Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" >
  • Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

• Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

Old 01-12-2019, 01:09 PM

I did find out that the green triangle border is easier to "ease in" if you don't press it. I made the mistake of pressing one of the shorter ends and it was a tad too long. The others I didn't press and it was easy to take up the slack along the way. Just a hint for those who haven't tried the border yet.
    Old 01-12-2019, 01:13 PM

The outside border was done two blocks at a time. Using the design board I placed two of the same side (there are left and rights) together, so that the blue was contigious. The two orange squares butted together. I had to pin those two together and take it to the sewing machine in order to not get mixed up. With my age and lack of brain power, this was necessary. Then when the two blues lined up, I put it with another doublet and built it up from there. The corners were very easy . Just a blue in the corner.
    Old 01-12-2019, 01:24 PM

Well after seeing the tricky border that I tossed out I guess I am lucky. Mine would no doubt be wavy too. So I guess I will use strips of green and neutral alternating. I still cant believe I tossed out the little squares....
    Old 01-12-2019, 03:38 PM

BattleAxe, If you don't list your mistakes, who would know? lol It looks beeeautiful! If you use an outer long strip of fabric for one more border, and ease in your last pieced border when sewing the strip on, you might have less of a wavy edge. Anyway, skilled quilting can reduce those wavy problems and make a nice flat quilt for you. Don't give up! :-)
    Old 01-12-2019, 06:27 PM

Very pretty quilt top, Battle Axe.

I almost have one row sewn together. I am doing some of the clues as I go-combining the HST's and then sewing to the chevron; sewing the red/white squares and then attaching the orange as I finish a few squares, etc. I don't think I will do all of the borders as I like to have a single fabric border around the edge for my church gal that sews the back to the front. Just easier than stitching through so many seams in my mind.
    Old 01-12-2019, 09:02 PM

Battle Axe, I think your quilt looks fabulous! The outer border is a wonderful alternative. I've always liked the winding ribbon look. Don't tell anyone about what you think of as mistakes. No one else would ever be able to tell, especially a non-quilter.
    I'm in the process of making my spinning star block components, and I am getting really frustrated. I am doing nearly as much unsewing as sewing. And that's no exaggeration.

Leslie
    Old 01-12-2019, 09:27 PM

I wanted everyone (every one who has been so kind with the compliments) to know that this is the same pattern that we were all entrusted with. I watched as there was discussion of someone making their chevrons backwards. Little could I understand that I was doing that as well. And yes, I know that skills will overcome the fuzziness of my work. But I fall into the same trap as audsgirl, easily frustrated, quick to throw in the towel. My mentor keeps telling me to slow down and not try to do it so fast, so sloppily. I actually had some one on facebook ask me for the pattern.
    Old 01-12-2019, 10:27 PM

Leslie, I am doing lots of re-sewing on those quarter star units, too. I have my first bunch 2/3 done, and the other bunch pinned and ready to start on. Hoping to make major progress tomorrow.
    Old 01-13-2019, 11:05 AM

Top complete, who knows when I'll get around to quilting. But, yeah! Several small ripples around the edge, no big waves. So, I'm pleased. As you can see it was made from yardage. I am waiting to get over a cold before I attempt to compose a back. Bonnie's yardage predicter was pretty good. I have about 4 1/2 x WOF of green, 12 x WOF of blue, a good bit of red, and lots of orange (since I didn't make strings). Haven't counted how many extra component I have. But the back should be interesting. It's 64 x 90, give or take. [ATTACH=CONFIG]606688[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails img_1767.jpg  

Last edited by toverly; 01-13-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    Old 01-13-2019, 11:14 AM
    Power Poster

Great finish, Toverly!