Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2019 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2019-fabric-moratorium-t301821.html)

petthefabric 02-27-2019 09:47 PM

The next improve quilt is on the design wall. It needs some bright purple solid. Also, signed up for a Nancy Crow workshop. Requires 1 yd pieces of solids in a lot of colors. So I put the 2 together and got yd pieces of several colors I've noticed that I lack when I'm trying to create an art quilt. One more thing, bought a new Bernina and get 20% off for 1 year. This thread helps me really consider each purchase. I wanted to get ~30 yds, limited to 12.

SillySusan 02-28-2019 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly (Post 8217503)
I joined then 2014 moratorium and can honestly say I have only bought one piece of fabric in all this time. I just got it at the Willamette Valley quilt show this month. I still have an embarrassment of stash. I am hoping to reduce and rehome as much as possible to save my DDs the effort of hauling it off when I am gone.

Wow, MadameKelly, that is fantastic! What an inspiration to me! I thought I was doing a super job by only getting a couple of sheets from the thrift shop since 12/17, but you have me beat by several miles!! Congratulations!!

happylab 02-28-2019 01:58 AM

congrates everyone on doing a great job.

Today, I shopped my stash for backing fabric for 3 throw quilts and 1 wall hanging. I bought 2 pieces of fabric for a niece, she love unicorns. I hope she likes it. I won't get to it for a month or so, I'm still working on my BHMQ- GF. I keep telling myself 2 more weeks and it should be done.

joe'smom 02-28-2019 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my latest stash project (I've been in 'plough through the stash' mode for the past two years and am bagging started projects until I catch up on quilting my finished tops). I searched in vain for something that would work for what is now the brown center and ended up buying that fabric. I must have erred sometimes when centering the strips, because it looks like not all the blocks will match up well, so I may end up with a 2x3 instead of the square.

rryder 02-28-2019 11:56 AM

Wow Lisa, nice use of stash!!!

sounds like everyone is doing great. I may have to make my first fabric purchase of the year as I am about out of the muslin that I use to make hanging sleeves and quilt storage bags- I buy it by the bolt which means it gets put in stash because it’s not all earmarked for a specific project, but it isn’t quite the same as buying a “just because” fabric either.... hmmmm

Rob

SillySusan 02-28-2019 04:59 PM

Rob, I was an accountant at one time and I think you can call this an "expense" for doing business and not a "purchase." In other words, it is a supply (the display and/or shipping) and not for making the product (the quilt or artwork). So, in my opinion, the purchase shouldn't count as a fall off the wagon.

retiredteacher09 02-28-2019 06:51 PM

joe’smom: Very pretty!

I took a little hop off the wagon as I purchased 6.5 yards of a hunter green to finish my quilt top. I only needed 4-4.5 yards but it will be a nice blender fabric for calming down some scrappy quilts.

JJBlaine 02-28-2019 08:31 PM

This thread, with it's slips as well as successes is even more of an influence than I realized.

Two days ago, I was in the craft store looking for a sheet of plastic canvas I need for a project, and I spotted some yarn on clearance that I have ogled more than once in the past. I really wanted to bring some home with me. I've gotten so accustomed to carefully considering my fabric purchases, that I just could not justify purchasing any. I guess I am on a yarn moratorium too, lol!

Because of my fractured wrist, I haven't been able to use a rotary cutter, so I didn't get any quilting done in February. Nevertheless, I did manage to use up about 15 yards of flannel from my stash making diapers for the new grandbaby, and another 6 yards decoupaging some drawer organizers for my son. I only brought home three remnants of quilting fabric. Overall, I think I had a pretty good month on my moratorium.

Darcyshannon 02-28-2019 11:55 PM

Well, today was the first time I bought fabric this year. I bought some kona red on sale for a block I am making in an exchange and to have on hand. I bought some background fabric that I was low on WOW on sale, zippers (I am making some gifts for friends) and some mesh fabric.

I did not buy any other fabric. Also, I am working on a comfort quilt for a friend who is going through a difficult time. I am using a deep blue Moda Grunge as the BG and using some 5” charms another friend gave me for my BD. I will add to it as needed by making my own charms. I have already decided to piece the back from my stash.

I am challenged when it comes to storing small scraps. Should I do by color, value etc. Right now, I have one bag for strips. Then i have sorted by color so I can find a little bit of a color if I need it. Any suggestions?

PamelaOry 03-01-2019 12:03 AM

I’ve started using the Lori holt method, by size. 7 inch, 5 inch, 3 1/2, 21/2, and 1 1/2 inch strips. I think there are details on her blog somewhere...

Originally Posted by Darcyshannon (Post 8218081)
Well, today was the first time I bought fabric this year. I bought some kona red on sale for a block I am making in an exchange and to have on hand. I bought some background fabric that I was low on WOW on sale, zippers (I am making some gifts for friends) and some mesh fabric.

I did not buy any other fabric. Also, I am working on a comfort quilt for a friend who is going through a difficult time. I am using a deep blue Moda Grunge as the BG and using some 5” charms another friend gave me for my BD. I will add to it as needed by making my own charms. I have already decided to piece the back from my stash.

I am challenged when it comes to storing small scraps. Should I do by color, value etc. Right now, I have one bag for strips. Then i have sorted by color so I can find a little bit of a color if I need it. Any suggestions?