Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Harriet's Journey BOM (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/harriets-journey-bom-t314256.html)

DottyD 02-18-2021 08:00 AM

Harriet's Journey BOM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach (Post 8461855)
Tee-Hee-Hee! I have the Farmer's Wife sampler quilt going from about 4 years ago sitting in my UFO basket. But I only have about 30 - 35 more blocks to go. So I just had to start another.https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/wink.png Silly me. It would be wonderful, grand, amazing to get them both done in 2021.

Of course you can do two quilts !!! x

DottyD 02-18-2021 08:06 AM

Harriet's Journey BOM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 8461905)
Anticipation is building. I keep changing my mind about fabrics. It may mean that I start several versions then decide which one I like best. I'm oh so tempted to start with new fabric. Never really done that, I always start with my stash.

That is what I am sort of doing !! With a Moda fabric, I have got quite a bit of "Holly Woods " design but sadly Moda have discontinued the line, so I will match it up with other similar colours !

WMUTeach 02-18-2021 03:30 PM

My book arrived today and I have been perusing it. This will be a challenge for me, for sure. I am an experienced quilter but these small blocks demand precision which is an improving skill. https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

As you make your fabric choices, would you post a photo. This is where I always get stuck. And any hints that help you to be precise would be much appreciated too. I want success not another UFO like my Farmer's Wife. Tee-Hee-Hee.

DottyD 02-19-2021 01:48 AM

Harriet's Journey BOM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach (Post 8462071)
My book arrived today and I have been perusing it. This will be a challenge for me, for sure. I am an experienced quilter but these small blocks demand precision which is an improving skill. https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

As you make your fabric choices, would you post a photo. This is where I always get stuck. And any hints that help you to be precise would be much appreciated too. I want success not another UFO like my Farmer's Wife. Tee-Hee-Hee.

This is the fabric I am using and is called Holly Woods by Moda, Sadly the line is discontinued but i am adding similar colours - mostly from my stash )
https://www.modafabric.co.uk/moda-fa...-layer-cake.ir

Hope that might help. I researched the fabric used in the book of Harriet's Journey. It is Red Rooster Fabrics and is called Lucy's Collection by Jennifer Chiaverini. Sadly, I can't source it here in the UK.

When I have made previous Sampler Quilts it certainly does need precision cutting and sewing, one tip I would say is to cut your fabric just slightly bigger and then trim back to required size.
My first Sampler Quilt was Dear Jane which are 4 1/2 " blocks and I learnt so much whilst making the 225 blocks. So when I made 6" blocks they seemed so much bigger ha ha !!

It is all good fun and making the blocks together will spur us all along. !!

Blueridgebeverly 02-19-2021 02:34 AM

WMUTeach, I wanted to mostly rely on fabric I already have on hand for the project. I have a jelly roll and charm of Edyta Sitar’s Super Bloom collection. I noticed most of the cuts for the blocks are less than 5” .... so I think this will get me started. I can buy more later or pull from my stash.

The collection doesn’t have green prints, but it does have a dark khaki and a light khaki that I’ll try to substitute for green. I may decide to pull green in from other collections if I find something I like. It also doesn’t have gold, but I have a tan print on hand I think will work in place of gold. I will need to buy fabric for the border.

toverly 02-19-2021 05:30 AM

Great colors Dotty D, that will be awesome. those should be easy to match in the Moda line. I know I have mixed collections before and their dyes seem to run similar.

Blueridgebeverly, you choose like I choose. Thanks for pointing out that the cuts seem to be mostly smaller than 5". I'm trying hard not to pre-examine the book. I like it to be a surprise which one comes next. But it sure helps when others comment.

I'm trying hard to come up with a focus fabric to concentrate on this time. I just finished Bonnie Hunter's Grassy Creek and changed the colors based on a focus fabric for the border. Since this one has a wide border, I think it will work here. I never realized how much of my stash I have worked down. My favorite colors seem to be absent. It's all gone the way of face masks. But then I love it when I see a sampler in shades of blue or red. The joy of waiting.

Blueridgebeverly 02-19-2021 07:02 AM

What I’m trying to decide is whether to buy enough beige for background or use various light prints for background. I have a bunch of light fabric in my stash. What do you guys think?

DottyD 02-19-2021 10:23 AM

Harriet's Journey BOM

Originally Posted by Blueridgebeverly (Post 8462145)
WMUTeach, I wanted to mostly rely on fabric I already have on hand for the project. I have a jelly roll and charm of Edyta Sitar’s Super Bloom collection. I noticed most of the cuts for the blocks are less than 5” .... so I think this will get me started. I can buy more later or pull from my stash.

The collection doesn’t have green prints, but it does have a dark khaki and a light khaki that I’ll try to substitute for green. I may decide to pull green in from other collections if I find something I like. It also doesn’t have gold, but I have a tan print on hand I think will work in place of gold. I will need to buy fabric for the border.

Sounds really nice !!

DottyD 02-19-2021 10:26 AM

Harriet's Journey BOM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 8462174)
Great colors Dotty D, that will be awesome. those should be easy to match in the Moda line. I know I have mixed collections before and their dyes seem to run similar.

Blueridgebeverly, you choose like I choose. Thanks for pointing out that the cuts seem to be mostly smaller than 5". I'm trying hard not to pre-examine the book. I like it to be a surprise which one comes next. But it sure helps when others comment.

I'm trying hard to come up with a focus fabric to concentrate on this time. I just finished Bonnie Hunter's Grassy Creek and changed the colors based on a focus fabric for the border. Since this one has a wide border, I think it will work here. I never realized how much of my stash I have worked down. My favorite colors seem to be absent. It's all gone the way of face masks. But then I love it when I see a sampler in shades of blue or red. The joy of waiting.

It is amazing how colours can match and that is one of the parts I like the most !

DottyD 02-19-2021 10:28 AM

Harriet's Journey BOM

Originally Posted by Blueridgebeverly (Post 8462212)
What I’m trying to decide is whether to buy enough beige for background or use various light prints for background. I have a bunch of light fabric in my stash. What do you guys think?

I am using similar background fabrics that match the colours in the block and I hope I have enough of a Moda Bella Solid in an ivory / cream for all the sashing !!