2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-03-2017, 09:58 AM

Krystyna: lovely quilt to come out of those memories. Very nicely done. And how great the members here helped you.....I love that about this group!

As for the fabric moratorium: I already "sort of" fell off the wagon. I had purchased 3 bundles of material from Marshall's Dry Goods. They made an oopsie with my order. They are going to fulfill the two bundles they didn't ship, but they asked if I was willing to keep the 1 "extra" bundle of mistake fabric I had received in error. They gave me a discount to cover the cost of the shipping, so I couldn't 'possibly' say no......

So now here I sit with two bundles of fabric (102 yards each!) and am waiting on the 2 bundles I had originally ordered.

Am I still allowed on the wagon as long as this is it for 2017?
I'm a bad bad girl.....
Old 01-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

Redstilettos - the nice thing about the wagon is that it makes frequent stops for us to get on again when we fall (or jump) off. WOW - 102 yards is quite the haul. I agree that you would have been foolish to return the extra package when it literally falls into your lap.

IF you placed the order at the end of 2016 (after Thanksgiving) you are off the hook anyway because we don't count that time.

See, no need to beat yourself up. It's all good here. R U going to show us your stacks?
Old 01-03-2017, 10:28 AM

Went to a organizing workshop at Houston and was intrigued by Lois Hallock's simple format. As I am/was totally sick of falling over stuff and not being able to find anything, I took the plunge. I really wanted nice cabinets to put my folded/organizes fabric. I was not convinced that I wanted to look at it all the time. Decided to hedge my bets and bought a nice metal shelf at Lowes. Holy mackerel, Lois was not kidding when she said you would find fabric you did not even know you had. What overwhelmed me was the gazillion fat quarters I had. Eventually put the fat quarters in a pile and just worked with flat folding anything bigger than a fat quarter. Soon discovered I needed another shelf. No problem, rearranged the room and that opened up more space for walking. Hummm, maybe Lois knew what she was talking about. Most of it I kept, but I did purge for donation too. Long and the short of it is all lengths are folded and organized on the two shelves, all ufo's are in a closed wardrobe. Those that did not fit were organized into "get done before summer" pile. Then I tackled the fat quarters. I took all of them and either organized them by color or topic. I had no idea that I had that many. Clearly I need to work on those. Regardless, my sewing space is mostly organized, I have wide clear paths I can get around it. However, I do not need any more fabric and therefore and taking the challenge. Unless something is needed to complete a project, I am done buying until some of this is used up. I swear on a stack of fat quarters! On a positive note, I sold a bunch of storage containers that I had emptied and made about $80!!
Old 01-03-2017, 10:35 AM

Redstilettos-- I don't think there's enough room on the wagon for 306 yards of fabric !
Old 01-03-2017, 01:46 PM

what a special quilt, Krystyna! As an aside, I'm also astounded at how quickly you got it put together, I can't wait to see how you quilt it.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 01-03-2017 at 01:47 PM. Reason: fixing spellcheckers "correction"
Old 01-03-2017, 01:59 PM

Redstilettos - So that's 408 yards of fabric? Wow, how fun is that!!! I'd spend hours just admiring it, petting a little, maybe blow a few kisses. What wagon? Did anyone see a wagon?
Old 01-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

For Christmas, I recieved a gift card from a lovely LQS. I figured I would take a class instead of purchasing fabric. I just got the email with this month's classes and nothing looks interesting. Now I have to be extra careful and hope that next month they will have a class that interests me. That gift card is burning a hole in my wallet. I think I see smoke!
Old 01-04-2017, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
One of the things I got done today was make a kit for a complete quilt from a pattern I put together in EQ. Also wrote cutting instructions for the blocks, setting triangles and squares, as well as three borders..now to put it together.
Off on a start for the new year, proud of you.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Bell
I vow not to purchase fabric in 2017 and use my humungous stash.

It has been 48 hours and 8 minutes and I have not purchased any fabric in 2017.
Bell you are too funny.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by redstilettos
Krystyna: lovely quilt to come out of those memories. Very nicely done. And how great the members here helped you.....I love that about this group!

As for the fabric moratorium: I already "sort of" fell off the wagon. I had purchased 3 bundles of material from Marshall's Dry Goods. They made an oopsie with my order. They are going to fulfill the two bundles they didn't ship, but they asked if I was willing to keep the 1 "extra" bundle of mistake fabric I had received in error. They gave me a discount to cover the cost of the shipping, so I couldn't 'possibly' say no......

So now here I sit with two bundles of fabric (102 yards each!) and am waiting on the 2 bundles I had originally ordered.

Am I still allowed on the wagon as long as this is it for 2017?
I'm a bad bad girl.....
It was not your doing, so you are all set in my book, lol. It wasn't something you chose to do, you just benefit from it. My thing was the coupons you get in the mail from Joann's. If you don't purchase something after a fashion they stop sending coupons, so I didn't want to lose that. But if I am not purchasing anything, I don't need coupons, so that took care of that problem, right!!