2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-17-2019, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I’m trying to finish the binding on a ( Christmas quilt) my (left thumb is giving me grief) but, I used 18 1/2 yards of stash fabric for the top and a 3 1/2 yard 118” wide backing I also had. All I had to purchase for this quilt was a king size batting.
ive been going through things, and trying to put together a plan for the new year. I do have totes of scrap batting I’m going to try to start using up too... 2020 moratorium here I come.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Last weekend at LQS anniversary sale (10th) I bought 10 FQ's, picking neutrals and grays. Started a chemo quilt and am using almost half of them in it, the rest stash...Win win.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:09 AM

Congrats, CK on the usage of what's on hand. I used up some odd pieces of batting too on some of the last quilts I made. I still have 4 to quilt, but they can wait. This week is prepping for 2 of the DGKs coming for the weekend to do our annual gingerbread party. I usually have all 6 here, but the 2 younger ones, 15 & 18 are no longer interested. The 2 oldest, 24 & 28 are out west and not coming home for Christmas. So that leaves the 2 locals, 21 & 24. They don't want to mess with tradition, so party we will have, even if it is only the 3 of us. So I need to get food in and clean up the house a bit and make up guest beds.

I am also gathering my thoughts for the 2020 moratorium. I managed to fight past all the bargains, only fell to a couple. Bluprint had some great deals on some batiks, and I got some bamboo knitting needles for $2 each for circulars. And I ordered dish rag yarn from createforless.com for the year's upcoming knitting and crocheting for next
Christmas charity giving.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:12 PM

I have a friend who did this for all of 2018. She did not buy one single piece of fabric and made a nice dent in her stash. She loved doing it, but couldn't wait to buy a piece of fabric!
Old 12-17-2019, 05:49 PM

petthefabric: Way to go using stash this month especially.

oksewglad: Yes to a win, win!

I worked a total of 12 hours over a weekend at a LQS for the owners because they gave their employees the weekend off if they wanted to attend their daughter’s wedding. It was exhausting. However, when I get paid, I will support the LQS by spending my earnings there. Lol! I’m making a list of things I would like to buy. Some of the money will go towards fabric for my first grandchild (boy) due mid February.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

Congratulations on the new baby! Grands are the greatest.

Have the tumbler blocks (6" cut) all cut out and the first 4 rows sewn. I figure I will have 4 7/8 yds in the top and binding using just 2 fq's of my new purchase or 4 3/8 yds of stash. When local box store was selling out last spring I bought some nice fleece blankets for $12. Will use one of them for the soft backing, but not included in my yardage usage.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:31 PM

Another top done from stash. I really like my Crazy Quilt die and am glad that I made kits over Labor Day. It makes it easy to grab a kit and sew.

66” by 80”. I don’t know why I didn’t get my math right for the border widths. I rechecked my math several times but I guess the mental part of my math wasn’t up to par this afternoon. Lol! Oh well. I’m going to leave it too narrow for the width (should be 70”) and I cut the length down. Ready to give to my church group to finish and donate.

p.s. The border fabric needs a good press. It wrinkles easily.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]621072[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 3157c5f4-8b6f-4ad4-be84-5742ec106d67.jpeg  

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 12-18-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

p.s. The border fabric needs a good press. It wrinkles easily.
Oh the "irony" of it! Seeing how quick you've turned out tops, I need to make up some kits too. Great idea!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-19-2019 at 03:55 AM. Reason: fix quote formatting
Old 12-18-2019, 10:39 PM

retired, the brights really pop on the gray!
Old 12-19-2019, 02:54 AM

I have been inspired by reading this thread to join in 2020. I have been quilting for under three years and don’t have a huge stash at all. Imagine my surprise when I did an inventory in the summer and found I had enough fabric for 30 quilts! Reading all the posts here from members who have containers upon containers of fabric has scared me straight!

I have made every mistake in the book as far as my buying habits. First I went nuts with FQs.....if I loved the fabric I bought it. Busy, colorful fabrics.....that did not go together. FQ bundle on clearance? Mystery FQ bundle? I could always use the ones I didn’t like in scrap quilts. Then the LQS guilt purchases. I couldn’t leave the store without purchasing something. Often this ended up being a charm pack. Why?! Then I discovered online deals. How many purchases were rationalized due to clearance prices. And then there were the ‘I’m already paying for shipping so I might as well add this item’ or......’I just need two more items to get free shipping’. And finally the panic buys....buying more of fabric I already had because I didn’t have a project in mind when the original purchase was made and I was worried I might not have enough when I made up my mind.

The end result is I own a lot of fabric I like but don’t love and have to struggle every time to find a suitable project for what I have purchased. I hate churning out a top I do not love just to use up some of my impulse buys.

I will need to make some purchases.....I have only enough backing and batting to finish about a dozen quilts.

I am determined to use up what I have and when I finally do I am determined to have a pattern in mind for future purchases......and then buy what I love, at full price if necessary, as in the end it will be less expensive than impulse buying sale fabric.

Here’s hoping for resolve and self-discipline in the new year!