Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >
  • Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

• Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 01-14-2020, 04:53 AM

So much for getting caught up yesterday! I just could not get myself in the sewing room to work on them. Burned out temporarily I guess. But today is the day. My friend might come over today to work on cutting out more of the clues for her to work on. We will see....
    Old 01-14-2020, 06:29 AM
    Power Poster

A few thoughts on my first BH mystery:

So much cutting, right? Well I figured out a way to do it that isn't quite so daunting.
    I've done a lot of cutting of the strips in my sewing room. Then I do the triangles in
    my family room watching something good on TV. Tonight it will be the Jeopardy
    championship. If Ken wins tonight it's all over. James has one win so I'm hoping
    it continues.
    Also trim down my geese this way. I find that if I work straight in my sewing room
    it's just too much for me. Last night I trimmed all of clue 8 watching The Crown
    and it was quite painless.
    I shopped my stash for the entire quilt. I used fabrics I love so that if I don't exactly
    love the reveal I will still probably like it because of my fabrics.
    Just my 2 cents!
    Old 01-14-2020, 06:43 AM

I've done two of the mystery quilts, but have never had the trouble that I'm having with the complicated clues on this one. I will persevere, but this might be my last for a while. I know that if I waited until the reveal that I would never make it, but all of these flying geese with no "wiggle room" are about to make me abandon the whole project - but I will not be defeated! I don't have Bonnie's ruler, but am using the Companion Angle, and the parts just don't come out quite right, so lots of fudging, trial and error.
    Old 01-14-2020, 06:55 AM

maminstl, do you have the Easy Angle ruler to go along with the Companion Angle ruler, or are you trying to use Companion for both parts of the geese? Heaven knows the geese are hard enough to do when you have the right ruler!
    Old 01-14-2020, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej
    Thanks, its a scrappy Irish chain sew along that was on this board last year. I didn't want plain blocks between the chains.
    Any chance you can post the link to the sew along? I can't see your photo very well and would love to get a look at the quilt, plus the pattern.. I love me some scrappy!!
    Old 01-14-2020, 08:01 AM

Well, I am finally ready to start sewing my windmills. I got all the HSTs finished and pressed yesterday. Yay, I'm getting there!!!
    Old 01-14-2020, 08:21 AM

This was the scrappy sew-along.
    Scrappy Irish Chain Sew-Along
    Old 01-14-2020, 08:48 AM

I have my pinwheels from 7 finished this morning, except for trimming. I still have four pinwheel sets to cut and sew, and four non pinwheel sets,but waiting on more raspberry. My flying geese ruler arrived, I went with the creative grids ultimate one because it can do multiple sizes of geese, and has the instructions for use printed on the ruler.

I have been so scared to trim down blocks this entire quilt and lose my little bit of wiggle room, but I am going to have to give up and just do it once we move into finished blocks instead of units. In my experience, trimming down units to exact size makes the final blocks a smidge too small. I am still trying to figure out how obsessively checking seam allowances to match unit size still gives me a block that is a sliver too big once I start joining them....but my piecing skills have improved so much this quilt.
    Old 01-14-2020, 09:19 AM

I'm facing the same discomfort, Origamagoldfish. When I was putting together my pinwheels I kept chanting to myself "Scant Seams Scant Seams", when I was done they were pretty much perfect but I had expected slivers to trim off. On my other machine I tend towards the scant size, apparently on this one I tend towards the fat seam.
    Old 01-14-2020, 10:12 AM

Well thank goodness that I am not alone in having to really watch my seams and make them skinnier than I ever have in any other quilt. I put my stitch length down too because with a skinny seam I am concerned with them coming out. Maminstl, I am with you on the complicated instructions. At first I thought it was because I am having some health problems and I am not thinking clearly but then after reading some other comments I am so glad I am not alone. I just have a few hst's to do and I am caught up.