Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

jmoore 12-17-2019 04:25 AM

I have enjoyed reading everyone’s posts re: methods to complete Clue 3. I have the Easy Angle ruler that I purchased when I did BH’s Allietare mystery but I think I’m going to try it along with Queenbarbiej’s video to see which is faster and most accurate.

wildyard 12-17-2019 08:50 AM

I sat down to rip out the stitching on my strips... yes I used the tiny 1.8 stitch length since I was going to be cutting them. Lol, after doing one section about 5" long, I decided to forget that and just make them over. I cut my squares and got them all lined up, marked and pinned.. I'm doing the 8 at a time... today I will start sewing them.
I will find a way to use the strips I made, either in this project or in another one. They won't go to waste!

Iceblossom 12-17-2019 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Woohoo! Trimmed and done for this week.

Making tamales for the rest of my creative part of the day.

toverly 12-17-2019 01:26 PM

Yum, love tamales. Like your colors. That school bus yellow really pops.

suern3 12-17-2019 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by jmoore (Post 8341306)
I have enjoyed reading everyone’s posts re: methods to complete Clue 3. I have the Easy Angle ruler that I purchased when I did BH’s Allietare mystery but I think I’m going to try it along with Queenbarbiej’s video to see which is faster and most accurate.

Hope you let us know what you decide! Maybe I need to try another new method.

wildyard 12-17-2019 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love tamales too. I have never made them on my own but once helped make them with my 3 sisters. We had so much fun and they were so better than most you get.

Finished my clue 3 HSTs today, using the 8 at a time method.... ears clipped and ready to go.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]621040[/ATTACH]

Quilter7x 12-17-2019 05:11 PM

your colors Wildyard!

jmoore 12-17-2019 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 (Post 8341639)
Hope you let us know what you decide! Maybe I need to try another new method.

After using the 8 at a time method and BH’s Essential Triangle tool I have decided to continue my HSTs using her tool. This is what I discovered...doing the 8 at a time meant that I had to cut 6” squares when some of my fabric pieces (from my stash) were actually strips and not wide enough to get a 6” cut. Also using this method meant that I was having to trim every block to get an accurate 2 1/2 HST.

Using the Essential Triangle tool, I result in a nearly perfect 2 1/2” HST and only need to trim the dog ears from one end. I also found it easier to chain piece them one right after another rather than the 8 at a time method. Additionally, I was able to use short length pieces from my stash to get a good assortment.

I’m sure there will be times I will use the 8 at a time method, but for this project BH’s tool works just grand.

joe'smom 12-17-2019 09:40 PM

Beautiful fabrics, wildyard!

craft 12-18-2019 05:18 AM

My plan was to do this years quilt mystery however I just had a major right shoulder surgery on December 11.I wonder if it's possible to print off each one of the clues that Bonnie gives use and start on the mystery quilt later. I can still search my fabric that I will need for the quilt because that takes only one arm and hand to search with.