2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-08-2017, 02:47 AM

What Madquilter said.

Rob
Old 06-09-2017, 04:23 PM

Mad quilter and petthefabric, you both made me laugh so hard. I love all of you reasons for going off the wagon. So creative. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

I was at a bridal shower today right next to an estate sale. My GF got a serger and thread at they sale and told me there was a ton of fabric. I almost stopped on the way home but decided that I did not need to do that after all. So one more point on my chart for being good.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

I am very good at resistiing fabric that costs $10 or more per yard. I did buy 5+ yards of Michael Miller black last winter - even had to wait for the shop to order it.

However - estate sales where good fabric is very inexpensive - which I have not seen any of lately! - my won't power goes down the drain.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:59 PM

Hi everyone! I've been a little incommunicado again, but it's because (ta-dah!) I started my new job this week and (uh-oh) hubby managed to hurt himself, so we've been doing the hospital/doctor's office/prescription deal last week and the week before.

I am still on the wagon - the only purchases I made this year was two bolts of extra wide fabric at Foust's "open to the public" sale, and the black backing I needed for my Lone Star quilt. Not having a job for several months seriously keeps one "on the wagon" with little to no fear of "falling off". But, MadQuilter and Petthefabric both made me laugh with the "exemptions"!

I finished the Dr. Seuss quilt, and my sister-in-law is buying it (and a wall-hanging sized) quilt for her impending great-grandbaby. So, that's some $$ to go back into my emergency fund to start building it back up. Unfortunately, neither quilt was a UFO, so I can't claim them for the UFO challenge. However, I did use up several yards of stash, so I can count that as a reduction in my overall fabric stash.

Next few things on my agenda are destined (I hope!!) for MQX next spring - an entry for the "Polka dot challenge" and my Lone Star. I've got some seriously intense quilting planned for that one. My threads finally came in - I got the smaller spools so I can do a "sample" square, using several different threads. I'm hoping the sample will help me pick the best color to use. I'll post pics as so as I get the sample done, and you fine, discerning folks here can help me decide. Then I'll buy the larger spools for that. I'm interested to see how the Superior "Magnifico" does in comparison to the silk thread I've been using for my denser projects lately.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Power Poster

Ah Great news, and not so great news, Leta....hope MrLeta is doing okay. What a relief to get a new job, too.

A small bump here....I reorganized the fat quarter display at work today...found 3 fq I just had to have and they walked home with me!
Old 06-11-2017, 12:24 PM

congrats on the new job Leta! Hope Mr. Leta is feeling better soon.

Martina- skipping the estate sale fabric is an awesome accomplishment.

Things have been going pretty well here in terms of fabric, but, I've made several thread purchases lately. I know this is the fabric moratorium, but I'm getting close to needing a thread moratorium LOL. Working on two UFOs with backing fabric all from stash and scraps and that's taking lots of thread, so maybe I'm ok on the thread purchases.....

Rob
Old 06-11-2017, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Oh Leta, what fantastic news. I hope you like your new job too. Hope your DH gets better quickly.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:02 PM

Congrats, Leta! Well wishes to hubby!

Oksewglad: Yes that was just a small bump. . Have fun using those new fqs.

School is out so no more subbing until September. I hope to reduce my stash greatly this summer.

Connie
Old 06-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

A scrap buster pattern for me.
https://www.quilterswarehouse.com/ti...quilt-pattern/

Thursday Quilt buddy and I started a new project...using the TicTacSew pattern to use up scraps of fabric. QB is using browns, creams, greens in country fabrics...all scrappy. I'm using the white/gray fabric I bought last month for my background and using brights for the accent pieces. Ended up making the quilt bigger. Have all my
scrappy pieces cut, now to cut some background strips. And will have to get some border fabric as I'm using all the fabric for the larger layout. It's our summer project... and no the FQ's I bought won't be used in it! LOL