2019 UFO Challenge

Old 08-26-2019, 06:25 AM

haven't been doing my ufo's ladies at my sewing group are having a retreat for whatever, I have dug out 3 ufo and taking them. won't get them all done but its better then starting another one. which I have been doing this summer since my Mom passed away, time to finish as there are so many unfinished in my sewing room, out numbers finished Here is hoping I can at least get one done starting Wed. We will see, one has outside setting triangles which I have a horrible time figuring out. Hoping I can get some help and then get the star quilt done. Wish me luck, and that will be the tops but I will immediately take to the LA when done
Old 08-26-2019, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I miscalculated...current WIP UFO has almost 1200 2.5 squares! Tickled as I have 6 of the 13 rows sewn in pairs. I had to place fabrics in 2 sessions as the whole quilt wouldn't fit on the tablecloth design wall! I originally planned to use cotton backing with a row of blocks off set, but might use a minky type instead...I think I have a light tan that's big enough. Hope to get it down in the next week or so.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:54 AM

You are going to town on that, OK. I still am having difficulty wrapping my head around the idea that you just "discovered" 143 10" squares blocks. Lol...

tohorse....sounds like a good plan for the retreat. Hope you have a good time since this summer has been so difficult. So sorry to hear of the loss of your mother.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

Actually Teen they are 10" blocks, another miscalculation on my part!

I am embarrassed to admit how many UFO's I have. Our guild is presenting a UFO challenge to our members...strictly voluntary...but we are offering rewards for finishes. As a program committee member, I need to set an example. I hope to use this as a personal incentive. And I will not reap the rewards, other than getting a UFO finished.

By the way...anyone have ideas we can use for incentive rewards? We have limited funds hoping to come up with some inexpensive, but fun ideas. I picked up a couple of little cups for 50cents that are maybe 2" tall that I plan on turning into pin cushions. I also picked up a composition notebook with graph paper pages which i will put a cute cover on. i thought I'd go through some of my old buttons and put together a button assortment..maybe add some odds and ends of old needlework. Another member came buy a bunch of nice zippers at a rock bottom price that we will add. Seam rippers are also on the list. I need to look at my Pinterest page for some ideas I have over there.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:05 PM

This past 5 days, finished 2 more UFO's. Quilted 2 more, they need binding.

My surgery is tomorrow. Arrival time is 5:15AM. I didn't know that happened 2x each day. I'm a little spaced out this time around. I've washed my hair, completed 1 antiseptic shower and gathered cloths for tomorrow after surgery. The hospital called today for preop medical history and surgery day instructions. The Dr office called with arrival time. Sister called to confirm time for her to come. She's staying at least 1 wk. Daughter called to find out when to come to sit with me. I feel loved and cared for. Husband is taking shower and then will discuss final details and dry my hair (it's long and takes hours to dry naturally). House is stocked with groceries.

There is more to do, just got meloncholy and read most of day.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

Best of luck...petthefabric.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:41 AM

Be well, pet. sounds like your care team is in place and raring to go.. You are so blessed to have them... Put your cares away and focus on wellness! Keep us updated...
Old 08-27-2019, 06:03 PM

Sending prayers your way, petthefabric.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I'm one of these people who jump from one thing to another...as a dairy farmer raising 4 kids that's how my days went most of my life. Now that much of that life is behind me, I still jump from one thing to another. I'm working on the 143 block UFO, but fit that project in between others when I want to sit down. So I'm purging and cleaning and found a denim quilt I started in 1992. It was to be for my son's dorm room...his son goes off to college next fall..better get Dad's done before I give GS his. (BTW GS's is done and waiting for him in a golf themed pillowcase.) A Hole in the Barn Door pattern was sandwiched with a poly batting a sheet for backing...we didn't have wide backings back in the 80's and 90's. I had started to big stitch the quilt and had it about 1/3 done. 9:00 PM last night I started ripping the stitching out and removing the safety pins and said "I'll just put this on the LA." Then I'll go to bed "Well what's the tension looks like..looks good." Then I'll go to bed. I'm going to do some quick loops to see how it looks and then go to bed....the joke's on me. I went to bed a 3:00 AM after taking the 70 x 92" UFO off the LA! A large piece of red plaid flannel was with the quilt for binding...looks like 1 1/4 yard...enough for a bias binding. So now to trim the quilt and make the binding! Then I will hand off the quilt to FarmerSon and tell him to keep warm at school...hahaha.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:25 AM

Wow, oksewglad, you were on a roll! Don't forget to sleep sometime!