cutting my wing unit triangles yesterday, and my neutral border unit triangles. I think this is such a fascinating pattern, and it's so interesting to see the effects of the different color choices and pattern modifications in all the google photos that are available.