Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/orphaned-blocks-qayg-challenge-t196192.html)

wildyard 07-30-2012 06:14 PM

Count me in, too. I am especially interested in learning how to do the kind that is all machine stitched as I cannot do the head sewing due to physical restrictions.

cbridges22 07-30-2012 06:43 PM

I am along for the learning experience!

frustratedquilter40 07-30-2012 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Liz92B (Post 5406335)
I'm in!!! ... if I ever get off my tush and actually get something done (maybe when the weather cools down enough to go into my sewing room!!)

I know what you mean my sewing room is upstairs and there is no air conditioner up there not a lot gets done as far as sewing goes during the summer just a lot of fabric swaps were I can cut them down stairs and get them sent :) I am in also have made one but turned out kind of wonky and was not supposed to be. Trying to think of the name of the pattern but it escapes my memory right now and got rid of the pattern after I made it.

Jenniky 07-31-2012 04:17 AM

Welcome in Judy, Katfish, Dublb, Wildyard, Cbridges and Frustratedquilter. Wildyard we will definitely be covering all machine sewn QAYG techniques.

I would love to see some pictures of the orphaned or selected blocks everyone is planning to use. For practice purposes I would encourage those that are interested to select at the minimal four same sized blocks to put together. Another suggestion for this project would be to make six to eight solid 6 x 6 blocks. When you quilt each block uses a different quilt design method. For example stippling, meandering, echo, outline, diamond grid, cross-hatching. This will give you a lovely small wall quilt sampler to hang in your sewing room for future inspiration.

gardnergal970 07-31-2012 04:51 AM

I'm definitely in. I've already started putting together a mystery quilt that way with a technique I saw on line and will have to finish it the way I started it. I have enough blocks waiting in the wings to do several more techniques.

quilting nurse 07-31-2012 04:52 AM

I am very interested in learning this way to get things done.

ctipton 07-31-2012 12:36 PM

Hello I'm in thanks for showing us.. Sorry not a canuck:thumbup:

rwquilts 07-31-2012 12:39 PM

Jen, I found your thread! Have this bookmarked and will be following along to see if you can make a believer out of me in the QAYG method! :)

Jenniky 07-31-2012 01:38 PM

Gardenrgal, Quilting Nurse, Ctiption, Ronda(rwquilts) welcome in I'm glad you all found your way here. :)

Was a long trip today into Danville, IL to pick up my quilt from the LAQ. :) She did and awesome job and I can hardly wait to start sewing the binding on. Im going to get a few things done then I will sit down and post Steps for making the quilting sandwiches and discuss quilting them and squaring them up to prepare to join the first units. :thumbup:

Would love to see everyone's orphaned blocks..... or should we call them adopted blocks now that they have found a home in this new project. :thumbup:

lovelyl 07-31-2012 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5406632)

W4Me
... Yea!! Another Canuck to the fold! :) there's different techniques for QAYG and I'm sure that you can find one that would work for Franky! Perhaps quilt Franky as one giant block, then add the other blocks as sections to it?

LovelyL ... Of course, we'd love to have you as an Honourary Canuck! Besides O is for Ontario + Ohio and too, Ohio is just across the Lake from us! :) And you have the Wawa background!! :)

QuiltE - Check out my location now! :thumbup: