2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-23-2019, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

Retired teach...that little grin makes it a "happy" quilt!

Good for you patski...great restraint!
Old 01-23-2019, 05:24 PM

Retiredteacher, that is so cute! Serendipity surprise!
Old 01-23-2019, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Last weekend I visited my favorite local quilt shop for some advice, hadn’t stopped in since last August. I spent an hour, figured out my next move on a quilt I’m trying to finish up for a special friend, wandered through to see what all was new and didn’t purchase any fabric. All I bought was a package of * TransferEze* for an embroidery project I’m working on. It was nice to visit & browse
Old 01-23-2019, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by patski
I didn't buy last year and plan to stay on my fabric diet. When I use up what I have I will shop again. It makes me more creative to use what I have
Good for you!! Since Jan., 2018, I have not bought any fabric except for 3 flat sheets I got (on a super sale) at a thrift shop to make crib sheets for donations to a crisis pregnancy center. And, I am making baby and kids quilts as fast as possible to use up a massive stash I have.

Let's keep it up! No new fabric until all the boxes, bins, stacks, shelves, closets, and totes are empty!!
Old 01-23-2019, 06:21 PM

Sewingitalltogether: I'm a visual person also. This past year, I kept track of how much yardage was used or donated. I tried to keep track of purchases but I wasn't as good at recording those purchases. I hope to do better this year. I also made a list of projects that I want to finish this year. I put target dates on them. We will see if that helps or if I get frustrated because of the target date approaching.

Oksewglad: I haven't been to my church quilting group for a while so I hope I don't have too big of a donation bag waiting for me. That 'grin' on the block does make it a happy quilt.

SillySusan: If I named my quilts, Serendipity Surprise would be a great name.

ckcowl: Great job of not buying any fabric. I have a BOM class at my LQS tomorrow night and I hope to stay strong.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:40 PM

Went in a LQS today, not to buy but to talk. Made it out in one piece. It was really hard, because I've got a new excuse for buying. I'm going to teach a class and need samples. Back to stash first!
Old 01-24-2019, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat
I'm currently piecing an Arkansas Crossroad made from stash fabrics. I don't know how I end up with so many scraps! I only buy yardage, but my scrap drawer is overflowing. And after cutting out the pieces for this top, I can't see I made a dent. I'm tempted to bag up all the scraps and give them away. But if I do that, I'll end up needing "just that piece" and will cut into yardage thus making more scraps. Yikes!
Arkansa Crossroads is one of my constant Ender/Leader projects and one of my favorite scrappy quilts...I have made two so far and you are right, it hardly seems to use up much of your stash. : )
[ATTACH=CONFIG]607284[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 7fe52bfc-6bb4-4ab5-8b55-33593b4b258b.jpeg  
Old 01-24-2019, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the inspiration to keep the fabric stash from growing. Still no fabric purchases so far. I took a tote bag to one of my sewing groups with scraps & 2.5" strips for the free table, 7.5 yds to a lady who makes clothing for kids in another country and some door prizes of used patterns and some more yardage. I have been ruthlessly looking at my scrap stash as well as the yardage stash. Pulled all the Ziplocs with projects and put in an open basket so they are in view. Developed a UFO list and posted by the machine. Cutting leader ender scraps and making up baggies of house blocks from Quiltville, Bonnie Hunter's Scrappy Happy Houses.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

jmoore and Belfry Bat...I like the Ark Cross pattern too. I have used it with 1" pieces and is very striking. Is your quilt made with 2 1/2" squares or 3 1/2" squares? Would you care to share how much light fabric is needed for a full sized quilt...I'd like to check my stash for the background fabrics.

AUQ..way to get things organzied!
Old 01-24-2019, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether
Ok, I'm not doing very good with fabric moratorium thing. I love fabric. Somehow it makes me happy. Ordered another 3 yards of a swirly batik. And 5 yards of applique interfacing. So far this month I've ordered off of the internet 4 times. Yes, I belong in this group. What I have started doing, which I have never done before, is writing down each purchase. That will give me a reality check. Instead of just buying at will, I will be able to see my purchases. I'm very visual. It will also help me to point out what I've bought to use on an immediate project or what I've just added to the stash.
I haven't joined the moratorium, but I read this thread for inspiration. I think writing down everything you buy is a great idea, and I'm going to start doing that.