Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >
  • Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

• Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 12-19-2015, 05:20 AM

piecing the red and black "trapezoids w/ wings" or little red sportscar driving on a moonless night...... giggle....
    anyway using Aurifil red in the bobbin and Aurifil black on the spool pin...... usually I use Aurifil variegated pale to very pale gray for all piecing but this time the red and the black pleaded for a turn (play me coach, play me ..... team is winning ...put me in the quilt).....will change to neutral variegated in the bobbin when I piece the little white sportscars driving, etc.
    Probably both threads will be black for the joining...as my black is a constant, black on black.

...First I did two complete blocks to check out what I recalled from Clue #2 and when they were fine I choose to do the remainder in fast forward.....hoping for the best. Really glad we had Clue #3 with the reminder about the seam position and the advantage of the presser foot helping to mesh the seams together.....it helps!

ok, played on the computer long enough time to cut some neutrals!

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 12-19-2015 at 05:28 AM.
    Old 12-19-2015, 05:51 AM

I've been piecing thus far with a light beige thread. The spool just ran out, and I'll switch to gray for clue #4, since we're bringing in the black.
    Old 12-19-2015, 06:49 AM

If the thread color shows on top after the block is pressed you just need to make the stitch length a little shorter.
    I use taupe, sage, and gray. Not because I like to match (how on earth can you match two completely different colors of fabric? ) but because I think all three colors are pretty on my thread stand. I've used 6 bobbins now, but I assembled my tumbler quilt this past week also.

I have my neutral 2" x 4.5" cut. Looking forward to a big stack of progress this week.
    Before I started doing Bonnie's mysteries I abhorred the cutting process in making a quilt.
    I think maybe it was because book patterns are printed differently? and all that cutting overwhelmed me.
    I'm sure that is one of the reasons I quit making other peoples patterns so long ago.
    When I build out a quilt on the design wall there is no telling what I'll need to cut next

Our differences are what make us interesting.
    Old 12-19-2015, 07:14 AM

Thanks for all of the votes of confidence! I will keep chugging along, just don't know when I'll get back to it. I feel like all of the clues are swimming around in my head right now and all of the fabric is swimming around in my sewing room! I need a little head clearing and room clearing first! If anyone has extra time, feel free to pop on over to my sewing room!

I love seeing what you've all been up to. I would LOVE it if the quilt was one big square like a Swoon Quilt! Only time will tell!
    Old 12-19-2015, 08:57 AM

well, Julie could send my DDIL over to help, She is fabulous at organization, but they are leaving in just a few hours to Chicago, O'Hare, to fly here ! I am so excited, have not actually seen DS,DDIL or their youngest (15) in two long years!!! I am so jazzed, would be spinning in circles if I did not have this piecing to do to keep me grounded.
    Old 12-19-2015, 10:37 AM

Oh wow, Sunliten! Have a wonderful time!
    Old 12-19-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlR
    A question about the color of piecing thread: I have been piecing all my units with a light grey Aurifil 50 wt. thread, as I have done with a Jacob's Ladder quilt I have been working on which is scrappy and goes from light blue to tans to navy blue, but as a beginning quilter, I have yet to piece with black fabric or use black thread. Are you, or will you, folks be changing to black thread for the black units? I didn't seem to have a problem sewing my navy blue blocks with the light grey Aurifil on my JL quilt blocks, i.e., the thread did not show through the navy fabric. (I haven't posted any pictures yet on this Mystery quilt project because I need to go over how to size the photos for this Board and coordinate it with my photo software, but I will, as I am loving to see all the beautiful work you all are doing, just wish I could work as quickly as you do, but I am working slowly and ripping quickly, especially on those Santa hats, ha!

I use Picasa to edit and resize my photos for this site. Picasa is a free program and easy to use. Open your photo and edit if you choose. Then you can use the "export" feature on the bottom right. I resize to 640 pixels. Watch where it "saves" the exported photo, as I use to have trouble finding it again to post. Once you post it, Quilting Board will remember where the last one came from, so it will find future resized photos.
    Old 12-19-2015, 12:13 PM

Clue 4 cutting is about 3/4 done. Have sewn together and trimmed 4 sets of the 30. I like the way they look, but this sure is a lot of work. I think this quilt will have more pieces than all the other quilts I made this year combined!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]538401[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails p1120162.jpg  
    Old 12-19-2015, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG

I use Picasa to edit and resize my photos for this site. Picasa is a free program and easy to use. Open your photo and edit if you choose. Then you can use the "export" feature on the bottom right. I resize to 640 pixels. Watch where it "saves" the exported photo, as I use to have trouble finding it again to post. Once you post it, Quilting Board will remember where the last one came from, so it will find future resized photos.
    Thank you, JeanieG, for the size of 640 pixels; this is a great help! I've looked at the "resize" in my photo program, but then, didn't know what size I should use for this Board so that it is not too big, but yet shows enough detail.
    Old 12-19-2015, 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=Jeanne S;7408144]Clue 4 cutting is about 3/4 done. Have sewn together and trimmed 4 sets of the 30. I like the way they look, but this sure is a lot of work. I think this quilt will have more pieces than all the other quilts I made this year combined!!

Oh, My Goodness, Jeanne S, I am blown away by your red, black and white blocks, they are just beautiful; I especially like the black fabric with the white lines! And look at all those wonderful greys! I am just loving the colors in this quilt, and I usually am not drawn to reds.