2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 10-23-2018, 04:27 AM

Susan, Happy, & Teen, thank you all for your sympathy & letting me whine a bit.
Teen, I’m sorry you’re so far away from your family with illness. I live 6 miles from one daughter & 1/2 mile from the other so we can all gather in times of need. I was only ever 200 miles from them & felt that was too far. It’s why I’m back in central Texas after 30+ years out in west Texas. I can’t imagine being 3000 miles away.
The good thing is we’re all recovering & still able to do the things we want. Even my daughter’s stroke was a mild one, though still unexplained, & she’s doing well. So hopefully we got all the bad over with & next year will be better. Come on, 2019!
Old 10-28-2018, 01:39 PM

I come around often and read your stories. Awe the good life and not so good at times. It's a good thing we have loads of stash and love to quilt! By the way, I've only spent $40.00 on fabric this year. See what y'all have done to me! And it's a good thing!
Old 10-28-2018, 02:06 PM

Good for you, Rhonda Lee....that must feel good....or.........not!! lol!! I love buying new and fresh fabric... Double edge sword, for sure.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

Good job, Rhonda Lee! The purchase for the background in my Burgoyne Surrounded bit into my stash accumulation, even though I am using it now.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:50 PM

Oops! After I've done so well this year with not buying any fabric or batting at all, I got a call from a friend who took my job as "Craft Lady" at the thrift shop. First, let me say that she is not a quilter. She said that she got 3 huge rolls of batting in and did I need any. She needed help with pricing it anyway... would I drop in to help her. Wow! 3 huge rolls of batting?! I couldn't resist. Away I went ...quickly! Well, it turned out to be 2 tiny crib-size packages and a new bolt of muslin.... fabric. (Did I tell you that she's no quilter?) I bought the batting. Now I have to do those push-ups! But I go to a seniors' exercise class 3 times a week... Do they count? If not, how many push-ups do I need to do? Please remember, I'm old, and these a just 2 tiny packs of batting! Be gentle, please.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:39 AM

Batting you will use soon doesn't require push ups. You donate so many quilts that it's a by.
Good for you that you have classes available and take advantage of them. I only have my yoga class, then I'm on my own. Oh, and a dog that requires walking.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:41 PM

Thank you, Irishrose! I'm not too good with push-ups! Yes, those 2 rolls will be used in donation quilts. In fact, I just used one today.

If you are on Medicare, and have the insurance that covers those Silver Sneakers classes, they are free at any fitness place that offer senior exercise classes. The insurance companies pick up the bill because it keeps us in shape and we don't have to go to the doctors often with aches and pains. Yipee!!
Old 10-29-2018, 03:27 PM

Congrates to everyone on not buying much fabric this year. I've done so-so.

I so want to go crazy with all of the sales going on in my area. I'm biting at the bit, waiting for BH to release the details on her mystery quilt for this year. I decided I want to buy Batiks and maybe change the colorway to my colors. She could surprise me and I may like her colorway. The last 2 years I really liked her colors. I also need to buy background fabric for several projects for the future. That I could wait to buy. The urge is there. I will wait until next month, then I will buy my fabric. At lease that's what I keep telling myself.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:40 PM

Great restraints everyone! Sorry to hear of your troubles everyone! I will be sending out wishes that the rest of this year and next will be less challenging. Sure is hard when life throws us curve balls.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by SillySusan
Thank you, Irishrose! I'm not too good with push-ups! Yes, those 2 rolls will be used in donation quilts. In fact, I just used one today.

If you are on Medicare, and have the insurance that covers those Silver Sneakers classes, they are free at any fitness place that offer senior exercise classes. The insurance companies pick up the bill because it keeps us in shape and we don't have to go to the doctors often with aches and pains. Yipee!!
I will have to look at my policy again. I read it as only covering one class a week. I don't know if the Y found a new instructor for their Senior Fit classes or if they on Priority's list. The Pilates is at a rehab place that also holds classes.