Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >
  • 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

• 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 12-25-2016, 07:21 PM

I did it! Finished my Orca Bay in time to gift it today! I'm so happy. I did quilt Baptist Fans on my domestic machine. The worse part was marking the fans. Such a good feel to finish this!

I don't know if it counts. I also finished one for another daughter. I bought the panel last year but the boy she was dating was .... just a boy. Now he's her husband and qualifies for a quilt. You decide if it qualifies as a 2016 finish!
    Attached Thumbnails img_5712.jpg   img_5713.jpg   img_5714.jpg   img_5681.jpg  
    Old 12-26-2016, 12:57 AM

SheriR- that Orca bay is beautiful, good job on the baptist fans! Moose quilt is fun-- UFO?-- in my studio, if it was on my UFO pile, then it's a UFO--doesn't matter why it was sitting around undone nor does it matter what state it was in when it went on the pile.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 12-26-2016 at 01:13 AM.
    Old 12-26-2016, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I was going to get some sewing in before we are going to see friends and then I sliced the tip off my index finger on the mandolin. It is bleeding like a stuck pig and I am not going near any fabric. Throb-throb-throb.
    Love the latest finishes.

OUCH, sounds like you need stitches!!!Hope you feel better soon.

Rob
    Old 12-26-2016, 08:40 AM
    Power Poster

Those quilts are beautiful.

No Rob, no stitches. That would have required a trip to the emergency room and that was not going to happen, yesterday of all days.
    Old 12-26-2016, 09:56 AM

Love that Orca Bay!
    Old 12-26-2016, 09:58 AM

Woo, Hoo, or rather, Toot, Toot RetiredTeacher! Congratulations on your UFO finish
    Originally Posted by retiredteacher09
    Another UFO finish! This is a baby quilt top that will be donated to an organization that will complete it. It is 42 by 48.

I have 2 more UFO's. I am hoping to finish one more before the year is over. I need to sew the rows together, add borders, and then decide how I am going to quilt and bind it.

Rob, I hope you are getting your energy back.

QM-beautiful quilt and I like how you incorporated the memory of the Santa, teddy bear, and stocking.

Janice- thank you for being our engineer. You do a great job!

To all of you: Thanks for sharing your beautiful finishes. You are a great inspiration to me!

Blessings, Connie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564155[/ATTACH]
    Old 12-26-2016, 10:01 AM

Silliness, Congrats on your UFO finish. I love the modern feel of it. Toot, Toot!
    Originally Posted by silliness
    Fraew, love the tumbler quilt. Just beautiful!

I finished my last UFO for the year last night. I started it last December. It was planned for my stepmother's 50th birthday last January, but she will get it this year instead for her birthday. She is a mail carrier and a Denver Bronco's fan, so I tried to give a nod to each of those things in the quilt without it being so obvious.
    Old 12-26-2016, 10:14 AM

Everyone, please remember to post if your finish is a UFO FINISH. I'm not the one who decides if it qualifies or not. In general, it should be sitting around for a while (for me, a year or more) unfinished, before it's a UFO. You all may have different opinions. But if you are consistently working on a quilt for the last year, I don't consider it a UFO. A finish yes, a UFO Finish, no. That's why YOU must decide and let me know! So those of you who have posted "finishes" recently, please let me know if YOU believe it's a UFO finish or not. We're coming up on the last few days of the year so hurry and let me know!
    Old 12-26-2016, 10:17 AM

Cannyquilter, congratulations on your UFO finishes. Toot, Toot! Six! Wonderful. We'd love to see pix.
    Originally Posted by cannyquilter
    I have finished six of the projects I had as UFOs. A Christmas wreath and four Christmas stockings. Also one of the three quilts I needed to finish, do I'll be carrying two UFOs into 2017. Will try to post pictures
    Old 12-26-2016, 05:07 PM

I'm LOVING all these finishes, everyone!! It will be interesting to see what our final count for 2016 will be... and then... **GASP** will we set our sights even higher for 2017?

I KNOW I'm not going to get any more UFO's completed. I have one of three customer quilts loaded on my frame, and I'm doing the Bonnie Hunter MQ, so both of those situations preclude my finishing anything else from the UFO pile. But I DID meet my personal goal of 12 (one per month) for the year, so I'm very happy with that!

However... when I gifted a lady at church with several boxes of fabric, I (once again) rearranged stuff, so I have a very clear idea of the UFO's I will be tackling next year. How many are there? I don't know for sure, but I'd say somewhere around 30... or maybe 40... or... possibly 50.

Anyway, there is now a little more room in my sewing room, due to the gifted fabric, and one customer quilt (with matching pillows) going out the door. And I am even more committed to next year's UFO AND the Fabric Moratorium. I have a couple of ladies from church wanting to see my sewing room, and wanting me to teach them quilting... so I REALLY need to make room... so, again, more incentive for me to really hammer down on those UFO's.
    Hmmm, I may just teach them how to longarm too, and if they finish some of the less-than-beautiful flimsies, then gift them with them (if they want them), that will help finish some UFO's too!