Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >
  • Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

• Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 12-06-2015, 08:24 AM

What a great neutral, PeriWink! I can't wait to see this quilt (so you'll just have to finish it).
    Old 12-06-2015, 08:52 AM

PeriWink love your colors. That neutral is great. It looks like a really fun quilt.
    Old 12-06-2015, 09:19 AM

Great job Joe'sMom and PeriWink!! Since I finished the two quilts for the Veterans charity last night, I am working on Clue 2 today! I seem to have to trim/shave my headless geese more than I should. Still trying to get this right.......

ps: thanks for posting your BH quilt pics Kalama!! They are gorgeous. I am thinking these are just too complicated for me on a regular basis.

Last edited by Jeanne S; 12-06-2015 at 09:22 AM.
    Old 12-06-2015, 09:29 AM

First let me say I love seeing everyone's finished Bonnie quilts. It makes me even more excited to finish this one and now I wish I had done some of the earlier ones. I do have all the clues to Grand Illusion so maybe someday I'll make it.
    PeriWink you colors for this mystery are AWESOME! Can't wait to see how it comes together.

For what it's worth I use a regular #2 pencil to make HST, very lightly and don't go all the way to the edge - that keeps the fabric from bunching up and I can eyeball from the edge to the start of my pencil line.

I finally got to Clue #2. I used the Companion Angle ruler for the geese and the Easy Angler for the wings (or whatever). I am calling them Sleepy Hollow Geese because they are Headless (Get it? Bad joke I know but I really like the TV show so that's what I'm going with).

I got the Sleepy Hollow geese together with only a little trouble. For some reason when it came to sew the left wing with the pointy end in the machine first it was a struggle - didn't have that problem with the HST from Clue 1. So I decided to blunt the other end. I just laid the triangle unit on the goose and used a ruler to snip off the dog ear before sewing. It ended up working very well for me.
    The other small issue I had was when I checked the size of the Headless Geese before sewing the "neutral" a few of them were closer to 4-3/4" wide which made me wonder if I had the ruler lined up incorrectly when I cut them. They are all 4-1/2" now but about 6-8 of them will have the tips cut off when they're sew into what ever block configuration they are planned for. I am going to wait and see if I can live with it or if I feel like I should re-do them.

Oh and my favorite part of this clue! Not having to cut ANY black squares. Just went to my square scrap bin and counted then out. Took all of 2 seconds to decide to use the ketchup and mustard square (after all, red and yellow are used in the rest of the quilt!).

I am only doing about 1/2 the clues but 20 "sets" makes me think her quilt will have 20 blocks set 4x5 so rather than just doing 10 sets I did 12 thinking my layout would be 3x4. I'd rather have a few extra then have to go back and make more but this is a total guess on my part.

Since I have always been one to shake the wrapped present to figure out what's inside...I am was trying to figure out how the Sleepy Hollow geese will be used. I remembered seeing a similar block -- complete with the rectangle sewed to the bottom -- on an old Simply Quilts episode so I checked the video tape (yes, I have several VHS tapes of Simply Quilts).... I will be anxious to see if that's the direction this Mystery takes.

Getting the clues each Friday is the highlight of my week and I am having the best time making each clue and seeing everyone's variations!

Bring on Clue #3 and maybe it will be Gold's turn!!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]537170[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails posted.jpg  
    Old 12-06-2015, 10:09 AM

Very nice Sleepy Hollow geese, AmyBible. Those are some fun blacks!

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Thought I'd share this 'word of wisdom' from Bonnie Hunter on her blog today:

"So yes – don’t go boring on your Allietare quilt and stay in the safe zone –pull into it what you want and make it FUN!"

This was in reference to her lesson on what neutrals are. Good advice!
    Thanks for posting this, sewbizgirl. I'm going to try and think outside the box for the clue #2 neutrals.
    Old 12-06-2015, 10:18 AM

I like your Sleepy Hollow geese as well AmyBible.
    Old 12-06-2015, 10:23 AM

Ok....I like Sleepy Hollow geese also.....lil sportscar only was fun for the first hour or so.... Sleepy Hollow geese for me
    Old 12-06-2015, 10:36 AM

Clues 1 and 2 done! And since I have a problem throwing out ANY fabric scraps, I made itty-bitty HST's from the cut off corners in #2 for some later project that strikes me in the middle of the night. I think I am beyond help......
    Old 12-06-2015, 11:01 AM

AmyBible and JeanneS, my Sleepy Hollow geese test patch turned out a little wider than 4-1/2. I found that I had to put the line of the Companion Angle just at the edge of the strip rather than on it. After doing this they finished at 4-1/2. It was about 1/8 inch or less smaller but made a real difference. Hope this makes sense.
    Old 12-06-2015, 11:38 AM
    Power Poster

Beautiful clue 1 squares, Lisa...

Welcome to the 'dark side', Periwink! Glad you caved and joined us.