Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" >
  • Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

• Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

Old 12-26-2018, 11:50 AM

Hi Bonnie, That might work, not sure. Hopefully someone else on the board can tell you. Mine went pretty fast, maybe if you tell us where you are having trouble we can help you.
    Old 12-26-2018, 12:43 PM

I have made this unit w/ a foundation paper before. It is easy to draw out yourself. Draw a rectangle the unfinished size of the unit, then add the 1/4 inch seam line around all the outer edges (to the inside of the unfinished size since that will be your cut lines), then draw out your diagonal lines on each end making sure it is at a 45 degree angle and goes through the middle of the outer point.

Originally Posted by BonnieI
    Has anyone used paper piecing for the chevrons? I am having trouble with them and was wondering if anyone has a paper piecing template.
    Old 12-26-2018, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra
    I have made this unit w/ a foundation paper before. It is easy to draw out yourself. Draw a rectangle the unfinished size of the unit, then add the 1/4 inch seam line around all the outer edges (to the inside of the unfinished size since that will be your cut lines), then draw out your diagonal lines on each end making sure it is at a 45 degree angle and goes through the middle of the outer point.
    If you're careful, you don't need to draw the 1/4 seam line. After sewing on the line, line up the seam with your 1/4" line on a ruler and trim. Saves you drawing another line.

I made PP templates for the chevrons for one of the other MQs. I just drew as many as would fit full size on a page and scanned it. Then I printed it on newsprint paper. Worked great.
    Old 12-26-2018, 06:48 PM

Hope everyone had a nice holiday. I have a dumb? question...if I want to make the quilt 1/2 the size of Bonnie's, do I only make 1/2 of each clue? If I want a 1/4 size quilt, do I make 1/4 of the blocks in each clue? I am definitely mathematically challenged. I also have a head cold and can't wrap my mind around anything. I know someone will have the answers to my questions. Thanks in advance...

I love everyone's fabric choices and seeing how the clues are coming together. Luckily, I have all the colors in my stash and aside from the size of the quilt, I will stay "true" to Bonnie's color choices. Now to just find time to sew...getting apartments ready for rentals, clearing out my primary residence to sell...busy time.

Thanks again and have a very Happy 2019!
    Old 12-26-2018, 09:20 PM

That's what I am doing...halves
    Old 12-27-2018, 03:49 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt
    Hope everyone had a nice holiday. I have a dumb? question...if I want to make the quilt 1/2 the size of Bonnie's, do I only make 1/2 of each clue? If I want a 1/4 size quilt, do I make 1/4 of the blocks in each clue? I am definitely mathematically challenged. I also have a head cold and can't wrap my mind around anything. I know someone will have the answers to my questions. Thanks in advance......
    if your quilt id 1/2 as wide and 1/2 as long, then you only make 1/4 of the blocks.
    Old 12-27-2018, 04:24 AM

Here are my blocks in Clue 5. Ready for #6. Sorry for the busy background. Just re-covered my large ironing board and used extra fabric from quilt backing. Kinda makes the eyes wonky, doesn’t it?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]605858[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails cfc35c1a-6d59-465a-a0ff-cb711633583b.jpeg  
    Old 12-27-2018, 04:24 AM

Be prepared to maybe make a few extra if you make 1/2 the blocks. Sometimes you need some to finish a block. It all depends upon how they are arranged. I wouldn't make them now, just see in the final reveal if they are needed. I made Easy Street in half and adapted the pattern to a size I liked.
    Old 12-27-2018, 07:03 AM

Looking forward to tomorrow!

We are in the middle of a really bad winter storm - so bad they closed the office for today and tomorrow so I've got a lot more sewing time than I expected to have!
    Old 12-27-2018, 07:28 AM

AlvaStitcher: Very pretty units.

Macybaby: I'm glad you can stay home during the winter storm. We had a little snow overnight and this morning it is raining. Goofy MN weather! I don't need to go out until later today and the temps are supposed to stay in the high 30's during the day so I am hoping the roads will stay ice free until I get home.

I have 20 more Chevrons to make. I need to iron, trim, or do both to some of my first 4 clues. I will start working on clue 5 later this morning.