Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2020 UFO Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2020-ufo-challenge-t308972.html)

NZquilter 05-14-2020 05:29 AM

I have five tops ready for quilting, but I'm out of batting and quilting thread, and all the online companies are in no hurry to ship! Does anyone have a favorite online store that ships thread and batting quickly during this crazy pandemic? Quilted Twins ships so fast, but they don't carry what I need. 😕 So, while I have no UFOs finished, I have tops piling up! Anyone else in the same boat?

Watson 05-14-2020 06:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
5 year old UFO done. Check.
Now, to see what else is in the pile.
Watson

rryder 05-14-2020 07:53 AM

Watson- That's gorgeous and your quilting is amazing on this piece! Love the feather border.

Rob

joe'smom 05-14-2020 07:57 AM

NZquilter, have you tried google searching the batting you want? If you could find a smaller shop that carries it, they might have less of a shipping delay than the larger on-line shops are experiencing. Or maybe check on Etsy? I've ordered from Etsy recently and received items quickly.

edit

Gorgeous quilt, Watson! Thanks for the close-ups of your beautiful quilting.

sewbizgirl 05-14-2020 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter (Post 8385451)
I have five tops ready for quilting, but I'm out of batting and quilting thread, and all the online companies are in no hurry to ship! Does anyone have a favorite online store that ships thread and batting quickly during this crazy pandemic? Quilted Twins ships so fast, but they don't carry what I need. 😕 So, while I have no UFOs finished, I have tops piling up! Anyone else in the same boat?

NZ, I get my batting from Marshall's Dry Goods... and thread too. They have the batting by the roll. Is that what you want? I buy a lot of their 5 oz poly batting, but sometimes also their 80/20 cotton/poly blend. And I get the 12,000 yd spools of American and Efird thread: D Core which is cotton wrapped polyester. Tex 40. Marshall's has those in white, ecru and sometimes black. It's mostly all I use for quilting, and piecing too.
I would call Marshalls and ask to speak to a wholesale salesman. They can tell you how long it will take to ship. It's usually pretty fast, but with this stupid virus going on, who knows? Good luck!

NZquilter 05-14-2020 10:13 AM

Thanks, SBG! I'll look at Marshall's Dry Goods.

retiredteacher09 05-14-2020 05:12 PM

Watson: Very pretty and congratulations on the finish.

NZquilter 05-15-2020 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 8385474)
5 year old UFO done. Check.
Now, to see what else is in the pile.
Watson

It's beautiful, Watson! Do you use rulers when you quilt? I love your quilting! I just bought a set of quilting rulers and your work in such an inspiration.

sewbizgirl 05-15-2020 08:38 AM

I have not kept up here as I should... not being able to post pictures is discouraging and my camera is not cooperating.

Heartfelt condolences to those of you who have had loved ones die or be sick from this virus. Cherry, sorry for your losses.

I have tried to make a dent in my ‘to be quilted’ pile. I cut backings and batting for about 6 at a time and just peeled the top set off the pile when ready to quilt. Danger!! I accidentally picked up an extra top in that pile, as they tend to stick together, especially when using cotton batting. Yesterday I finished one with a fairly dense, all over paisley design. I did puzzle over why it seemed a little “stiff”... When I got it done and was trimming the edges, I discovered I had an extra topsandwiched in this quilt! To my horror, it was a really pretty one... pink scrappy tumblers with a few horizontal lime green bands. And now it’s lost...forever hidden in another quilt. I am 😭 about what I have done. Will only sandwich one quilt at a time, from now on. https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/eek.png

NZquilter 05-15-2020 10:00 AM

Oh goodness me, SBG!!!! That is a quilters nightmare! I'm sorry!