• Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >
  • Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

• Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 01-02-2016, 07:47 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
    How do you sew the 4 pieces of the setting triangle pieces together????? I am thinking to do it this way, let me know if there is a better way---
    1. Sew the short side of one of the long rectangles to the small 4 patch unit.
    2. Sew one side of the triangle to the side of a second long rectangle piece.
    3. Sew 1 and 2 together, matching the outside edges.

i did not see any instructions from Bonnie on this.
    That will certainly work. Just be sure to match the intersection of the 4 pieces well. Remember not to cut off any excess until these are sewn into their places.
    Old 01-03-2016, 04:01 AM

Jeanne, that is exactly how I am doing it, but matching the center seam first and foremost secondly the outer edge. Pressing both towards the neutral so the seam nestle.
    Old 01-03-2016, 01:24 PM

Greetings and Clue number 3 question??

First time poster, first time Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt - I need help! I am just starting this quilt - with clue number 3 and I am not understanding the complete directions for the FINISHED square. If you follow the directions for sewing the four patch with the top seam up - the finished square has the neutrals on the top left. The picture of the completed square shows the "golds" on the top left.

I looked at the Clue 3 link up and some have the "golds" on the top left and some have the "neutrals" on the top left.

What is the correct placement and pressing? I feel I should see it but am missing something.

This is a lovely board with so many helpful people - let me say thank you for being the greatest resource as well as a friendly community.
    Old 01-03-2016, 02:29 PM

some pictures are of the front of the fabric and some are the back or 'wrong' side
    Old 01-03-2016, 02:35 PM

When you press seams to gold, then lay the "sets" together to make the 4 patch top seam pointing up the piece your looking at will have gold on top, neutral on bottom. When you open the block and press that just sewn seam up the back side of the block the neutral will be upper lt side, at least that is how I did mine, hoping I did it right.
    Old 01-03-2016, 02:48 PM

Everyone has made such fast progress and the results are great!!

Jeanne S - I have been reading through and I was amazed at your calculations for the number of pieces used in each clue! Do you have a final count on the number of pieces for the entire quilt??
    Old 01-03-2016, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by GoSew
    Greetings and Clue number 3 question??

First time poster, first time Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt - I need help! I am just starting this quilt - with clue number 3 and I am not understanding the complete directions for the FINISHED square. If you follow the directions for sewing the four patch with the top seam up - the finished square has the neutrals on the top left. The picture of the completed square shows the "golds" on the top left.

I looked at the Clue 3 link up and some have the "golds" on the top left and some have the "neutrals" on the top left.

What is the correct placement and pressing? I feel I should see it but am missing something.

This is a lovely board with so many helpful people - let me say thank you for being the greatest resource as well as a friendly community.
    I don't think it will matter when it comes to using the units. You will be able to rotate the unit whichever way you need to to make the seams nest with the clue #4 units.
    Old 01-03-2016, 02:56 PM

Well folks, what a fun time this has been! I've made two of the gold middle star blocks, they fit together well and I did not need to trim anything. Big improvement for me! 28 more to go. I have not tried the red middle blocks yet nor the triangles. One step at a time for me. I am happy to be at this point. When I made the Orca Bay quilt it took me 3 years to complete. Not this time thank goodness!
    Old 01-03-2016, 03:01 PM

I have five more stars to make before I start assembly. Slow and steady...
    Old 01-03-2016, 04:35 PM

I'm taking it slowly but I've got seven blocks finished. I'm doing the centers of the non-star blocks as square in a square with the inner square in a turquoise blue and the outer in reds. Also doing the 18 birds in the air units that are used in the border with turquoise squares in place of the black squares. I wanted to add the blue in and this seems to be working. Otherwise I'm doing the original colors.