2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 04-06-2017, 05:39 AM

Welcome Grammasharon!

I sort of of fell off the wagon yesterday. I bought 2 and 1/4 yards of muslin to use for foundation to make a tuffet for dear cousin. I figure since it's all for a specific project then that's ok. I thought I was doing good to not tell them to round up to 5 yards

Rob
Old 04-06-2017, 10:11 AM

Haha, Rob!! Yes, if you bought it for a specific project, you are fine. Or that is my logic.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

Happy Birthday Month, Martina!!
Went on a mini shop hop with a quilty friend. My brother wants a baby quilt for a friend. I pulled the focus fabric from stash, but needed some coordinating colors. Not only were my purchases for a specific project, but I'm going to hit my brother up for the $$$. Win/Win.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Rob, it sounds like you use the same round up logic that I do!!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:02 AM

So my question is this, would I fall off the wagon or just dangle a bit if I did this.............Keepsake Quilting always has a big tent sale in June. I told my sister about it and now she wants to go...of course. They do have some good deals. I don't plan on buying any fabric that way. But one thing they have that I just have a field day with is big boxes full of scraps. If you are lucky you might find some fat quarter sizes, but there are all kinds of fabrics, including batiks in all shapes and sizes from projects they did. You pay so much a bag. Last year they used quart size bags. Doesn't sound like you get much, but you would be surprised how much you can fit into the bags. I get such a kick out of watch people fold, roll up, stuff and any number of inventive they come up with to fill these bags. You can actually do quite well. What difference does it make if it is cut up odd shape, we cut them up anyway, just smaller to work with which for me makes it easier. So therefore, if I do a couple of these, is that falling off the wagon, or just dangling. Kind of like in the spring when Mom would say, don't go in the water, its too cold to get wet, and I would say, "but I'm only dangling my feet".
Old 04-07-2017, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Well, AnngelAnne - it depends on how big that bag of scraps is that you bring home. lol Honestly, if I had the chance to go to Keepsake Quilting, I would have a MAJOR fall and it wouldn't be for scraps. I LOVE their fabrics.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Rob, not rounding up is an accomplishment. For the longest time my DH thought that fabric was only sold in one yard increments.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Rob, not rounding up is an accomplishment. For the longest time my DH thought that fabric was only sold in one yard increments.
Now that is funny, lol. Yup, still chuckling, lol. Sure brightened up my work day, lol.

As far as how big the bag is, each bag you fill is only a quart size sandwich type zip lock. You just stuff as much as you want. But it is all scraps, cut pieces, nothing whole for sure.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:23 AM

PaperPrincess-- yes, to round up---look at the first whole number and go up to the next one like it, so if it's even you go up to the next even number then you look at the fraction and go up to the next whole number, that's why 2 and 1/4 gets rounded up to 5. However in the olden days (also known as pre-fm times) you would keep the whole number the same, but round up the fraction and then put it beside the original whole number so 2and 1/4 would equal 21--- but only if it was a really good deal on a really really pretty fabric.....
Old 04-08-2017, 05:51 AM

Not rounding up Rob is real self control! Must admit that I always round up. Partly because what if I make a mistake or the fabric cut is wonky? However there is a difference in rounding up and doubling.

Martina Happy Birthday month. How good do you want to be?

AnngelAnne I'm with Martina on the Keepsake Quilting trip. That would be so tempting.