Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 10-02-2023, 06:36 PM

How about a crumb quilt or a potato chip quilt with your new scraps, Pet? Get them out before they multiply.

I have been cleaning and stitching for several years and am now seeing real progress in clearing out my stash. Then silly me, I take a one semester job at the university and all my quilting time is gone, or most of it any way. I have a quilting acquaintance who makes rugs out of 2.5" strips, sells them and uses the proceeds to purchase batting for our little organization to make quilts for the homeless population in my area. I may just have to do a review of a section of my stash and turn it into 2.5 strips so I can feel accomplished this month.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:42 AM

I became aware as I was cutting strings for my current project that I had plenty of red and not enough green or white. I went out today with a cash max of $20 and/or 4 fat quarters to one of my new local quilt stores.

I am proud to report that I did not go wild at the markdown section and while I wanted no more than halves, the sale price was $6 minimum one yard cut. So I got 2 green on green and 1 white with green and little bits of red, and left the store still under the $20 budget. Yay me -- There was one fabric that was really hard to resist, but it had more blue in it than I wanted and stayed strong!
Old 10-05-2023, 02:15 PM

Well done, Iceblossom - that moment of strength in which you said no to the final fabric is worth celebrating as much as getting some great finds that will be used for your current project at a great price. I look forward to seeing your quilt! :-)
Old 10-05-2023, 04:21 PM

Yippee to Iceblossom! Off the wagon with a purpose and held in the reigns on stash building! Since you have a plan for those new pieces, they will move out the door quickly! Three cheers for you.
Old 10-07-2023, 02:03 PM

Way to go, Iceblossom. Good job, resisting temptation.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:12 AM

Forums been quiet -- hope all the regulars and visitors here are keeping busy, safe, and having fun.

I've been working on my string Christmas themed project in between bouts of moving and trying to get closets built in my new sewing room. I think I mostly have one more round to get my string pieced triangles done, some have a bit larger gap and may need two pieces.

Tomorrow is my sewing group, today is finishing cleaning/clearing out the temporary rental mobile home. We still have quite a number of things left to do in the new house before we fully unpack but I'm almost up to being able to sew/quilt!
Old 10-30-2023, 06:45 PM

I agree IB. Perhaps we are all so busy sewing that we just don't have time to post progress.

This month I have gotten 18 yards out of the stash. All donations to different organizations. I am very serious bout getting my stash not only under control but into one double closet. I have three, no 5, quilts in progress with one finished today and waiting for binding. Two are UFOs and will stay that way until after the new year. One is a quilt made of holiday fabrics, one is a baby quilt and one needs to be prepped for the the long arm friend to quilt.

With some of those out the door, my yearly total of used stash will be large enough to make me smile and to AHHHH! I only bought 7 yards of fabric this month and that was backing for specific quilts on my "to do list" Yea, me!

Hey Moratorium folks, how ya' doing?

Old 10-31-2023, 07:43 PM

I'm doing more dreaming than stitching these days but I was working for a while on a log cabin quilt - I've finished my blocks but needed to pack everything up so we could use my "sewing room" for its original intended purpose as a formal dining room and I haven't had the time or energy to get things going again. I wasn't going to say anything about it until I had at least a flimsy picture to share but now that I've seen the BHMQ intro I have to laugh. I've no intentions of participating in the mystery, but if I had been planning on it I would have been miffed - I've just used up almost every scrap of navy/indigo I own (and most of my light blues and creamy neutrals) in the log cabin blocks!

Last edited by Gemm; 10-31-2023 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 05:50 PM

Oh, GEMM, you make me laugh. I have yet to experience using up all of one color way!

If the quilt really tempts you, you can always go another color way. I love the indigo and white though, but I am not going to do the BHMQ either. Just not a fan of her pattern style. They are beautiful when finished but not for me. I have done several of her older free patterns and was pleased enough with the results to give them away as gifts.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:10 AM

I'm not such a complete fan of Bonnie's style either. I feel her pieces are often excessively small for the size of the project. But most of the year I do my own thing and what I really enjoy the group aspects of the mystery quilt... but I am here to admit to buying fabric. Is within Moratorium guidelines, am buying for the mystery project and am "only" buying about half the required yardage.

I'm getting one set of neutral 20 fat eighths? (9x22). Golly it's been a long time since I bought non-on-sale fabric!