Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 08-28-2023, 04:42 PM

I am somewhat ashamed/alarmed at the amount of fabric I did indeed move... I gave away tons, boxes, bins, battings and on and on and I still kept so much.

My birthday is basically Labor Day weekend and I decided not to use a birthday exemption for fabric but I did order a T-shirt that says "I rescue orphaned fabric" -- that sounds better than hoarder
Old 08-28-2023, 05:22 PM

Just found out next month my quilt group will be doing exchange blocks again this year. Can't wait to get into my stash to hunt for cream background and a bunch of scraps that would be indicative of ME!. Ok, it won't be a lot out of my stash but it will be something. It is amazing how much you can get out of your stash. I have been tracking, only finished quilts, that came from my stash this year and I am at slightly more than 75 yards, YARDS I say! I can't believe it. But the numbers don't lie. Still 5 months of tracking to go! Shooting for 100 for the year.

I got rid of two UFOs that had been given to me by another quilter but I am not going to count them as I did not make a stitch on them. Besides I have no idea how much fabric was in each container. It had a top, scraps of additional fabric and the pattern in each container. Just happy that someone is going to give them a loving home.

I do have three works in progress that should be finished in September.............all from stash.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:16 PM

So glad to have you back on this thread, Iceblossom! :-)

After finishing the hydrangea quilt I decided I needed a break from the layer/baste/quilt process and spent several delightful days digging through my scrap boxes (nothing larger than a fat eighth) for a blue and cream log cabin quilt (I was highly motivated to do this because the blue bin wouldn't close without the lid bulging up). Once again, I find myself on a really steep learning curve - this time it's about fabric values. It took me the better part of two days of stacking fabrics next to each other and looking at them through a black and white filter on my phone to separate them into six similarly-valued piles. I'm so glad I went through that process, though - I'm about halfway through the number of blocks I will need to make the smallest version of the quilt and so far it seems to be working out quite well. As a bonus, I also figured out a system that works well for me for chain piecing the blocks (about 4 at a time) so I have really been enjoying the creative and efficiently productive elements of this endeavour a lot. :-)

I've also been very good about staying on the wagon this month. I did walk into a local thrift store in a moment of weakness and saw that they had just put out several pieces of lovely Christmas/winter-themed quilting cottons. I looked, I walked away and thought about it, I went back and looked again, then I went home and called my quilting neighbour and told her about what I had found. I do feel slightly guilty about leading my friend down the path of temptation, but she's less inclined to impulse buy than I am, so I'm reasonably confident that if she did get anything, it was fabric she could see herself using. :-)

I also went to our local Rotary Club charity book sale this weekend. They had two tables full of quilting books but I bought just one which called to me. I'll be honest, it's not quite as amazing as I had hoped it would be but it certainly fits in with my desire to use up the "bits and pieces" I have in my stash and I have already started to picture the fabrics I could use for a couple of the projects. Seems like a win to me!

Attached Thumbnails img_8714.jpg  
Old 08-29-2023, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by mizkyp
I stayed on/in the wagon. I needed 2 backings. Went 'round and round in my head trying to justify buying fabric. Kept looking at my stash and finally decided I could use it and not buy anything new. It was difficult, but shouldn't be to keep from buying something new. I'm beginning to feel like a hoarder. Anyone else?
I've never felt like a hoarder, but I think watching 'Hoarders' recently was inspiration for getting rid of my scraps, LOL.
Old 09-03-2023, 08:36 AM

I restrained myself this week. Twice I decided I could live without new fabric. So I’m. Over $100.00 dollars richer. The fabrics were $6-8.00 a yard. But I really don’t need/want new fabrics.

sync, lovely finish.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:48 AM

"I got rid of two UFOs that had been given to me by another quilter but I am not going to count them as I did not make a stitch on them. Besides I have no idea how much fabric was in each container. It had a top, scraps of additional fabric and the pattern in each container. Just happy that someone is going to give them a loving home."

Know your limitations and stick to it.

My happy victory today is knocking out another black/white/grey &.... yellow this time. Simple 5" squares
. Final size will be 41 x 61 so just right for Project Linus...which is good because it's is mostly fabric from their table. I also packed up some.crumbs - just a sandwich bag but super.flat and organized. I also picked up 2 backings at last PL ...and realized I don't really like 1 of them. So I'll put it back on the table. The day I realized I *could put it back! So enormously liberating. Someone will grab it next time.

Oh, any I also have some selvages for... someone on her said they use them. As soon as the B&W 8s quilted, when I trim it, I'll have 2 more and will send them off to you... selvage user person.

I'm still very much in the plus column this year and still can't put away everything from this year's travel purchases. But at least now I can find the floor....most of it anyway

Last edited by Rff1010; 09-03-2023 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rff1010
"I got rid of two UFOs that had been given to me by another quilter but I am not going to count them as I did not make a stitch on them. Besides I have no idea how much fabric was in each container. It had a top, scraps of additional fabric and the pattern in each container. Just happy that someone is going to give them a loving home."
I did the same this week, RFF1010. My quilting group met on Monday and we have a give away table for books and fabric. It is also a place to leave UFOs. I had about a dozen given to me from a friend who could no longer quilt. I put three on the table and two were taken this week! I have finished four or five but have plenty more to fill my time. Out of my closet swoosh......and off my "To Do" list is a win for me. Yeah!

I haven't calculated my August Fabric IN/Out but it's more out than in. Working toward 100 yards OUT the year. I am going to make it, I am, I am.
Old 09-03-2023, 05:39 PM

I am so proud of all you who have been knocking yards off your stash! I am still a young grasshopper.... I'll get there. I've just found out that my nephew will be celebrating a baby in 6 more months. I better start on a quilt now! I anticipate an I-spy quilt project in my future. Happy Labor Day everyone and happy birthday to our Labor Day baby, Iceblossom!
Old 09-05-2023, 05:19 AM

Well, I'm starting a new kaleidoscope quilt by layering 8 panels, which I accomplished yesterday. I needed 7 pieces of fabric, usually blues, from light to dark, to complete the block. I want to use batiks this time. I filled my cart at Equilters with over $200 of beautiful fabrics. I always wait a day to come back to the cart and weed out what I can live without. Ended up finding all 7 pieces in my stash!! Didn't order anything. Yeah!
Old 09-05-2023, 05:39 AM

Yay Aashley for both restraint and finding stuff in your stash!!

Today is my actual bday, despite already ordering 4 quilting related t-shirts, I started the day by looking at more -- just for the laugh factor and because one of my BFFs/former roommate from... 1982?? and quilter (aka Barb in Arizona) has her bday in about 2 weeks. We used to go out and celebrate the weekend between our days

I think I also need to get myself a portable sewing machine. I only moved Bernie and Remy (both heavy) and my antique hand crank machine. Found new homes for 7?? others. I'm debating between a mechanical (as opposed to computerized) Eversewn Sparrow or a cheap Brother, feel free for suggestions I guess I'll also start a thread.

I already found a local quilt group that meets Tuesdays at a nearby library. About 6-8 regulars, the room is set up with tables and electric and a 4-hour block so people actually bring machines and sew. In my old Tuesday group we were limited to 6 (including) the host and were at a large dining room table for 2 hours, so I mostly brought things like trimming and such. Goal was to have enough almost finished projects so I could hand sew the bindings. I like that best of the ways to finish projects but I am soooo slow at the handwork. Was nice to have that to do in a group.