Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >
  • Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

• Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-22-2014, 06:25 PM

Actually, I prefer the first, JMHO. It may just be the camera/computer, but the second one looks too brow, and i find the pattern busy. Love your other fabrics, though!.
    Old 12-22-2014, 07:09 PM

Joe's mom, I think both look great. The first yellow doesn't scream at me at all, but the color may not be coming through in the photo as strong as it does in real life.
    Old 12-22-2014, 07:22 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
    Joe's mom, I think both look great. The first yellow doesn't scream at me at all, but the color may not be coming through in the photo as strong as it does in real life.
    I thought the same thing.
    Old 12-22-2014, 08:10 PM

Joe's mom: I definitely see what your saying. I think the first one is still fine but if you feel the yellow is getting too much attention the gold really changes that. The only thought is Bonnie's designs usually are distributed throughout the quilt and it is really surprising how well they play together. With the CS I can remember thinking, "These are not going to be a pattern just separate blocks of colors." Boy was I wrong!
    Old 12-22-2014, 09:42 PM

Thank you all so much for your comments! It's so helpful to have other people's perspectives.

I am sewing away on my clue #1 HSTs, and have cut my neutral and blue strips for clue #4.
    Old 12-23-2014, 03:31 AM

I was able to do a little catching up sewing last night too. Nearly finished with Clue 2, ready to sew Clue 3, need to cut Clue 4. We did all our Christmas family gatherings last weekend so I should have some free time this weekend.
    Old 12-23-2014, 03:45 AM

When I look at your pretty pictures it is the blue that is more blue than aqua that jumps out at me, all in the perception, I guess. The blocks look really great. Cannot wait to see how it all comes together.
    Old 12-23-2014, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    I had a lovely day of sewing and catching up... now have all of clue 2 done! These were so much fun to do. Went together really easy by my method and didn't require trimming! Here is a sampling of my clue 2 blocks. Now on to clue 3!

Oh, so sorry... the site won't upload my photos. They are NOT too big (I checked) but I keep getting an error message saying it's not a valid image file. Since when is a JPEG not a valid photo file???

This sure isn't going to be nearly as fun if I can't share my photos here anymore. I'm using the same camera and computer as always...
    I'm having the same trouble!
    Old 12-23-2014, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by michelleoc
    I have been following the Facebook page for the MQ and I believe there must be a lot of people that are not part of this board. This group is always so helpful, positive and nurturing. I'm seeing a lot of negativity there, unfortunately. The Quilting Board will continue to be my "go to" source!
    I agree! That feels like cutthroat quilting! I love this board, you all are so supportive and . . . happy.
    Old 12-23-2014, 06:53 AM

Joe's mom I think you are matching what Bonnie did - light on the aqua, strong yellow for the constant, and all shades of geranium.
    She has something in mind for this and we don't know what it is. You spent a lot of time and thought choosing your fabric, so perhaps you should not abandon ship or change direction at this point, but stick to your plan and see where you end up! If you don't cut and sew each clue to completion it won't be hard to go back and switch out some blocks.

I too am puzzled by the HST units - they are very irritating to look at unassembled. But they mey look fabulous when done!