Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL >
  • Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

• Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Old 12-04-2014, 03:35 PM

I have a couple of questions--would it look alright to use a blanket stitch to secure the pieces? I was going to try needle turned, but the pieces are so small, I don't think it will work. Also, the colors I chose are all batiks, but the background is
    not. Do you think that will work. I have several blocks cut out with iron on glue and don't want to start something that won't look good. I have had the book and fabric for quite awhile, but have been hesitant to start it. Thanks for any help.
    Sue
    Old 12-04-2014, 07:40 PM

Susie have a look at this link -http://born2quilt.blogspot.com/2010/12/affairs-of-heart-aie-rossman-pattern.html this is apparently a batik AOTH
    As for the question of blanket stitch there have been many threads o this board related to raw edge applique which might help you
    Old 12-05-2014, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
    I have a couple of questions--would it look alright to use a blanket stitch to secure the pieces? I was going to try needle turned, but the pieces are so small, I don't think it will work. Also, the colors I chose are all batiks, but the background is
    not. Do you think that will work. I have several blocks cut out with iron on glue and don't want to start something that won't look good. I have had the book and fabric for quite awhile, but have been hesitant to start it. Thanks for any help.
    Sue
    Yes to both your questions. I use blanket stitch all time for my appliqué and use batiks on a non-batik background (see Avatar). I'm using Kona Premium for my background - winging it's way across the Atlantic I hope - and plan on using the Hoffman Bali Crackers I got in last year's January Sale (bought on a whim, but just knew they'd come in handy .
    Old 12-07-2014, 07:18 AM

My background fabric made it in! Now to throw it all in the washer and get it ironed. [ATTACH=CONFIG]501507[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 1207141010sm.jpg  
    Old 12-07-2014, 08:22 AM

I made this with the first group. I enlarged my blocks to 15.5 unfinished. It was for a grand daughter and she has one of those very high king sized beds. She still has it on her bed and loves it. I did needle turn hand applique on it. It turned out so beautiful. I use black bg and bright primaru colors for the blocks.jo
    Old 12-07-2014, 09:54 AM

This is going to be so pretty. You're making me rethink my colors!

Originally Posted by kaelynangelfoot
    My background fabric made it in! Now to throw it all in the washer and get it ironed. [ATTACH=CONFIG]501507[/ATTACH]
    Old 12-07-2014, 11:34 AM

loving those fabrics!
    Old 12-07-2014, 01:23 PM

Just putting in a little practise and block one scrolls are looking like a nightmare. I think I will reverse applique this one or back bast it
    Old 12-07-2014, 04:01 PM

I've been going through my stash and pulling out the metallic and others I thought I might like.

Then I took the book upstairs and tried to decide which ones I'd want to use. . . . and I found myself drawn to the solid colors and not the patterns. I looked at quite a few variations of this pattern online and found I was drawn to those using solid colors. I think part of it is that the pieces are so small. I have to be honest and say I'm not a real fan of the fabric choices used in the book, but that is the fun of doing this, I don't have to follow the directions if I don't want to LOL!!

So back to my stash and pulled out more. Most of these are tonal, but it's more subtle.

And a few batiks in case I need more "pop".

Though maybe when my background fabric shows up, I'll change my mind again (OK, so maybe I just like pulling out fabric so I can look at it!) the bad part is putting it all away.
    Old 12-07-2014, 07:11 PM

Those are beautiful fabrics Macy!