Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2019 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2019-fabric-moratorium-t301821.html)

Judith1005 01-12-2019 05:40 PM

I finished piecing my Wonderland mini quilt. So, on to the actual quilting of it tomorrow. Wouldn't want it to turn into a UFO.

No Harry Potter fabric for me. No more buying. I already slipped up once. I need to stay away from Missouri Star for right now. I bought some beautiful fabric in 2017 from Missouri Star. And, I need to get that made into a quilt soon. Now, I just need to remember what the pattern was. lol, I'm sure I have it written down somewhere.

I think Pam has the right idea. Stay busy, too busy to go shopping for fabric.

retiredteacher09 01-12-2019 06:32 PM

I calculated my output and input last year and it was pretty even. I will definitely want to do better this year. I am glad there is no way to calculate all of the scraps I get donated to me. LOL!

JJBlaine 01-12-2019 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can sew again **happy dancing**

An upholstery shop told me about a little hidden hole-in-the-wall sewing machine repair shop run by a man who had to be pushing 90. Not only did he have the part I needed for my vintage singer (the presser spring), but he let me have it for just $1. For another $1, he let me have the feed dog cover so I can try doing some fmq, too. A third dollar scored me ten original bobbins.

For the first time this year, I was able to spend a whole afternoon sewing. I decided the stacks of crumb blocks and 4Ps that are my go-to L/Es were getting to high, so I put together a dozen of these blocks:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606666[/ATTACH]

The inspiration was BH's Fair and Square, but am starting to wonder. BH's had a red center square that gives your eye a place to rest, but I'm thinking the crumb center I used might make it too busy once I add all the strippy triangles. Maybe I should just add sashing and do it in rows.

**edit: the black border fabric was leftover from another quilt, so nothing spent on this one so far :)

grann of 6 01-13-2019 05:02 AM

I did a lot of quilting last year, made 43 quilts, but I know my incoming far outweighed the outgoing. A lot of that had to do with our bus trip to Paducah and then to MSQC for 2 days. I have enough Civil War FQs to make several quilts, not just one or two.

I am on my 3rd and 4th projects. #3 is all cut and waiting for Sew-In day at our LQS tomorrow. #4 is a BOM I got on sale at The Quilted Fox in St. Louis, MO. I am working on that one while the longarm is quilting. Yes, I have a computerized longarm (named Bob).

SillySusan 01-13-2019 05:35 AM

We are all doing so good with using stash!!

And, JJ, that is a wonderful find in your nice older gentleman!! You really got an excellent deal!!!

I pieced 4 tops (baby size) since Friday afternoon... all from my house full of stash, and I'm working on the 5th! I'm working from the myriad of different size squares I cut last years in a feeble attempt to gain some control of this mess! I decided to dig out the cute little designed ones and match them with matching solids from yardage. It is faster than digging through the masses of little squares! I have plenty of fabric for the backings and some batting, so these will be WIPs and not UFOs!

LindaJane 01-13-2019 05:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606673[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]606674[/ATTACH]Finished another baby quilt all done from Stash Fabrics. Also have been tackling my large mounds of scraps and have 38 string blocks done so slowly making a small dent.

grann of 6 01-13-2019 06:08 AM

Everyone is doing great! Cute quilts gals. Now I have to get to some quilts that I have to quilt for some friends, before they get lost in the stack. I'll fire up the computer so I can sew while "Bob" is quilting, with just an occasional check to see he's still on track.

Conchalea 01-13-2019 06:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Wow! Some industrious people on this board. Grann, Susan, & Linda, you are all inspirations with your dedication to using stash. I also used some stash to make & complete a wall hanging this weekend. I finished the top to Unwind & wanted a break before sandwiching & quilting, so I made a Christmas wall hanging from stash fabrics. I am including the fabric with the final product for a Start to Finish show.

Judith1005 01-13-2019 07:54 AM

JJ, I like your little scrappy block. I like the idea of adding borders to give your eyes a place to rest. That way, all your hard work won't be lost.

Linda Jane, I like your little panel quilt. You have been very busy.

Wow Sue, you are already on your 4th project for the year. You too have been very busy!

Conchalea, I like your pictures. So much inspiration showing where you started to where you finished. What a darling little topper or wall hanging. Love the fabrics. What a fun stash you have.

Here is a photo of my little topper so far. I am deciding on what to use for backing and then I will get busy quilting today.

https://i1189.photobucket.com/albums..._092739935.jpg

JenniePenny 01-13-2019 08:04 AM

This is very motivating. I'm happy to report that I'm still going strong with no fabric purchased this year. (13 days is very good and a long stretch for me!) I estimate I used 6 yards of scrap fabric for the Town Square Scrappy Log Cabin which I shared on the board last week.