Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2017 UFO Challenge of the Month (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2017-ufo-challenge-month-t284858.html)

rryder 01-08-2017 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by silliness (Post 7736406)
Rob- Congrats on the poncho finish. And it has a storage pouch! Very cool. Are you keeping it?

Not sure, silliness. I got Dan to model it, but he's 6'2" tall and it doesn't fit him. I'm only 5'2", so it hangs down to my knees. I'd originally intended it for one of the granddaughters, but the oldest (21) is now over 6' tall and the youngest (18) is nearly 6' tall so it will probably be too small for either of them--though it would have fit 5 years ago if I'd finished it then LOL. Maybe next time I see youngest granddaughter I'll see how it looks on her, the color would be perfect for her and she's very slim, so it might work for her.....

Rob

happylab 01-08-2017 08:55 AM

I'm in again. I'm unsure what project(s) I will work on this month. I figure I will work on which ever UFO calls out the most to be completed. In between time, I will work on a couple WIPs. Trying not to let them become UFOs. Like some of you, I have too many (UFO's) to want to count. I just want to finish them over the next few years.

Altairss 01-08-2017 09:54 AM

Its still in the works for now as I figure out the best layout for the excel spreadsheet. I am breaking down the who what and where along with what I need. For example I have down the pattern name and the fabric line if I know it, who it is for, I also spots for backing, batting and how many blocks down out of how many needed. I mark if I have the backing and sometimes where it is stored. I am thinking of adding a spot for storage of the actual project so I can find it. Also a section for notes like needle placement if I have been sewing with a scant seam. So many times I pull an old project out to work on it and think didn't I have a backing but I can't find it.

My goal is to put each project in a project box with all things needed along with a printed copy of that line from the excel sheet. Yep being a bit OCD but I usually spend several hours to several days when I pull out an old project and I can't remember exactly what I was doing with it. I had one I could not even remember who it was for! What thread I was using when quilting and so on its easy to become discouraged about an old project and I am trying to help that for me anyway.

I also created a second sheet on the same workbook listing projects I want to do. The pattern and the name of the fabric I wanted to use. Also did I buy that fabric. I keep forgetting what I bought some fabric for or what I planned to do with it lol. Just trying to be productive.

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty (Post 7736323)
Altairss, I am very much interested in your spreadsheet concept, do you mind sharing a copy. Please inbox me a copy if you don't. Thank you.

MadQuilter 01-08-2017 12:18 PM

Altairss, that is an amazingly well organized plan to tackle the UFOs. I am not ready to face my insanity by count quite yet. I also don't know the who for many (most) of mine. I figure that once I finish one, an owner will appear.

Janice McC 01-08-2017 02:17 PM

It may not be a quilt but it's a UFO so yay, you! Toot, Toot Rryder on your poncho finish. Congratulations and think of all that space you've made. [ QUOTE=rryder;7736331]Hey all,
Here's my first 2017 UFO finish. It's not a quilt, but this fleece poncho has been sitting around unfinished for 5 years bugging me the whole time, not to mention all the space it was taking up my fabric storage drawers that could have been used for some of the things that have been covering every horizontal surface LOL. The top pic shows it folded into its onboard storage pouch.

Rob[/QUOTE]

cherrybsixty 01-08-2017 04:50 PM

Rob congratulations on your first finish for the new year.
Altairss thanks for the info regarding the spreadsheet, it help when I plan my own.

Mariposa 01-08-2017 08:21 PM

I'm jumping aboard! I have had ufo's hiding in misc. places in my sewing room and closet. I'm ready to make serious progress! ;)

Hmm.....I think I just saw that rabbit go by here a minute ago.......

elly66 01-09-2017 05:41 AM

Nice finish rryder. If the weather cooperates (which it doesn't sound like it will) I hope to finish one this week I'll root around for something small.
And by the weather I mean no more snow and wind snowing us in. I have spent way too much time with shovels this month! It's amazing how hard those drift become with some wind.

letawellman 01-09-2017 02:46 PM

Rob, I LOVE the poncho, especially the "storage pouch" part of it!!
And, remember, it's STILL a UFO finish, even if it wasn't a quilt!! We artists never seem to stick to one type of "creation"... most of us also sew home dec stuff, or clothing, or we crochet, or cross-stitch. No matter what it is, it is now no longer a UFO... and a finish is still a FINISH!! Congrats on your first finish of 2017!!

Customer quilt #1 was completed this weekend, and #2 was started. Two out of the three needed embroidery animals were stitched out. Hopefully I can get the third one done tonight when I get home from work, while quilting some more on the customer quilt.

In one way, it's a little distracting to go back and forth between the two machines (thread color changes in the embroideries, ya know), but it's actually GOOD for me, as it forces me to take a break from the longarm. I don't know WHY I didn't think of doing this before!!!!!

Now, if I had a robot for the longarm, I could embroider on one machine, have the robot quilting on the longarm, and be piecing on yet another machine.

It's probably for the best that I DON'T have the robot... I would probably really mess stuff up if I multi-tasked that much!!

Still waiting on the teddy patterns, and just got a "your fabric is backordered" for the consignment quilt. :(

Dragonfly Nana 01-09-2017 06:19 PM

Does organizing your scraps count? LOL I rearranged my quilt room (read that as cleaned) over the New Years holiday weekend and found that I have 4 drawers of scraps! Even my hubby said "My God woman, what happened in here?"

I also found several UFO's - mostly from swaps and RR but I didn't count them. Those are what I will truly be working on. I want to donate the finished RR quilts to the Veteran House which helps those in need get back on their feet.