Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2018 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2018-fabric-moratorium-t293585.html)

Teen 02-04-2018 04:20 PM

OhCanada....that is a fantastic quilt. It's going to be gorgeous. Well done on the stash use.

Petthefabric..you crack me up. Until you fall flat on your face, you can do it all... Lol! You got free stash so go for it..

retiredteacher09 02-04-2018 06:18 PM

Oh Canada: I like that diagonal setting.

Petthefabric: Free fabric and I have the feeling it is a beautiful panel.

Connie

elly66 02-05-2018 08:54 AM

Who can pass up free fabric even if there's a trade off! Oh Canada welcome aboard. Love your scrap quilt.

I am currently working on taming the scraps as well. Having a lot of fun with it though it makes such a mess of my sewing area.

Also hoping to sandwich a UFO today as well. Using my stash for the backing. So while I added FQs last month to stash, the backing is two yards used.

Teen 02-05-2018 09:15 AM

I've used 2 jelly rolls that I have had in my stash for over a year for these last 2nquilts I've made.. One was the patriotic quilt currently at quilters, which I needed to use....the other for quilt I'm working on now....my stack is dwindlin....which is sad cuz I like looking at that stack of possibilities. Oh well.... I can never have too many precuts..geesh...

oksewglad 02-05-2018 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 7996879)
I like this OhC:thumbup: The diagonal setting is really nice.

Looking at this again...did you use 1 1/2" strips for a 4" block or 2" ones for a 6" block? TIA.

petthefabric 02-05-2018 07:52 PM

I've decided..... big event..... I want to clean out my stash of everything I'm not passionate about. And don't want to give it away. So the first thing I pulled out to finish is a fabric printed as a log cabin. Sandwich that sucker and get it quilted, bound and off to comfort quilts.

sunrise450 02-06-2018 01:16 PM

OhCanada I really like your quilt. I just showed it to my DH and he asked me if I was going to make one. LOL
I got thru January without buying fabric. Even went to Joann's with my daughter and left the store empty handed. I think that is the first time that has happened. Then I needed fabric for a swap soooooooooooooo went back to Joanns and bought bunches of grays for the swap. I don't feel too bad though because that is the one color I didn't have and I bought just what I needed.

OhCanada 02-06-2018 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 7997389)
Looking at this again...did you use 1 1/2" strips for a 4" block or 2" ones for a 6" block? TIA.

Each individual strip is cut 1.5” by 4.5” , so a unit of 4 strips finishes at 4.5”, then sew 4 units together to make 8.5” blocks. The setting triangles are cut a little larger than needed, at 14” blocks for sides and 10” blocks for corners (each block is quartered). Makes it easier to square it all up if there’s some wiggle room in the setting pieces.

oksewglad 02-06-2018 04:05 PM

Thanks, OhC. I like to over cut the setting triangles, too. Sometimes there's extra on the edges to let them "float". Just makes the quilt an inch or so bigger.

Austinite 02-06-2018 04:25 PM

ok so this is dorky but my name is Austinite and I haven't bought fabric at all in 2018! and that includes when my absolute favorite LFS had a flash sale last Saturday and she has a whole collection of crazy fun Japanese prints that I've drooled over...so I'm kinda proud of myself :D