Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >
  • 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

• 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 03-06-2016, 12:06 PM
    Power Poster

Krista, I think your quilt is stunning. If it were mine, I'd put a dark red outer border on it, or a complete border of red flying geese, or stars, or something to frame it.

My suggestion for the quilting: Sketch out the pattern on grid paper and come up with a pencil FMQ design for it. Then it will be easier to DO the actual FMQ.
    Old 03-06-2016, 03:24 PM

Krista - I agree with MadQuilter - if we have a plan it is easier (sometimes) I have been working on a memory quilt and doing the math, moving things around, and then putting it aside. Brainstorm yesterday and it all the pieces went together nicely today.
    Old 03-06-2016, 03:26 PM

I have not looked or posted since 2/19 shame on me. Caught up this afternoon, so many beautiful finishes. I have another finish to report, a throw that I got the binding on last night. I will be having surgery on Tuesday and will have plenty of time after I am home for sitting and sewing. I managed to put a twin size quilt on the frame and another sandwiched throw ready to go. I hand quilt and I started on the throw this afternoon while watching the NASCAR race, it is a tumbler made from scraps. Very similar to Robs. I will be having knee replacement and will be about four days in the hospital and another ten days in rehab facility. I will have Hubby bring the throw to rehab and I can work on it there if I feel up to it. I will have my Kindle so I can keep up with what everyone is doing.
    Old 03-07-2016, 09:32 AM

Krista, your quilt is gorgeous!!
    One thing you can do is take a picture of it, then print it in BLACK AND WHITE. Then, you can put tracing paper over the printout and "preview" different designs. that way, you can test out how different things will look - and just because one idea doesn't "speak" to you, don't throw that away - just set it aside - because later on, it may speak to you after all.

If you haven't used Lisa Calle's methods, I highly recommend her DVD, "Divide and Design". She walks you through different steps to plan how to make all that negative space really pop!! And Judi Madsen is always a great source of inspiration to me as well.

Good luck - I'm sure you will come up with just the right quilting design!
    Old 03-07-2016, 01:35 PM

Well, as soon as my company leaves this weekend I am going to get in my sewing room and finish some of my smaller projects. I have quite a few table runners I put together and never finished (they were supposed to have been done for Christmas presents)....I think I'll finish them for Christmas presents for this year! I also have a TON of Christmas ornaments I cut out, with batting and backing and pinned together and just didn't do the last part. It is time to get it done!
    Old 03-07-2016, 02:21 PM

Toot, Toot for your throw finish. Good luck with your surgery and I hope for a swift recovery!
    Originally Posted by sweetwaterquilter
    I have not looked or posted since 2/19 shame on me. Caught up this afternoon, so many beautiful finishes. I have another finish to report, a throw that I got the binding on last night. I will be having surgery on Tuesday and will have plenty of time after I am home for sitting and sewing. I managed to put a twin size quilt on the frame and another sandwiched throw ready to go. I hand quilt and I started on the throw this afternoon while watching the NASCAR race, it is a tumbler made from scraps. Very similar to Robs. I will be having knee replacement and will be about four days in the hospital and another ten days in rehab facility. I will have Hubby bring the throw to rehab and I can work on it there if I feel up to it. I will have my Kindle so I can keep up with what everyone is doing.
    Old 03-07-2016, 10:36 PM

Default Another March finish

I'm on a roll, I grabbed these placemats from the UFO box last week and completed them today. They were all sandwiched and ready for some quilting and binding. The one on the bottom left corner was the only one that had been finished. I had cut and sewn on bias binding because I thought that the diamonds would look nice, but I did the rest the easier way and I think I prefer the checkerboard look. The other thing I simplified was the quilting in the border. The more complex pattern on the bottom left one was lost in the busy fabric, so not worth the effort. I learn something new with each project I tackle, I like that. My next UFO to tackle is to finish hand quilting a full sized bed quilt.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
    Old 03-08-2016, 05:50 AM

Love the placemats, OhCanada!!

Well, I got the rainbow Lone Star (wall hanging size) quilted this weekend. Now I have to put the binding on. I'll try to get that done when I get home from work tonight. That will be my first March finish, and bring my personal 2016 total up to 6.

I need to get the animals quilt(s) done so I can throw those on the longarm next... or maybe just one of the yard-sale tops, just so I can get another finish before the end of the month.

April will probably NOT be very productive for me, as my daughter is due to have her baby on the 11th. I will be traveling to Raleigh to help her out with new baby and 2 year-old "big brother" for a couple of weeks. She has one of my old sewing machines, so MAYBE I'll get a little time to sew - but I doubt it. Maybe I just need to have a couple of projects that just need binding....
    Old 03-08-2016, 10:15 AM

I love the placemats OhCanada!

Can't wait to see the Lodestar Leta! Sounds like you are going to have your hands full in April.

Rob
    Old 03-08-2016, 10:40 AM

Default UFO done!

Here's my 2nd UFO for March, finished YAY! It's only been sitting around for 4 years LOL! I think this is the last of the funky ones for the show. The rest will mostly be more traditional quilts--and I've got plenty of them to keep me busy LOL!

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails 2ndmarchufo.jpg