Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2018-19-mystery-quilt-good-fortune-t300618.html)

AlvaStitcher 12-16-2018 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]605396[/ATTACH]Here are clues 1—4 done. I wonder if Bonnie will give us another clue before this Friday. Seems like a lot to be done yet

WANNABEE 12-16-2018 02:55 PM

Alva you have plenty of variety. Don't worry.

AmyBible 12-16-2018 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oooo Alva - your blocks look so good. You have such a great variety of fabrics.

Well I saw someone on the Quiltville Open Studio FB page use a wedge ruler for Clue #4 and I thought that was a good idea so I tried it with less than thrilling results. I have a lot of scraps in *the* size that I wanted to use up but my edges are jagged. I won't be able to try anything else until Wednesday so I have a couple days to mull this Clue over.

Maybe I could just use varying widths and sew them together to get the right size rectangle and not mess with angles. That would be a little more interesting than same-size strips. Grrrrr....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]605400[/ATTACH]

Sync 12-16-2018 05:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Alva - your blocks are looking nice.

Amy - those wedge shapes look interesting. I've never done string piecing so I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this clue .............. I'm half way done clue 3 ..... pics of clue 3 and my start on clue 4 ..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]605417[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]605419[/ATTACH]

retiredteacher09 12-16-2018 06:07 PM

Wow to all of the wonderful units!

I decided just to work on the string units this weekend. I hopefully can catch up on the first 3 clues over Christmas vacation.

IrishNY 12-16-2018 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I started Good Fortune but kept interrupting my progress to work on last years MQ. I finally got it together today. I'll figure out about borders later but I'm just glad to have it off my list for now. Now I need to get serious about GF.

Siodach 12-17-2018 05:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my clue 4. I swapped orange for brown, but then decided to zing up the brown with a bit of yellow. I might appliqué some more yellow later, when I see what the reveal is...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]605437[/ATTACH]

the hole in the wood surface is where my quilting machine isn't :-(. It's in the shop for repair. These units were stitched on my new toy - a Singer featherweight 222K from 1955 !!! :-)

Cheers, K

Battle Axe 12-17-2018 06:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]605443[/ATTACH]Done! I filled in with some yellow prints with red. I was impressed with the person who did the all lemon set. When do we get to put it together?

Kassaundra 12-17-2018 08:05 AM

I have never seen the reveal before the first of the year, and earlier she hinted it may not be on the first like it has been since she doesn't have any travel engagements as early in the year as for previous years. So I wouldn't expect the reveal until at least the 1st but maybe as late as the second week of the new year.

Originally Posted by Battle Axe (Post 8177668)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]605443[/ATTACH]Done! I filled in with some yellow prints with red. I was impressed with the person who did the all lemon set. When do we get to put it together?

joe'smom 12-17-2018 08:31 AM

IrishNY, congratulations on getting your ORL together! It's beautiful, and I really love your alternate block.

Siodach, I think those pops of yellow are great!

AmyB, I eventually figured out how to do the wonky look for clue 4. You need to do a pair of wedges together. It's easy enough to shave bits off of the strings with a regular ruler, so the wedge ruler isn't necessary. However, just doing straight strings is a lot quicker and easier, imo, if the wonk is giving you trouble.

AlvaStitcher, Sync and Battle Axe -- gorgeous units!