Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts >
  • Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

• Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

Old 12-27-2020, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Teen
    I don’t think I ever bought the pattern. I have several but I don’t think that is one of them.. GW will be my next Kingwell when I’m feeling motivated to start cuz, you know me, I finish what I start and I need to slot it in my schedule of quilts for this year. BTW...my Happy Birds quilt was gifted to my sister this year for her birthday. She went nuts over it and the sentimental value behind the making of it touched her heart...we cried thru our phone call.

Irishmom...so looking forward to seeing your MSW. The animals sounds like a fantastic idea. Should he fun to fussy cut and construct.. good luck..
    Or you do the Boho Hearts. Like GW but different I have that pattern too.

So glad your sister loves Happy Birds. It is a gorgeous quilt, made for a special person. I hope she will enjoy it for years and years to come
    Old 12-28-2020, 03:22 AM

My project for 2021 will be Dear Jen. I love samplers, and I plan to incorporate some of my guild's blocks of the week in among Jen's blocks. Looking forward to starting amid Bonnie Hunter mystery clues.
    Old 12-28-2020, 03:32 AM

I always liked samplers but I'm not attracted to them anymore.
    Never did a BH, too many tiny pieces and way too much of the same over and over again. I love the finished quilts though but I know I would never finish them!!
    Old 12-28-2020, 02:14 PM

Anael...I’ve avoided BH, too, for the same reasons but this years seems a bit more tame compared to previous years. I’m making only half the units for a smaller quilt but we’ll see.

I love samplers but what I’m finding more enjoyable are asymmetrical layout patterns...many like Kingwell’s patterns. Row after row of same block is boring though some patterns I still enjoy making them..tho, just not as much. Really depends on the pattern and how bad I want it...lol..

I like the Dear Jen pattern but I like the boho heart one, too. I have a stack of patterns to get thru...lol..
    Old 01-01-2021, 10:16 AM

So I started cutting and sewing My Small World from the pattern I got from Christmas. I'm going to post my progress here so you can all keep me on track and hopefully give good advice along the way!

So first, wow - what a pattern!! Definitely a love-hate relationship I have with it right now. It just jumps all over the place and if you make the pieces in order you won't have the right fabric values in their area. ( for example, I wish it would state which sections the block such as churn dashes will be in on their instruction page) I'm flipping between the sections a lot. I really like how at the end she has shaded the sections in the blocks to help you with values. I had no idea the pieces would be this small -- making a churn dash with 1" x 1.5" pieces, yikes! I do wish she had a page or two about picking out the fabric and colors. I get it's suppose to be my rendition, but I feel I'm floundering a bit there. (as you can see with too many shades of blue in the barn area) I'm hoping it "comes together more" when some of the fabric is re-used in other sections. It seems all over the place right now!

Anyway I'm going to do my best and realize this will be a learning journey! I decided to theme my quilt around animals and the easiest area to start was the Barn section! I'm happy to have included cows, sheep, pigs, roosters, mice, cat, horses, steers, bunnies, chicks, etc. Some of my points are awesome and some are not, but they are my points! I have included my color picture and value picture in this post.

Anael -- I already have been relooking at the fabric for my sky based on your quilt. I like how calm your low blues and white are. I think it really sets off all the color below. Thanks for posting it, it is very helpful,

Happy New Year!
    Attached Thumbnails barn-color.jpeg   barn-mono.jpeg  
    Old 01-01-2021, 10:26 AM

Awww thank you so much for your compliment!

It's a struggle at times, a learning process and I sometimes felt I wasn't going to finish it. Mostly because of the sky, consisting of only those small squares. That's why I changed it totally.
    To keep track of what goes where I copied the lay out pages and checked what I made so I knew what I still had to do.
    Jane uses her own fabrics so it's quite easy for her. For us mortals who don't own her fabrics (I don't!!) it's sometimes hard to decide what to use where. I just went with what I liked and what went together well.
    I love your barn animals!!!! So much fun It's a great start!!!
    Old 01-01-2021, 07:47 PM

Irishmom...welcome to the world of Kingwell. Though, I have not made this specific pattern, I’ve made 2 others and she definitely has her own style. All her of pattern#, it seems, are “just wing it”?..they always turn out cool in the end. I like your blocks so far. The little kitty in the window is so cute.. keep on truck in’
    Old 01-03-2021, 09:04 AM

Aneal - being a mortal can be a problem for me a lot! I have several Kaffe fabrics and I've tried to tie my color pallet in with that fabric, since there are so many colors in it. Hopefully it keeps me on track.

Teen - I hope you are correct about it working in the end! I will admit that adding the factory portion to the barn has increased my love a lot for this quilt!

So, yesterday I finished the factory portion of the quilt and attached it to the barn section. I felt everything went faster this time. The initial learning curve of her instructions is behind me. And since there was only one animal in this section selecting my fabrics went rather fast as well.

So my factory has many busy bees working there! I also had some great grey fabric with "bee" sayings which became the main factory buildings. And since they are happy worker bees I decided their product was sewing machines.

I don't want to jinx myself but everything lined up well. I did a lot of remeasuring and trimming of all the individual pieces and it really paid out in the end when I joined the two parts together.

Now the selection of animals becomes tougher - I need to determine what type of animals belong in each section. I think the city is getting the jungle animals!

Attached Thumbnails factory-color.jpeg   factory-mono.jpeg  
    Old 01-03-2021, 04:40 PM

Looks wonderful!! Every building is distinguishable to me so great job on light/dark...it’s a great fussy cut project..
    Old 01-06-2021, 05:06 AM

I love it!!!!!