2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-26-2019, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric
Success! Yesterday, for class we were instructed to go into the store and purchase 2 coordinating fabrics. Of course, that requires looking at the fabrics, which I've avoided for months. Oh, the new pretties. So, I thought, after class I'd come back out and buy. During class I decided I didn't really Need anything. Went home with the class project! Yeh!!
Good job Petthefabric. Your dedication is an inspiration to me.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
It is always (Dangerous) for me to go into any quilt shop with hubby along- he is a terrible Enabler! And he finds lots he thinks I should have. I have a whole stack ( like 14 yards) of wizard of oz fabrics from 7-8 years ago because he was sure I “ needed” them. I went into the store for a zipper- thought I was going to spend $2-$3 dollars- $254 later made it out. While I was looking for the right zipper he was stacking bolts on the cutting table! I’ve never done anything with those fabrics- ( Some day I will get to them) he also seems to have a thing for panels. I have many he has picked out, decided I needed. I love that he is proud of my quilting and wants to make sure I have what I need but....it is overwhelming sometimes.
Aw, CK, this actually very sweet that your DH is so supportive. But, I can empathize on being overwhelmed by sheer volume. I tend to avoid my sewing room when overwhelmed. It definitely is a reason to stay within a certain limit so that I can stay productive.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by LarasAussies
I’ve been following along for inspiration. My goal this year is to try and only use stash. We have several home improvement projects like replacing the deck, bathroom, and all the windows that need to get done this year. So every time I’m tempted to buy fabric I try to equate it to what I have to give up.. I can have this $50 worth of fabric or a new faucet...so far it’s worked.
Oh how exciting. Home improvements can be stressful. But, so rewarding on the outcome. What a great way to stay on track.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mary Christine
(My hubby kept asking...” did you look to see where there are quilt shops? “ “We could find you a quilt shop tomorrow if you know where there is one...”
nope, it’s ok
i thought about all I had at home, the projects I have planned, the stacks and totes of scraps. I just didn’t want to add anything- and when we visit them I always feel that I need to purchase ( something- a book, new tool, fabulous new fabric) nope, not this time.)
I think your husband and mine must be cut from the same bolt! LOL My husband is Always trying to get me to go into quilt shops when we travel, and like you, I can't go in without buying something. Lord knows I have enough stuff to keep me occupied for another lifetime!
Still, I almost fell off the wagon this morning. Those darned emails lured me in to a shop and I kept putting things into my shopping cart, trying to get enough for free shipping. When I went to check out and saw my total (never did get to free shipping) I said No Way! and deleted it all. And I will be deleting those emails without opening them, since I am so prone to giving in to temptation.
I thought this fabric moratorium would be a breeze. I was wrong. I have no willpower!
I'd say you have an awful lot of will power. After all, you did not complete the sale. Great job.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:27 PM

Entirely not my fault...I was lucky to get into a foundation paper piecing (FPP) class at QuiltCon that someone had to sell. Since I did not plan for this class when I left home last Wednesday, I had to purchase 7-10 FQs in the Vendor Mall for Sarah Thomas’ “GetLit” paper pieceing class. It was worth the money !
Old 02-26-2019, 08:35 PM

I slit open a packed box for some fabric I needed. I refuse to buy knowing I have something already...and, I have to keep my creativity exercised..and to keep anxiety in check. You'll be pleased to know that what I needed was right on top. Perfect!
Old 02-26-2019, 10:07 PM
Power Poster

Desperate times call for desperate measures, Teen!

Anyone used Steam a Seam2? Brought some home for a new project.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:26 PM

Good on you, Teen. That's excellent determination.

Mary Christine, I concur--that's a lot of willpower. It's one thing to fight your own temptations, but to have a DH encouraging you to seek out shops is quite another. You are stronger than you think!
Old 02-27-2019, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Desperate times call for desperate measures, Teen!

Anyone used Steam a Seam2? Brought some home for a new project.
Yes, I used Steam a Seam 2 for a Laura Heine collage pattern. It was very easy to work with and I used almost a yard and a half.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Teen
I slit open a packed box for some fabric I needed. I refuse to buy knowing I have something already...and, I have to keep my creativity exercised..and to keep anxiety in check. You'll be pleased to know that what I needed was right on top. Perfect!
Good for you, Teen!! You are an inspiration for all of us!!