Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL >
  • Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

• Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Old 01-04-2015, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Gay
    kaelynangelfoot - love love love your no. 2 block fabrics, will you do the whole quilt in these ? Probably not, but I just have to say it would look fabulous. And is the embroidery by hand or machine? [ it looks like 'couching' ] Doubt if I will do this quilt, too many other things to do, but am going to follow along.

Gay
    Thank you! I have a fat quarter pack of Asian fabrics by Robert Kaufman that I am using for this quilt, so while those fabrics will show up again, they will be mixed with a variety of others. The embroidery is by hand using DMC pearl cotton and using the stem stitch recommended in the book.
    Old 01-04-2015, 07:01 AM

I finally got out my embroidery machine to try - and this works very well. The saving grace is that it can sew very, very slow, which makes up for not being able to adjust the foot pressure. This is an older machine (but not anywhere near "old" in my book) and I think that feature was added on later models.

I'm going to finish up the test blocks with this machine, and it's very likely I'll use it for my gold set. Not sure what I'll do for the outlining on these yet.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:29 AM

Well everyone, it is January 5 and I suppose this marks the "official" beginning of our QAL (or technically, yesterday). So glad to have all of you with me on this journey, Happy Quilting!
    Old 01-05-2015, 02:57 PM

Thanks Kaelnangelfoot...had a little practicse and it looks like that I will be starting out of sequence. I am hand applique at the original dimensions using needle turn, and some of those early blocks look 'fiddly" so I may jump to the blocks with larger pieces just to get a bit of practice under my belt!
    Old 01-06-2015, 05:40 AM

I've got three of the first set left to put the outline embroidery on, then I'll start on the stitching for the first block of the gold set. I found two blocks I really don't care for, so I'm going to change them a bit. I'm also going to change some of the outline embroidery too.

I still have not decided on the embroidery on the hand stitched black background. I'm leaning towards skipping the gold and going with a variegated thread - really like how that looked on kaelyn's block.
    Old 01-06-2015, 07:19 AM

Just found this thread. How inspiring. The way you share information and your work is just gorgeous. I am a newbie at applique, only having completed one needle turn project called Jingle. My two favorite methods are needle turn and the satin stitched edge ones, although I have yet to actually try the satin stitch. Hmmmm do I really need another project?
    Old 01-06-2015, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S
    Just found this thread. How inspiring. The way you share information and your work is just gorgeous. I am a newbie at applique, only having completed one needle turn project called Jingle. My two favorite methods are needle turn and the satin stitched edge ones, although I have yet to actually try the satin stitch. Hmmmm do I really need another project?
    You do, you really do....
    Old 01-07-2015, 06:39 AM
    dd

Got my book yesterday! YAY!!! Started my 1st block last night. The UPS man brought it in 4" of snow yesterday. He said to me, How come nobody wants my job in weather like this? Everyone wants my job when it's 70 and sunny. Told him I was going back inside where it's warm to quilt more.lol
    Old 01-07-2015, 07:06 PM

Block #1 done - only 35 more to go!

I did the satin stitch and embroidery on the Pfaff, and then switched to my 1932 Singer 15-91 for the FMQ.

I outlined the pieces, then trimmed the batting.

Then I sandwiched it again and did stippling in the middle and outline on the outside. I think I may prefer stippling on the outside. I can always do some of both, or try something different on the different blocks.

Here is the front side.

I tried to get a picture of how the two layers turned out. Not as puffy as I was hoping for though.

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-07-2015 at 07:11 PM.
    Old 01-08-2015, 03:41 AM

Beautiful work! Thank you for showing the steps.