Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >
  • Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

• Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 12-22-2021, 08:57 AM

I'm getting there. I'm not making the quilt in the original size, but haven't decided how small I'm going. Clue 1 was about a third, clue 2 was a bit more than a third, clue 3, a bit less than a third, and clue 4 - well I miscounted, so I'm not sure how many I'll end up with. I figured I could figure it all out at the end. Not sure I'll finish this week's clue until Sunday, because my cutting table has now been taken over by gift wrapping - hey as long as no one touches my fabric scissors, I'm OK.

As this is my first BH mystery quilt, I wasn't sure what to expect. But I am certainly enjoying the process - and I'm finding that much of the enjoyment is being able to watch everyone else's progress, and especially the photos. I'll post some when I get a chance.
    Old 12-22-2021, 02:05 PM

I may be going rogue on Clue 4. While digging for more neutrals in my stash, I came upon a bag of bonus triangles left over from Midnight Flight (another BH design). And there's lots of them, and they are the right size, in shades of teal and neutrals. The only downside is the outside edges will be bias, but with careful pressing, I don't think it will be a problem.
    So for now, I am sewing those triangles into hourglasses and will wait to see if they will work in the final reveal. If they do work, it's a WIN for the scrap bin!!!
    Old 12-22-2021, 03:44 PM

I have about 180 done and squared up. Off to the side you can see where earlier I had them piled up ready to feed through my machine. While watching TV last night I glued them and got them ready to sew. I found some nice little Elmer's glue pens and they make it so easy! I had to stop for a bit and decided to make the Christmas pudding. It is an old fashioned recipe from my husband's grandmother. It is made with cranberries and while sorting and washing them I looked down at the engagement ring which was hers and given to hubby to propose to me with. I thought about her through the years making this special dessert every Christmas with this ring on her hand, just like I was doing. I never got to meet her but feel so blessed to wear her ring. It is from 1925. Anyway, glad to be on this journey with all of you, hearing of how you are coming along on it and seeing the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails 1222211029_resized.jpg  
    Old 12-22-2021, 06:59 PM

What a wonderfully romantic tale to share! So what's the recipe?
    Old 12-22-2021, 07:37 PM

Sandra: Lovely units and lovely story. I wear a great aunt’s engagement ring (in addition to my own). While I was named after her, I never knew her well. While I often think about her, I wish I had a recipe she passed down.
    Old 12-22-2021, 08:46 PM

I'm such a bone head. When I was doing clue 2 in purple, I cut way too many triangles for my flying geese. I decided to count them yesterday and I ended up sewing an extra 30% more. I started clue 4. I have a bout a 3rd of each the garnet (burgundy) color and dark purple. I figured clue 3 is easy to do at a later point. I should have clue 4 done b Friday.
    Old 12-23-2021, 06:35 AM
    Power Poster

Yesterday I cleaned up my sewing room and found a huge chain of unit 4 that I forgot I made!
    Since I probably have a few duds I'm going to keep them to fill in.
    I ended up pressing my seams open and I'm happy with the way they turned out.

Also- I had to end up redoing some as I flew through them and some didn't turn out right. Mental note: slow down! lol

Sandra- I love that ring story. And your blocks look great.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 12-23-2021 at 06:38 AM.
    Old 12-23-2021, 06:54 AM

Keep in mind that this is a more traditional pudding, nothing like Jello pudding. It is steamed in a double boiler
    Cranberry Pudding 1 cup of flour, 1 tsp soda, 1/2 teas salt, 1/2 c boiling water, 1/2 c molasses, 2 c cranberries, 1/2 flour. Into a greased double boiler mix the first 5 ingredients in order given, then add the cranberries which have been cut in halves and mixed with 1/2 c flour. Steam in double boiler for 3 hours. Turn pudding onto a platter. For sauce it is 1 c butter, 1 c brown sugar, 1 c heavy cream. Make sauce by creaming sugar and butter together in saucepan and slowly add cream and heat on stove. Serve sauce separately. Serves 6-8.
    Old 12-23-2021, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P
    Keep in mind that this is a more traditional pudding, nothing like Jello pudding. It is steamed in a double boiler
    Cranberry Pudding 1 cup of flour, 1 tsp soda, 1/2 teas salt, 1/2 c boiling water, 1/2 c molasses, 2 c cranberries, 1/2 flour. Into a greased double boiler mix the first 5 ingredients in order given, then add the cranberries which have been cut in halves and mixed with 1/2 c flour. Steam in double boiler for 3 hours. Turn pudding onto a platter. For sauce it is 1 c butter, 1 c brown sugar, 1 c heavy cream. Make sauce by creaming sugar and butter together in saucepan and slowly add cream and heat on stove. Serve sauce separately. Serves 6-8.
    Oh yum! This sounds wonderful!
    Old 12-23-2021, 08:06 AM

Am enjoying hearing the stories and seeing the pictures! My ex-MiL made traditional steamed puddings with hard sauce for Christmas.

Just checking in for a bit -- My squares are cut, and I double counted everything about 14 times. I will need 6 more "garnet" and am hoping to find one more piece of dark purple, if not, I have enough leftovers from the fabrics already used. I only have so many pins so I'm combining slicing my squares and sewing them before I move on to the next set. About half done with this first round of making the HST before I turn them into the final units. Cranky Bernie (my sewing machine) has been behaving pretty well this clue (hope I didn't just jinx myself!).

Today though I'm going to a friend's home to help her with some Christmas baking. She is getting older and this has been a really hard year for her and her family as well. It will be fun for me to bake, even if mostly I wash and put away stuff

Still think I can be ready for the next clue... or close enough.