Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >
  • Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

• Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 12-03-2015, 08:36 AM

I did participate in one that was split, it was a UFO challenge. One thread was for progress reports and one was for photos of the finished project. It was a great idea, but in practice, it led to a lot of confusion.
    Old 12-03-2015, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom
    I've got it! I've got it! I found that when I angle my cutter (more than I'm accustomed to doing) with the Easy Angle ruler, I get a more accurate cut. Since my pieces were coming out too big, my seam allowance had to be adjusted too big, which was causing all sorts of problems. Now, with more accurate cutting and an adjusted seam allowance, I am getting perfect 2" squares, with only the dog ear to trim off. This should speed me up, since it was the trimming of all these lopsided squares that was eating up my time. Woo hoo! (I'm going to start angling my cutter more with my regular ruler, too, as I think this is why my strips always seemed to be a hair too wide.)
    I am so glad you figured out your issue. It seemed to me I needed to angle my rotary cutter a little more with the EA ruler too. Will have to pay closer attention to it and whenever we need to use the Companion Angle ruler too!
    Old 12-03-2015, 09:03 AM

I surely hope this is kept to one thread, so all the info is in one place. It would be very confusing to try to go back through separate threads, IMHO.
    Old 12-03-2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]536896[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]536897[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]536898[/ATTACH]The first pic was my original fabric selection. My in laws loved my GI from last year. I would have given it to them, but I had a new king size bed and it was the only king size quilt I had. So I vowed to make this year's mystery for them. Then the color choices came out and I knew those wouldn't work for their house. So after much thought, I decided to be brave enough to try my own color choices this year. When the first clue came out, I looked at my grey against my "neutrals", the light purple, and knew I needed to do something. So I died the 4 yards with half a box of black rit dye, and now I'm really pleased with my grey. Last pic is my is my 540 HSTs. I'm planning on a king sized, and don't want to go back to the beginning after the reveal like I did last year.
    Love it! I am excited to see how yours turns out.
    Old 12-03-2015, 09:25 AM
    Power Poster

If I were to buy an Accuquilt Go die for cutting these hst's, I'd need to get the one that says it finishes at 2 inches, right? Meaning that you sew the two hst's together to get a finished 2 inch square.

It is confusing until you get your head around Finished size not cut size.

Bonnie clearly states :
    Triangles will measure 2’’ and finish at 1 1/2’’ in the quilt
    Finished size is always the size the piece will be when sewn in a quilt.

I used the Go die number 55319. Waiting for the next clue to see what die I will need to buy if I don't have it. Her last few quilts I could cut all the pieces with Go dies. I think I have all the sizes she uses.

Last edited by Onebyone; 12-03-2015 at 09:27 AM.
    Old 12-03-2015, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts
    If you click on SETTINGS at the top of the page,
    then on the left click on General Setting
    At the bottom of the options is a drop down menu in which you can set how many posts to show on a page. The most is 40 which for me today makes this thread only 12 pages long. Less intimidating

The mechanics of this forum work well. If you open a thread, and then click on VIEW FIRST UNREAD, it will take you to that post in the thread and you can read on from there.
    Thanks, for the information. We don't see the tab for settings in mobile mode, have to go back to full site. I did and set things up in a way that will make things easier. I still think a separate thread for each clue would be good but I seem to be the only one so far who thinks so, so I'll go with the group wisdom.

BJ
    Old 12-03-2015, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    I'd prefer every post in one thread. Multiple threads would leave me lost!
    Yes, I agree. We did it this way for previous BH mysteries. I find the View Unread link very useful for this as well as other threads that I follow.
    Old 12-03-2015, 01:17 PM

Whew! Yippee! And yay! Clue 1 is sewn and trimmed.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]536931[/ATTACH]
    I have it on my gold fabric which is not as bright as Bonnie suggested but it was in my stash and I like it. I am worried that there is not enough contrast. Going to try to work with it anyway.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]536932[/ATTACH]
    I thought my little HST were perfect and would not have to be trimmed. Ha.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
    Old 12-03-2015, 02:01 PM

I finally made it! I finished my Clue #1 today. I think I may not be a good enough sewer to do one of Bonnie's designs. The photos she posted of her sewing the half-square triangles makes me wonder how I could possibly get mine perfect the way she does. I can't seem to keep the pieces together under the presser foot, and my seam doesn't end up at the correct spot. I reduced the pressure on the presser foot a little, but that didn't seem to help much. Oh, well, I guess I will just have to struggle through. And now I can't seem to upload a photo of my work. Aaarggghhhhhhh!

Leslie
    Old 12-03-2015, 02:09 PM

All things considered at this point, we will be leaving this thread all in one place. It worked so well last year and hopefully it will be the best way to do it again this year.

It's wonderful seeing so many of you getting Clue #1 done or partially done. Tomorrow morning we'll be getting Clue #2 !! Remember, if you haven't finished Clue #1 when the second clue is released, it's no big deal. Just stop working on Clue #1 for the time being and do a few of the Clue #2 units. As time allows between clues, you can go back and finish up the prior clues. It's not a race so don't get stressed as the next clues are revealed.