Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2018 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2018-fabric-moratorium-t293585.html)

kristakz 02-21-2018 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 8008629)
travel Exemption!!! you’re good :thumbup:

Rob

Ooh, travel exemption. So those 2 panels I bought while on retreat last weekend are free, right? :)
Despite that, I was feeling pretty good about my fabric moratorium and usage on the retreat. I used a bunch of fabric to make a quilt backing for a 2-sided quilt - four 40" swoon blocks, sashed and bordered to make a 95" back for a giant swoon quilt top. And then I looked at the original quilt on my blog - it's 91"x106". What the heck? So, rather than a back to complete a UFO, I seem to have made a new UFO. But stash usage!! So it's all good. And maybe I can find a different quilt in my stack of 41 UFOs that it can be a backing for.

petthefabric 02-22-2018 08:45 AM

"Travel exemption"-I always allow spending money when on a trip, it's just part of the fun.

We said the distance was more than 50 miles. And we're such enablers. So when I go to Visalia for my eye appointment, I'm on a trip and Thimble Towne is free shopping......yeh!!!!!

rryder 02-22-2018 08:56 AM

That's gorgeous Krista!

Rob

MadQuilter 02-22-2018 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric (Post 8008963)
"Travel exemption"-I always allow spending money when on a trip, it's just part of the fun.

We said the distance was more than 50 miles. And we're such enablers. So when I go to Visalia for my eye appointment, I'm on a trip and Thimble Towne is free shopping......yeh!!!!!

And they have such a tempting selection.

oksewglad 02-22-2018 03:43 PM

Well Krista, at least you worked at getting a UFO done...and stash reduction is a bonus! Either way, the big blocks are pretty nice.

Travel exemptions, Ha! You folks are such rationalize-rs....LOL

petthefabric 02-24-2018 11:12 PM

Got 4 more charity quilt tops made from my stash. I'll go look for backing and turn them in Thursday. Someone else quilts them. So that's roughly 8 yrds from leaving home. Still can't see any change in the amount of stash. I'll just keep working like that little ol' ant.

Battle Axe 02-25-2018 05:42 AM

I would make a narrow (1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inch) sashing out of that yellow. It can be in there, but I agree with the other quilter that it can be overwhelming.

Marcia

PaperPrincess 02-25-2018 12:07 PM

ok. haven't been here for a while. But I've been very, very, very bad. Did I mention Very? My cousin got her tax refund & made me go internet shopping with her. The parcel was shipped to my house & my husband hurt is back bringing it in. Over half the yardage is hers, but still. I think this is the worst I've fallen in years. I did get lots of backing fabric, however, and one is earmarked for a project. Sigh.

MadQuilter 02-25-2018 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 8011088)
ok. haven't been here for a while. But I've been very, very, very bad. Did I mention Very?

And be honest: Didn't it feel very, very, very good? I mean VERY good? I know the feeling and so far I have been doing OK but I am waiting for my fall. (It's always nice to be prepared)

oksewglad 02-25-2018 02:16 PM

I turned down the offer of free scraps from a local quilter. It was tough as I know the quality of her fabrics as well as her design likes...Those freebies take up a lot of "scrap" space.