• Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie >
  • Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

• Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Old 12-31-2022, 01:33 PM

spam reported

petthefabric, that's a fabulous block!
    Old 12-31-2022, 04:13 PM
    Power Poster

Love the octopuses, Pet, with their tentacles peeking out everywhere. Just goes to show that quilting can be anything, LOL!
    Old 12-31-2022, 04:24 PM

Thanks for all the encouragement. Long ago I learned, a sloppy job at any point gets multiplied in each successive step. The first unit pieced for clue 5, screamed about the sloppy job of 1/4 square triangles in a previous step. Had to bite the bullet and carefully trim all XX number of them and if you’re counting, it was over 100. Can’t be seen in the picture, but there are some points missing.

Then got about 3 hours sleep. When I’m tired, mindless jobs are all I’m good for. Did a bunch of deep cleaning. Between the dog’s long hair and my really long hair, all the behind-furniture gets messy.

New Years Eve and the fireworks have started. Forest fires were so risky, California doesn’t allow fireworks even on the 4th.

So then started clue 6. My heart dropped. I was out of fabric. What was I going to do? “Calm down, take a deep breath, don’t panic.” Now think. I substituted a for b. No, that’s not right, yes it is. This can’t be right. Take another look. Not there. Taking a spinning quick look around studio! Yes! Now I remember. In anticipation, I pulled it out of the drawer. Oh No! There’s not enough. That mistake I made is biting me in the #*##. Now don’t panic. Do the math again. Whew, ~20 sq inches left. It’s cut and waiting at the machine.

This is something to focus on. Then the sheets will be dry. Hopefully, I can sleep and be rested for church tomorrow.
    Old 12-31-2022, 06:27 PM

Here’s block 1. Only XX more to go. I’m liking it.
    772600bc-f15b-42c1-8eca-bdb0afdc474d.jpeg
    Old 01-01-2023, 05:42 AM

petthefabric, love the block and the colors.
    Old 01-01-2023, 06:03 AM

Petthefabric: I love your block! You are so right about small mistakes getting multiplied in future steps. They often mean more work later. On the other hand, the eye of the beholder is very forgiving and rarely notices those cut off points. So I do the best I can and move forward with my quilt.
    Old 01-01-2023, 07:06 AM

Pet, I'm so sorry about your sleep issues. When I had lung cancer surgery in September I had a few days in hospital with a ginormous tube coming out under my arm leading to a big drainage machine on the floor. It was SO painful. Add to that I also have insomnia issues, so the nurse asked if I'd ever used melatonin. When I came home I tried it and it Really did help. I started with 3MG and now use 6MG. I usually sleep well until about 4 AM which is Really good for me. Can't hurt to try it?

I was also introduced to tapping early this year (well now last year) which is an offshoot of acupuncture and acupressure. the app has a lot of different modules for various problems, but the months leading up to my surgery were greatly anti-anxieti-fied, don't know what I'd have done without it. I've heard many people say the sleep modules have been miraculous.

Based on the Big Purple Thing I assembled my central blocks this week, replacing the white neutral sashing with a patterned one from the kit I disassembled and used that for the BPT. I found looking at all the blocks assembled on FB the softer BPTs weren't so eye painful. I also reversed the tulip-y blocks just because I like geometric designs. And I haven't actually sewd clue 6 yet. Patience Grasshopper...

I am pink to Bonnie's orange, and had just enough to do a set of 8 1/2 square block sets with two fabrics.
    Attached Thumbnails chill2.jpg   chill-1.jpg  

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 01-01-2023 at 07:13 AM.
    Old 01-01-2023, 11:32 AM
    Power Poster

Love it, Kalama! The big squares definitely look better in prints than solid.
    Old 01-01-2023, 12:18 PM

Love both of those blocks Kamala! So sorry to hear of your surgery, I hope you are recovering well and gaining your strength back.

Here is my first Clue 6 block. I was going to use a different color purple for each block, but looking at a lot of blocks on Facebook decided I liked the look of blocks that had lighter shades in those 3 1/2" squares. I chose the lightest purple I had used in the quilt for those blocks and will use this one in all of the eight I am doing.

Attached Thumbnails clue-6.jpg  
    Old 01-01-2023, 02:11 PM
    Power Poster

Lovely blocks, JeanieG!