Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts >
  • Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

• Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

Old 06-23-2018, 08:27 AM

Thank you Judith. Yes I like her patterns a lot, not the fabrics she's using though. Good thing I can do my own thing
    Like you I was supposed to finish a few UFO's before starting new projects. But.....life is short and I decided I want to start Jen Kingwell quilts anyway, so I did

Today I purchased the Long Time Gone book!! I still didn't hear from the lady on Facebook about the pink Long Time Gone.
    Old 06-23-2018, 08:34 AM

I'm saving my UFO's for when I retire and have more time. I don't consider a top waiting to be quilted a UFO because I have not abandoned them, they are just waiting in line.

I've got an idea I really want to get started on - it's a wedge/medallion style quilt. So I might not start on the Baker's Dozen today. I'm still contemplating my color scheme for that one anyway.
    Old 06-23-2018, 08:47 AM

I am retired so no saving for me.......haha! I have a few waiting to be quilted but a lot more UFO's - real ones. Started projects waiting to be finished. And then they will be waiting in line to be quilted
    Old 06-23-2018, 10:50 AM

Most of my UFO's (not all) just need a border of some sort. And, then there are the real ones, that are only half done because I have a very short attention span and flit from one thing to another. Hence, the I need to finish some things. So, my goal this year is to finish as much as possible. I will probably finish two maybe three swap block quilts this year also. I'm making progress.

No more swap blocks for this year. I have over involved myself to the point that I had to put off things I really wanted to work on.
    Old 06-23-2018, 11:37 AM

I have more UFO's than I want to admit! I will finish a few this year, like my Dear Jane, the 364 Challenge and maybe one or two more. But like you Judith I have a short attention span and need to have more projects going. I almost never stick to one and finish without doing another project in between.
    Old 06-23-2018, 11:05 PM

Wow I hadn’t heard of Jenny Kingwell until I stumbled across this thread. I love all the blocks you have been making! I have only been quilting 6 months so some of these may be a but beyond me at the moment but I am definitely going to look at her patterns. Are most of the blocks put together ‘patchwork’ style or paper pieced?
    Old 06-23-2018, 11:20 PM

Hi RJLinkletter, welcome here in our Jen Kingwell world

Her blocks are pieced patchwork style. You can pp them though but you either need to draw the patterns yourself or have a programm like EQ.
    The Green Beans and Sweet Tea quilt has a lot of appliqued blocks.
    The blocks aren't hard to do. The quilts need quite some planning colourswise.
    Old 06-24-2018, 01:38 AM

Thanks Anael. I much prefer PP to patchwork as I am more accurate with PP. I don’t mind appliqué although I have mostly done fused raw edge. I am looking at the appliquick method at the moment and might try that
    Old 06-24-2018, 01:53 AM

You're welcome! I really like the Apliquick method, it's easy, no raw edges, quite fast and fun!

When you piece the blocks, you really need to use a scant 1/4" seam. The blocks come out (almost) exactly to size. Just sometimes they're not...... I guess that's pilot error hahaha!
    I love PP but when I want to practice my piecing skills I just piece, no PP.

You might want to try the Quilt Lovely book with quilts in different sizes but also pillows. Most quilts in the book are easy.
    Old 06-24-2018, 07:59 AM

Well, today I finished all the blocks of section 6 of my GW. Now I still need 4 blocks of section 5 and 4 of section 7. Then it's deciding which strips go where!
    I haven't decided on borders yet. It depends on the finished size without borders.