Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

WMUTeach 02-26-2020 05:15 PM

QuiltsRfun, that is a beautiful version of this challenging quilt. Lovely color choices and a pleasant layout. Once again, color makes all the difference in how the pattern reveals itself. Using multiple fabrics but not totally scrappy throughout calms down the business and allows the beautiful stars to shine. Congratulations on the "almost" finish.

audsgirl 02-26-2020 10:21 PM

quiltsRfun: That looks just super! Isn't it neat how different quilts look with a change of color? Yours almost has a look of a woven coverlet.

Leslie

KalamaQuilts 02-27-2020 05:42 AM

If you are stopped by the 'busy' use plain sashing. It will calm the whole effect down. The pieced sashing can be stacked and used on the back or in a border. better to not use part of one clue than have the waste of the whole project setting in a closet.

joe'smom 02-27-2020 07:39 AM

quiltsRfun, your version is lovely! I've noticed how having a darker color in the 'green' spot makes the quilt appear much more orderly, even when set on point.

ScubaK 02-27-2020 09:55 AM

Ok. I have all my 25 blocks complete. Now I am doing the 1/2 blocks. I haven't even begun to do sashing and corner stones.
Question; Are there really that many unused pieces in the 16 sets for the 1/2 blocks? Truly???
I am loving to see everyones on here. It inspires me to keep stitching.
Thanks
Kirsten

Iceblossom 02-27-2020 09:58 AM

Yes, ScubaK, there is roughly 6 blocks worth of pieces left over if you make one corner/one setting triangle per set.

I added in extra 4 patches particularly and came out with 9 full blocks after making all my four corners the same and each set into two triangles instead of one.

origamigoldfish 02-29-2020 11:01 AM

I am having another sewing day today...working on the half blocks and corners. Four half blocks to go, and the corners. If it is still light enough I can see to iron by the time I get those finished, I will start sewing the sashing together. Not a lot of progress, but I'm chugging along!

Iceblossom 03-04-2020 01:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Goodness, my thinking unit was giving me all sorts of problems in this rather straight forward (once the blocks were done) pieced back. It's amazing what a bit of measuring and thinking can prevent, unfortunately I had to react to mistakes... Good thing the print is so busy. I did keep the print going in one direction but other than that didn't bother with matching anything.

But Frolic is officially finished for me, I count a finished top as a finished project and not a UFO. It has gone to join the stack of those tops waiting to be quilting. I still have no idea on how to quilt it down and am still considering sending it out to be finished.

First shot is the pieced back, second shows the cut binding -- that fabric was much more vibrant before it got its needed boil! I do cut my binding a bit fuller than most, 3" and I love what the bias does to striped fabrics. I used to fold it and iron it and I like it stored that way better, but I've been trying the suggestion to not press first and it is working just fine for me.

KalamaQuilts 03-04-2020 03:22 PM

COool! Well done you,

retiredteacher09 03-04-2020 04:54 PM

Iceblossom: Awewome! Congratulations on your finished top.