Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >
  • Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

• Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 11-03-2015, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by SuziSew
    I kind of wondered about the same thing. I was a lurker during the GI last year and wondered if all (most) of the fabric was used making the quilt? This year's mystery is about 82 x 96 and works out to less than 6 square yards. The fabric requirements (unless I really read them wrong) totals over 14 yards. I guess it just seems...excessive.

Does anyone from last year know if the yardage is accurate or did you have a lot left over??
    I usually do a half-size, so I can't really say whether the requirements are totally accurate, but I think they are pretty close. Pulling 1/2 the fabric for a 1/2 size quilt worked out pretty well the last few years - not too tight, but not tons left over, either. Keep in mind Bonnie loves little pieces. By the time you add all those seam allowances, you end up needing a lot more fabric than you would for a quilt made with larger pieces.
    Old 11-03-2015, 01:04 PM
    Suz

I must be a dumb as a mud fence. I went to http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2015/...allietare.html and cannot find the instructions. Please lead me by the hand w/directions. Thanks.
    Old 11-03-2015, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P
    I want to join in, and have a question. I went to the BH blog and read the fabric requirements and am I right in reading that I will need 5 1/2 yards of Neutrals?
    Love how some of you have posted your fabrics, gives me ideas for mine and really does help.
    Yes, I wondered about that, too. For that reason I have waited to assemble the neutrals; I don't have many "scraps" so I'd have to buy the neutral fabric. Hopefuly it's a typo.
    Old 11-03-2015, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Suz
    I must be a dumb as a mud fence. I went to http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2015/...allietare.html and cannot find the instructions. Please lead me by the hand w/directions. Thanks.
    Hi Suz,

When you go to that link, click on the tab at the top of the page for Allietare Mystery. When you get to that page, scroll down to the word "Introduction" that is underlined and in blue. That will take you to the color/fabric requirements and other info. Each Friday, you go to that same tabbed area on her blog and she will have "Step 1", "Step 2", etc. posted under the Introduction. Hope this helps.
    Old 11-03-2015, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P
    I want to join in, and have a question. I went to the BH blog and read the fabric requirements and am I right in reading that I will need 5 1/2 yards of Neutrals?
    Love how some of you have posted your fabrics, gives me ideas for mine and really does help.
    Hi Sandra. You read it correctly.....it said 5 1/2 yards of neutrals! Usually when she lists this much yardage (but not always) it means that there could be some strip piecing (or string piecing) in the quilt. That takes a lot of different fabrics in different widths. She may have over-estimated slightly but it will be pretty close for the larger sized quilt.
    Old 11-03-2015, 01:37 PM

yardage requirements...
    there are never any pieces bigger than 3" and 2.5 is more the standard in Bonnies quilts.
    On all 4 sides of that 2.5" block is 1/4" of seam...1 inch of fabric, buried in the back.. My dear Jane quilt took just shy of 15.5 yards of fabric. Little pieces = tons of seams allowances

And Bonnie always gives some wiggle room in the yardage requirements. Be patient, be brave it will all be fine
    Old 11-03-2015, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Suz
    Hi, Suz - if you are at the same link you posted, on that same page, (or on Bonnie's Home page) there is a grey area consisting of three lines where you can choose other links for items of interest. At that third line in the grey area, far right, the last choice is the "Allietare Mystery". Click on that, it will take you to the the introductory page for the instructions, where at the bottom of that is a blue link saying "Introduction". Click on that and you will find the instructions. Hope this helps without being excessively wordy!
    Old 11-03-2015, 02:45 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin
    I'll just be observing and anxiously anticipating seeing some beautiful works of art.
    I agree, I will be watching your progress too.
    Old 11-03-2015, 03:19 PM

I agree, it does seem like a really large total fabric requirement!! I have never made one of Bonnie's quilts before-----or never done a mystery quilt for that matter!---so hope I am not getting in over my head. But it will be fun doing it with all of you!!! If it doesn't come out well it can always be a picnic/utility quilt!! This is rather exciting.......
    Old 11-03-2015, 03:38 PM

I think the yardage figures were to be adequate for traditional methods of /2 square triangles
    and possible snowballing, etc.

With the rulers recommended you have less waste and trimmings...

A fun thing to do with leftovers is make string blocks and then join the blocks each year or so....great utility quilts with fun memories.