Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >
  • Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

• Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 11-15-2015, 12:11 PM

It is actually on her home page...watching it now. The archived show is on the link I posted above. http://quiltville.blogspot.com/
    Old 11-15-2015, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom
    While I won't be able to sew along this year, I was considering what fabrics I might use if I were making the quilt. I loved last year's quilt, but I didn't enjoy working with black, so I think I would change the black to cypress green, and change the gray to blue. Do you think this would work, or would it be too much bright?
    Joe's Mom....if you gray scale the paint chips there are two darks (red & black) two mediums(yellow & gray) and one light(neutrals)...love the dragonfly and they are a great dark but the blue is too dark to take the place of the gray IMHO.....a lighter blue could surely be comparable to the gray paint chip.....again this is just my honest opinion and like everyone else I have no idea what the blocks for the quilt will look like but in all Bonnie Hunter quilts that I have seen it is the contrast that pops the design.
    opinion written with quilty luv , Diane
    Old 11-15-2015, 06:47 PM

I appreciate your input, Diane! I forgot about gray scaling the photo, and how useful that can be in judging value.
    Old 11-16-2015, 02:27 PM
    Power Poster

Ugh... how dumb was I??? I just got my order from Thousands of Bolts. I like them because they have such a huge selection of FQs. I ordered 10 FQs to help round out my color groups for Allietaire, plus the yard and a half of gray. Out of the 10 FQs, I can only use 4. Three of my "blacks" ended up being GREENs, and another one is a BROWN. One of my golds is too greenish and another one is too dark... like a tan. And that yard and a half of gray? It's TAUPE! Totally wrong. So, I will put these aside and will go shopping at a brick and mortar fabric shop. Learned my lesson.
    Old 11-16-2015, 02:29 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom
    I appreciate your input, Diane! I forgot about gray scaling the photo, and how useful that can be in judging value.
    You can also lay your fabrics out and then SQUINT at them to see only value. The darks and lights will really stand out to you when you squint. Learned that trick from my amazing high school art teacher, so long ago!
    Old 11-16-2015, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Ugh... how dumb was I??? I just got my order from Thousands of Bolts. I like them because they have such a huge selection of FQs. I ordered 10 FQs to help round out my color groups for Allietaire, plus the yard and a half of gray. Out of the 10 FQs, I can only use 4. Three of my "blacks" ended up being GREENs, and another one is a BROWN. One of my golds is too greenish and another one is too dark... like a tan. And that yard and a half of gray? It's TAUPE! Totally wrong. So, I will put these aside and will go shopping at a brick and mortar fabric shop. Learned my lesson.
    The perils of Internet shopping when you're trying to match colors. My stash has been expanded by many similar attempts.
    Old 11-16-2015, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Been there, done that!! It is a real crap shoot trying to get exact/close color matches from Internet shopping. I will say I have better luck with fabric.com than Thousands of Bolts in this respect, I think TOB thumbnail fabric icons are not very accurate at all on color hues.
    Old 11-17-2015, 04:55 AM

Went to Lowes yesterday and got my color cards. Now just have to get the fabric as I know I don't have enough neutrals, and some of the others too. I am looking at the colors and wondering how Bonnie is going to put it all together. Part of the mystery! I am really going to enjoy this, not only because I get to do a quilt with a wonderful group of quilters but because I have never made anything that Bonnie has designed.
    Old 11-17-2015, 06:24 AM

Only 10 more sleeps until the first clue is posted! Is everyone ready to get started?

My stack of fabric is just sitting there waiting to be cut into little, tiny pieces. However, I keep thinking maybe I should tweak this or tweak that so I'm trying not to look at that stack too often so I stick with my original choices. I leave for a retreat in Texas tomorrow morning and know that we will be stopping along the way at quilt shops and such. Hopefully I'll be able to resist the urge to buy more mystery quilt fabric----NOT! At least I'll have something to occupy my mind during the wait for the first clue.

SPECIAL NOTE: Christmas Day is on a Friday this year. Bonnie announced during her Quilt Cam the other day that she would not be posting a clue on Christmas Day but instead would post it on the day after Christmas (Saturday). Thought you'd like to know.
    Old 11-17-2015, 06:57 AM

lol....here i am collecting all my bits and pieces of reds and wondering if they will be big enough for their spot in the design. I do have yardage but plan to use the pieces first !!! This is so much fun !!! Good luck Miss Rita ...I can picture you now in the neutrals finding the perfect icybluish,creamy, white.