Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >
  • Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

• Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 01-19-2024, 07:41 AM

I have done very little in the last few days sewing or otherwise... Today I woke up and started putting together the blocks into rows. Today's goal (if I make it) is to have all the blocks connected into their diagonal rows.

Those long diagonals take forever (and seem so impossibly long) but I feel I do better/get less confused getting the long rows together first instead of half rows, even if that might be easier to work. We each work in different ways!

I'm sort of wanting some speed sewing. Once I get the diagonal rows together I might start putting together the outer border triangles. Note that they have an uneven number of pieces on each side. I've taken out 4 units and put them with the corners so I can zip together sets of 2 for the first go-round.
    Old 01-20-2024, 05:17 AM

Didn't quite make my goal of putting together the rows yesterday. Caught one mistake and laid out everything to find a couple more. Pure operator error even with my labels in place I put the setting unit on the wrong side. Have those corrected and should be on my way today. Did find one connection that was a little "too close" for me but left it in...
    Old 01-20-2024, 06:19 AM

I did alot of units yesterday and alot of cutting. Its amazing how much easier (dreaded) clue #2 was once I had the tri-recs tool.
    Clue 1 - HSTs - done
    Clue 2 - TriRec - about 40%
    Clue 3 - Mary Triangle - about 40%
    Clue 4 - 3/4 Triangle - about 25%
    Clue 5 - Square in square - all cut, none sewn
    Clue 6 - Tri rec red/blue - might eliminate - 0%
    Clue 7 - hourglass & block A - 40% of hourglass, no assembly
    Clue 8 - Block B and final assembly - HAHAHHAHAHAHHAH!!!!!!! no. nowhere near

Making progress. I've printed everything so I can keep going even after it "disappears".

I'm having thoughts of just making the blocks and straight setting with some sashing. I find the final layout extremely busy and I need some white space (even if its blue or red) to calm down. I know this is a typical Bonnie Hunter pattern so I should have expected....

IceBlossom - sorry you discovered an error, but happy you discovered it before it was unrecoverable. We've all had dates with Jack (the ripper).

Old 01-20-2024, 07:31 AM

Been working. Changed size to be twin. Which changes # blocks needed. Glad didn’t assemble blocks until reveal.
    Block B complete. Still need halves and quarters.
    Block A 3 completed. No halves or quarters completed.

it’s very busy to me also. It has a destination, so will finish for twin bed.
    Old 01-20-2024, 08:49 AM

I am plugging away with clues 3 and 6. I've only done paper piecing before in a sampler, interspersed with regular piecing, where each block was unique. I now know that paper piecing is not a good choice for me when it's 100+ of the same unit!

edit

As far as the busyness goes, I've noticed on Quiltville that the IWs with lighter navy in clues 1 and 3 are less demanding to look at. I think the underlying problem is that the red and navy are in continual competition to draw the eye. Were I doing the quilt after the fact, I would use something less assertive in place of the clue 1 and 3 indigos. I'll have to see how mine all plays out before I decide if the reveal layout works for my fabrics.

Last edited by joe'smom; 01-20-2024 at 09:00 AM. Reason: addition
    Old 01-20-2024, 09:42 AM

Speaking of busy, I just saw a posting of a IW where a very busy black and white neutral was used exclusively in clue 4; it tones down the busyness remarkably well, and the slashing red pattern stands out beautifully. I love this part of the mystery, where the choices people have made are so instructive with respect to what makes the pattern work best.
    Old 01-20-2024, 11:10 AM

Making progress on Indigo Way. Working on the extra sets of clue 3, clue 4 is finished, still working on clue 5, cutting out clue 6 and cutting out clue 7. I have made some blocks. I'm hoping to have this made into a flimsy by April - May.
    Old 01-20-2024, 01:56 PM

I have my 1/2 quilt up on my display wall. I redid four of the Block B's with less busy prints and it did tone down the quilt somewhat. I think this quilt definetly needs a plain neutral! I almost put sashings on the quilt, as I have seen many do on Facebook, but decided against it. I still have some of the red/blue triangles to complete.

To let the mystery set a while, I have been pressing and trimming the over 100 half square triangles I used as leader/enders for a couple of years now. I finally have the four patches and triangles all done for my Blue Ridge Beauty and am anxious to start putting them together into the final block (2 triangles and 2 four patches), ONLY 224 more blocks to make!!!!!! LOL
    Old 01-20-2024, 02:09 PM

Granny12 I love your quilt and colors! I have not worked on mine. I took a two day workshop with Missy Billingsley and we made a table runner. What a wonderful and smart educator she is, I always enjoy her classes. I am thinking of changing mine to add some solids to it, might be strips or blocks, not sure yet. It is a beautiful quilt, just a bit busy for me.
    Old 01-21-2024, 08:05 AM

Got my blocks into rows but Cranky Bernie is being cranky again! I think it is time to just bite the bullet and get a new main machine.

I will ponder this a bit and either finish this project with my portable class machine or my trusty vintage machine. But for now -- no sewing for me...