Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

retiredteacher09 02-11-2020 04:18 PM

Claire: Very pretty!

KalamaQuilts 02-12-2020 08:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
nice finish Claire!
I'll be sending mine out to be quilted too, backed with one of the other finished mystery tops in the pile.
I only quilt my own when they are 40" or less. I Really don't enjoy machine quilting and I so seldom buy fabric I consider that non-expense goes toward my quilting ;)

In the 'if I had it to do over' I'd have switched the pink out to orange or green, this is a pretty pink and blue quilt in 30's.

Iceblossom 02-12-2020 09:31 AM

Time for a coffee break/progress report. I am putting together the rows, still on track. This part is always so fun. I got a little confused at my Tuesday group pinning when I came to the sashing cornerstones that were basically just hanging in the air, but I did indeed pin them correctly. Goal is to get it ready for the border today, border tomorrow.

With my small work/layout space and since I had enough fabric in my "cut large and trim down", once everything was committed to and the setting triangles were in place, I trimmed them down after they were connection correctly to their square. I'm just not going to be able to do a good job if I wait until it's all put together. I was able to cut at .5" lining up along the squares in the 4-patches. Then I stabilized them at 1/4" which is the actual seam allowance. Just let the machine take it in easy and gentle along those bias edges while they are small and not a lot of tension on them. I might leave this as a half inch seam allowance on both sides, more decisions to make when I put on the inner border.

origamigoldfish 02-12-2020 03:52 PM

Such beautiful progress photos, everyone! I am only halfway through my main blocks, but they're getting easier and faster to put together. I am also out of the fabric combinations I just didn't love and into the ones I like much better, so piecing the blocks together is a joy instead of a chore. So is giving myself the freedom from making all of my points line up perfectly. I'm still a beginner and flying geese were a new unit for me. I will rip and redo a seam once...but it stays the way it is after that point.

It seems like with every project right close to the end I figure out something that would have made the whole process easier if I had known it from the beginning. This time it is how to get my consistent scant quarter seam without a quarter-inch foot or a bulky fabric guide. Now that I have it, I can sew faster and my machine doesn't catch and distort seams or chew on nearly as many triangle points as it did.

As for quilting? I am tempted to send it to a longarmer so I don't have to look at it anymore, but I really enjoy actually quilting. I am considering echoing the nine-patch grid of these blocks with my walking foot and diagonal straight lines, but I think something curvy would work too. Baptist Fans or freeform spirals....or pebbling! The latter two would mean FMQ though, and I have never FMQ anything bigger than a pot holder :D

Krisb 02-12-2020 04:43 PM

Well...the borders are all pieced, the inner border is on, the pinwheels ill go on tomorrow. Then I will need to decide if I want one more border, maybe deep blue, for the eye to rest on the edge. See what it looks like. The binding will be green with a white flange.

wildyard 02-12-2020 05:33 PM

I am finishing the second comfort quilt that interrupted my mystery. I have the second one layered and pinned and I'll quilt it tomorrow. Hopefully by Saturday I can get back to the mystery. I am going to play with the border HSTs and see if I can come up with anything I like. Otherwise I will add a single fabric border and binding to match. If I don't go fancy, I'll go very plain. lol

I am loving all the quilts but I think so far Kalamaquilts' is my favorite. Love those repro fabrics. That was a surprise to me for as a rule, I am not drawn to them.
I posted the top of this comfort quilt in Pictures. I am so pleased with how it came out. I drew it up on graph paper and it looks almost exactly like my sketch.

KalamaQuilts 02-12-2020 06:22 PM

One of the things I’m thinking about for border is that pile of pink and white sashing I won’t be using, stacking them. I’d need a lot more but that is easy Peasy work, I’ll also have a ton of blue and white 1/2 square triangles I can incorporate.i love making quilts!

AngeliaNR 02-12-2020 07:32 PM

Working on borders--I'm doing a zigzag rather than sawtooth. Fighting a virus (again), so I'm not moving forward too quickly.

SusieQOH 02-13-2020 04:59 AM

I have all my rows done. Today I hope to sew them all together. Yippee!

joe'smom 02-13-2020 07:40 AM

I have one more block to put together on the En Provence that pushed my Frolic to the sidelines, then on to borders. I think fear of quilting it is the reason I delayed finishing this top for so long. But the idea is somewhat less daunting since I decided these somber colors look better as a 3x3 block quilt than as a 4x4.