2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-31-2019, 05:58 PM

Wow Silly Susan that is serious reducing of stash congrats! Wish you luck on finding fabric Teen. I'm patting myself on the back as I resisted the sale at LQS. No stash buying yeah me! Thanks for encouragement.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:30 PM

Silly Susan, you are an inspiration. You are doing wonderful using up your stash. An almost or empty box is quite the accomplishment.

I have purchase a couple of quilt books lately. But, no more fabric after the last couple of FQ purchase. I received them and am so pleased with the quality. But, will refrain from anymore purchases for the moment. I am involved in a couple of projects at the moment. And, they are keeping me very busy using up scraps from the scrap bin and yardage from the fabric drawers. Not a lot as they are small projects. But, I am happily piecing along. And staying busy and out of trouble.

Teen, if you have access to your boxes, I would open up a few and see if anything calls to you. But, if it doesn't work out, And, you can work it into the budget, just go get yourself what your looking for. Be happy and quilt. It is really difficult when you are in between one place and the other. And, your DWR is going to take time and will keep you busy.

Yes, lol, enabler call my name. (sorry) I think it's in my DNA.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:50 PM

So inspired by how well everyone is doing!

(Teen, what was the collection that caught your eye?)
Old 04-01-2019, 04:40 AM

Been staying in the wagon for a few weeks. Emptying scrap containers and clearing scrap piles along the way. Been putting "I don't love it anymore" fabrics/blocks/patterns in box to take to free table on sew days. I cut down estate sale purchased blocks to back a quilt. Bagged up some truly unloved fabric for a church program. Just finished webbing a scrap quilt and will post when it is finished- almost 900 pieces, 2" X 3.5". All of this "stash touching" has kept me from even looking at the few emails I still get from my favorite online websites.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:44 AM

Well, I succumbed to the allure of a bag of scraps this weekend, $4.99 for a huge bag. Hubby and I have a date to go bowling on Sunday mornings which is the only time period he usually has off. We went to our usual place and they were having some sort of event, so we went further down the road (quite a distance actually!) to another set of lanes we hadn't been to before. Bowling was good and then on the way back we took the scenic route and stopped at a Goodwill that I've never been to before, it was part of the hubby's secret plan to get me to those bowling lanes. It's funny how the different stores have different personalities, this was set up much more like a retail clothing store but I went to the linens section and found a bag of really happy bright pieces. I could tell they weren't anything special in terms of fabric, Joann and Walmart FQs mostly, but it was a nice usable collection well put together in terms of color and style. It varies a lot by piece, but some of the Waverly? Wamsutta?? from Walmart is actually rather nice quality of fabric while others are just not so good.

So now I'm doing penance in the form of prewashing and ironing. Ugh! For as much as I love my fabric, I hate the prewashing. Especially with smaller pieces, roughly FQ size I just throw in with the regular laundry, smaller I put into lingerie bags, but I still end up with a mess of tangled threads and then I have to iron all this stuff. But the pieces smaller than my 6.5" go into my box of scraps to be sent to my crumb quilter as do the trimmings from the used ends.

I need to get off the computer and get going on framing those 9-patches for the comfort quilt. I got a rather confusing email message from one of the ladies and wanted confirmation from our group hostess whether or not to continue as I had planned so sent her a picture of my one completed block. Got the answer back late that yes, I was doing what I was supposed to do.

I've been in this small group for about a year, knew one of the members and was in a different group with her for years but this is the first time I've done a group project with them. It's been nice watching the group dynamics as we figured out an idea and approach without a whole lot of time to think about things. Some times you have a natural leader, this group we are all leaders in our own ways. But we very respectfully had discussions and arrived on a consensus of opinions and a reasonable distribution of the work. I don't have a very good vision of what the final product will look like, but I know what I need to do today so while another load of fabric is clumping together in the washer, it's time to sew!
Old 04-01-2019, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Everyone is doing great...keep at it..Not so for me...I went to a huge sale and bought 50+ yards of misc pieces...woe is me!
Old 04-01-2019, 08:42 AM

Lol...omgosh, OK! You didn't just fall off the wagon, you catapulted off! Lol.. Grab my hand, girl, and get back on here...
Old 04-01-2019, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom
So inspired by how well everyone is doing!

(Teen, what was the collection that caught your eye?)
Sage & Seaglass by Kim Diehl for Riley Blake. Keepsake is offering it but I'm sure others are too. The two quilt kits featured on Keepsake are gorgeous but majorly costly. This color combos just caught my eye..
Old 04-01-2019, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Everyone is doing great...keep at it..Not so for me...I went to a huge sale and bought 50+ yards of misc pieces...woe is me!
More than 50 yards!!!?? What were you thinking? We have to figure out some penalty for this misbehavior! No M&Ms for a month ?... or maybe even 2 months!!? How many push-ups would it take?! Maybe 50 a day for a week!! Woe is you indeed!!
Old 04-01-2019, 11:30 AM

No teasing from me -- score for Oksewglad! Makes me feel better about my bag of scraps Besides, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. And like I've been saying, collecting fabric is ok and nothing to be ashamed about. Just because we are trying not to buy or reduce our stash doesn't mean some fabric can't find it's way in through our defenses.

Ok, now it's time to buck it up and get back on the no-buying horse!

Finished my framed 9-patches for the comfort quilt, ironed a bunch more fabric... Waiting to hear back on trimming the blocks down. Ask twice, cut once! I would think to trim it down with the 9-patch centered as much as possible and I think the cut size is 5.5", me I would have wimped out and made it fit a 6 or 6.5" ruler.
Attached Thumbnails even-trim.jpg