Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2018-19-mystery-quilt-good-fortune-t300618.html)

sewbizgirl 01-10-2019 09:03 AM

Kalama, your Not Ringo was awesome... and the shirt side, even more so! It looks like a shirts Round Robin. Both sides beautiful.

Battle Ax, you did a great job with your backwards chevrons! There's always a new design to be made...

Kass, I don't use EQ, either. Probably because I'd rather spend the money on other things.... But I agree with you and Givio... it's no different than showing a good photo. Both are schematics without numbers. The current MQ is very simple and the star block can be found in many block books. The other is just 4 patches and stringed rectangles. So what's the big secret to protect?

All the commercial designers use EQ.

Tweety2911 01-10-2019 09:40 AM

Kalama you are so creative! I enjoyed your "Not Ringo" quilts and your 9 patch creation is spectacular!
Very nice Battle Axe, I like your version very much!
Leslie, I am loving those purple units!
Kathy, your quilt is coming along beautifully!

It is such a thrill to see everyone's progress and the talent of those who think outside the box. Awesome!!

Sync 01-10-2019 11:32 AM

Leslie, love those purple strings. Can't wait to see your GF all together.

BattleAxe, I love what you did with your wrong way chevrons.

Kalama, great job on your double sided Not on Ringo Lake ...... love that name.

joe'smom 01-10-2019 01:16 PM

Leslie, I think your beautiful purples are going to work out great. Can't wait to see it.

BatteAxe, you did wonders with those wrong way chevrons!

I now have both of my red units done, about a third of my first quarter star units sewn, must now finish pinning the rest and pin the bright version. Inching along. I found six milder oranges in my oranges, and will try making matched set clue 4 blocks with those, and if I don't care for that, there's one mild orange I have sufficient yardage of to just use that one alone.

Sandra-P 01-10-2019 01:57 PM

It is so good to see the progress made with all the different colors. I am really grateful that each year Bonnie does this mystery and have no problem following the requests she has.

AnngelAnne 01-11-2019 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe (Post 8189931)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606491[/ATTACH]Here she is, mistakes galore, cause for grinding teeth, etc. Points are all catywhompus and the chevrons, will I've spoken of that before. What I did manage to do correctly?? is to hide the sage green that I used in both the chevrons and the green border. I had quite a few left over. I still have that last border to do. But I wanted to see what I was getting.

Oh my gosh, I love that word, "Catywhompus", totally fits in quilting. Going to remember that one, lol.

Battle Axe 01-11-2019 05:35 PM

I'm down to the last border. I borrowed a border treatment from a woman named Cole on Facebook. It uses the same blocks, but just put together differently. Somehow....I think when I took the paper off the short neutral border, I stretched it. Nevertheless, I'm having to easeeeee this last one in big time. I should have stitched around that border to hold it, but hindsight is better. Did anyone else have this problem? Is it ok to put a dart in that scrappy border?

toverly 01-11-2019 06:02 PM

Rippety do dah is the name for these borders. I set out to make them today and only got 1 1/2 done. It's amazingly easy to flip those triangles. Tomorrow I will try again.

Sandra-P 01-12-2019 04:37 AM

Well I somehow tossed out the leftover bits from Clue 3 the 200 squares that are green and white. Now I dont know what I am going to replace them with. So will have to think on this to see what I will do. I really dont want to have to redo them. Might just put in strips of some sort. Has anyone else done this? Looking for suggestions.

cindyb 01-12-2019 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe (Post 8191054)
I'm down to the last border. I borrowed a border treatment from a woman named Cole on Facebook. It uses the same blocks, but just put together differently. Somehow....I think when I took the paper off the short neutral border, I stretched it. Nevertheless, I'm having to easeeeee this last one in big time. I should have stitched around that border to hold it, but hindsight is better. Did anyone else have this problem? Is it ok to put a dart in that scrappy border?

I am to the point of the shorter neutral border and am so glad you suggested stitching around it to hold it. I was thinking that they would be coming apart when working with them. Thanks!