Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2013 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2013-fabric-moratorium-t209802.html)

Emma S 12-04-2013 07:15 AM

Retired: You made me feel a little better by reminding me the vast majority of fabric I bought was at garage sales for under a buck a yard. Did really well until summer and the garage sale season. Then it was like all holds were off, started buying fabric at stores after summer.

MadQuilter 12-04-2013 01:00 PM

I gifted my serger to my SIL - not sure if she ever used it and frankly don't care.

slbram17 12-04-2013 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 6437968)
Wow, sergers. Same as everyone else. HAD to have one, got a good deal on a White. Never used it... I think I wasn't motivated enough to figure out the threading. It's in the original box in the basement. My sister got the really expensive one with the vacuum threading and uses hers all the time. If I really need something serged, I go to her house!

You're right, it can be a pain to thread but it seems like the thread lasts a long time before I need to worry about that. I do use my serger when I want to seam something really fast. And it is so much faster than using my regular sewing machine.

I don't think I would want to give mine up (but it is pretty old).

Serita

SandyinZ4 12-04-2013 03:57 PM

Back to the subject of a fabric moratorium. I hope we can do this again in 2014. I really was better this year than last but must use what I have for at least most of next year. I hate to think of leaving all my fabric to someone else so I need to get to using it. I am ready for more encouragement.

oksewglad 12-04-2013 04:06 PM

I agree SandyinZ4.

nancia 12-04-2013 05:11 PM

Sandy, i will cheer you on! What about, if every month we choose a color. And that color needs to be used in a quilted project, and pulled from stash only? If you don't have the color specified you can use a color in the same family. Sound like fun to anyone?

Emma S 12-04-2013 05:16 PM

Considering the size of my stash, I am absolutely sure I would never have to purchase fabric for a monthly project. I think it would be fun Nancia but it would have to be small since I have 8 UFO's and just started Bonnie Hunters mystery. So many fun sew along's, round robins and mysteries going on I want to do them all.

SandyinZ4 12-04-2013 08:35 PM

I like your idea Nancia but my goal this coming new year is to work on ufo's before I start anything else. Plus, if I need something to finish one of those ufo's I will shop my stash first. But I am all for posting pictures of projects completed using stash!

DustysMomma 12-04-2013 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by nancia (Post 6439197)
Sandy, i will cheer you on! What about, if every month we choose a color. And that color needs to be used in a quilted project, and pulled from stash only? If you don't have the color specified you can use a color in the same family. Sound like fun to anyone?

Nancia, that could be interesting as long as it's something small. That wouldn't do much for the stash though, lol. The man said something about my "collection" the other day & I pointed out to him that my collection was much smaller than many of my quilting friends. He looked at me and said "But it's getting there." He looked so disappointed.

PaperPrincess 12-05-2013 05:24 AM

RE: 2014 moratorium
I was going to basically going to use the same 'guidelines' as this year. Do we want to end in October again? Others have mentioned posting pics in this thread. I personally think that items made from our stash should be published in the pictures section so everyone can enjoy them (don't know how many folks will page thru this thread to view them, and we want to show them off!) what do you think?. Maybe we should have a contest for the most creative excuse for adding to our stash (the prize could be more fabric (what else!))