Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   FFC -- One FQ: "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ffc-one-fq-sew-much-creativity-q-c-t221233.html)

mirabelle 01-17-2014 02:34 AM

I should have been checking out this thread a little more often, wow lots of chatting going on. OK I love your micro-mini so cute.
Picked up DD's copy of DJ today and have been reading and pondering all those little pieces, and possibly wondering if I was mad or not.
Will let you know QE

Anael 01-17-2014 02:48 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Jeanie I think the pieces are way too small to do that with the machine. I never tried it and I don't like hand applique that much either. Here are some of mine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]457008[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]457009[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]457010[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]457011[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]457012[/ATTACH]

QuiltE 01-17-2014 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG (Post 6517209)
What about using your sewing machine and doing a real small applique stitch around those edges? I've used it a time or two and I think it turned out ok. But maybe ok is not good enough? I hate applique too, and my arthritic fingers give me fits with all that small stitching.

It is something I was actually wondering about too ... it'd sure be simpler way to do the applique!!! I'm definitely not a purist, so not against trying other things ... like adding an extra seam to skip a y-seam!

Better still ... just skip the step I did and use SAS and then machine applique with a blanket stitch. :)

janRN 01-17-2014 05:32 AM

Wow OK, those are beautiful. Your applique blocks are all nice and flat--the one I did turned out to look like my bra! Your little mini is amazing. And yinz think I'm anal LOL!!

QuiltE 01-17-2014 05:57 AM

JanRN ... you're just too funny! but I bet yours was not quite like you think it is! :D

Anael ... oh so pretty and delicate!! Are you doing yours as a total scrappy? Or keeping within shades of red, black and white? Trying for no repeats on the fabrics? Me-thinks I will have to try to tackle the 4-hearts for their symbolism next month ..... but blue hearts? Just don't seem any better than my maple leaf in blue. So wrong!! :)

MiraB ... You are far from mad ... just think of it as downsizing from the FWS! So what's holding you back?? Get that program installed and giddy up! :D:D

carriem 01-17-2014 06:07 AM

What fun seeing the various DJ blocks!

I am planning to join you all with DJ just as soon as I can sew again. :) I have my fabric chosen and several patterns printed/cut out. Now to be able to cut fabric and I will be good to go...this elbow thing isn't good for pp'ing since there's so much trimming. Oh and I've decided to make a couple smaller quilts so am skipping the applique blocks...not something I want to learn right now.

QuiltE 01-17-2014 06:15 AM

CarrieM ... I am sure you are getting frustrated with your inactivity! Maybe you could create a school lesson (or six?) for your kids and get them busy prepping things for you? I'm thinking rotary cutting would not be good at all for your elbow ... a lot of pressure there! Wonder? could you manage sewing a jelly roll quilt right now? just so you can feel productive?

carriem 01-17-2014 06:37 AM

QE--it has been a long week! Lots of tv (which I rarely watch during the day normally) and computer time. I do have a couple jelly rolls, maybe I could put them together for baby quilts; each only has 20 strips/are kids prints. Thanks for the idea. :) I am getting a haircut (and wash) today. I haven't washed my hair since Monday (before procedure) so it will be *very nice*!

School time....

Anael 01-17-2014 07:26 AM

QuiltE, did I tell you I love your blue blocks? Maybe not :o
I try to follow the original DJ colourwise but I do have repeats of fabrics. I intend not to buy any more fabrics and use just what I have, meaning repeats. That's ok with me.

oksewglad 01-17-2014 08:44 AM

I love looking at these little blocks! Thanks Anael.
Carrie, hope the waiting time goes fast for you. Take care. :)
QE what about white hearts on a blue background? Since I don't know what the pattern looks like, not sure if it would work but worth a try.