Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >
  • Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

• Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 12-29-2020, 02:07 PM
    Power Poster

I got caught up through Clue 2. What a pain... all those HSTs! And the diagonal line method is my least favorite. For me, it's the least accurate. I much prefer using the Easy Angle ruler to cut triangles with the seam allowances in them, and the dog ears already gone.

Here are my 76 2.5" HSTs, and then my 16 2" HSTs.

Attached Thumbnails img_0761.jpg   img_0762.jpg  
    Old 12-29-2020, 05:08 PM

Ivy is adorable! She looks especially adorable in that dress! A little princess for sure.

Sewbizgirl, such pretty colors. They are working very well together.

​​​​​​Today I cut all my fabric but didn't have time to do any sewing. My plan was to cut everything yesterday and sew today, since I'm off o vacation yesterdAy and today, but I got stuck doing some work yesterday and it screwed up my schedule. I will now be playing catch up. I don't know if I'll find time to get to Part 2 before New Year's Day. All that said, I'm happy I was able to get everything cut! 😁
    Old 12-29-2020, 06:29 PM

Looking at clue 2 ..... for the 2.5” HST using D+E1, the clue specifies press to E1. It doesn’t specify for the 2” HSTs. Still press to E?

Old 12-29-2020, 06:35 PM

Bev...that’s what I did...pressed to E. There are only 16 of them so if we end up repressing to better nest seams, should be quick enough.
    Old 12-30-2020, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Blueridgebeverly
    Looking at clue 2 ..... for the 2.5” HST using D+E1, the clue specifies press to E1. It doesn’t specify for the 2” HSTs. Still press to E?
    that’s what I assumed .. and did.

Sewbiz girl, your DGD is precious. What a nice gift for your daughter...I’m sure she will get hooked on sewing quickly.

Teen, your soup sounds yummy and reminds me I have a duck carcass that I need to do something with so I will head to the kitchen this morning and make a duck soup with mushroom and wild rice.
    Old 12-30-2020, 07:57 AM
    Power Poster

I think I just pressed to whichever fabric I perceived to be darker. When sewing I will move some of those seams so they can "nest", and then press the sewn piece again after. I don't worry about it too much at this early point in the construction.

It's a LOT of HSTs... so don't wait til Friday if you can help it. It's good to get these done before the Crazy Sew Day.

Thanks for the comments about Ivy. She looks so sweet but is definitely a Terrible Two. She can clear a table with one sweep of her arm. And she loves to turn her milk cup into a hurling projectile. I thought I had kid-proofed my house but boy did I have a lot to learn! Still wouldn't trade her for the world. I miss hearing her cheery little greeting, "Hi, You!"
    Old 12-30-2020, 11:28 AM

I'm thinking of joining in. I was hoping the thread I ordered so I could complete the quilt on the LA was going to show up sooner, but it's looking like next weeks o with my LA tied up, I figure I've got the time. I love medallion style quilts.

I may not precut a lot of the fabric, as I really don't like some sewing methods and would prefer to cut when I know what the cuts are for. Perfect example is making HST - I hate drawing the line and sewing both sides, so having not started yet, I won't have to go that route.

My biggest challenge is that DH wants to go shopping NYD. I'm pushing for going tomorrow since I get off work at noon, or wait until Saturday. He needs some construction supplies. Two weeks ago he assured me this project would be done before the end of the year, but that isn't going to happen so what's the hurry now! He didn't feel like picking up trim the last three times we were at the home improvement store (all in December too) so I'm not feeling real accommodating. I may tell him that if he really wants to go Friday morning, he can go without me.
    Old 12-30-2020, 02:34 PM

joe’smom....My soup was delish...I think that it was a”best” for me...DH loves soup but I have to season without salt so it’s a hit and miss for me. Your soup sounds yummy!

LOL @ sewbiz....those terrible twos!! Too cute!

Welcome, Macybaby....send DH on his way and sew NYD. I’m always telling my DH who is a big time procrastinator “Your crisis is not my crisis”... lol... an old boss taught me that.... glad you are joining us..

I’m finishing up my King top and will be ready for NYD. Looking forward to doing this..
    Old 12-30-2020, 04:42 PM
    Power Poster

(Macybaby) I may not precut a lot of the fabric, as I really don't like some sewing methods and would prefer to cut when I know what the cuts are for. Perfect example is making HST - I hate drawing the line and sewing both sides, so having not started yet, I won't have to go that route.

You and me both! I wish I had waited and used my Easy Angle ruler. The drawn line method has got to be the most inaccurate way to make HSTs.

Only 2 more 'sleeps' until the MMMystery!
    Old 12-30-2020, 05:49 PM

Sewbizgirl, I had to work today and again tomorrow but I hope to get caught up tomorrow night. If not, I will start early Friday and hope that is good enough. Yikes... I've got my work cut out for me. Lol

macybaby, I hope you join in! The more the merrier!

Teen, I won a Honey Baked ham right before Christmas and made stock with the ham bone with plans to make red beans and rice and ham and potato soup. The red beans and rice came out great and I hope the soup comes out good, like yours did. My plans are to make it this weekend sometime. Wish me luck!

Teen and Jmoore, thanks for your input on pressing.

I'm very excited ! My first mystery quilt. 😯

Last edited by Sharongn; 12-30-2020 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Typo