Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

ScubaK 12-08-2017 09:40 PM

SuziSew!!!
That is going to be amazing!!! I cannot wait to see the finished quilt!!!
Kirsten

Sandra-P 12-09-2017 02:44 AM

Macybaby, you are a gem! Thank you for taking the time to show that. I have mine cut already but you made it so clear.

Belfrybat 12-09-2017 05:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Someone on Facebook posted a strip method of doing these units. I saved it to my computer as I know the post will be taken down as soon as Bonnie sees it. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like a good way to make them. There person didn't give dimensions since Bonnie won't allow sizes to be posted on Facebook. But here are the directions and a picture of the strip sets. These do end up on the bias but starching them will help.

Cut 3 strips (2 neutral, 1 coral) WOF, sewed them together and cut the mat a 45 degree angle, then trimmed edges to size.
It's a bit difficult to give the measurements if we're not allowed to reveal sizes, but if you make one sample using the method described in the clue, you can then work out the width of strips you'll need by measuring the distance between the parallel edges of the coral then adding 0.5 inch. The neutral will be the width of the measurement from the apex of the triangle to the base plus quarter of an inch (if just using one strip set) or plus half an inch if you are going to add more coral on the other side.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]585000[/ATTACH]

Kassaundra 12-09-2017 06:21 AM

Cool idea, the only negative I can see is you end up w/ bias edges on your units, but as long as you (the proverbial you) is aware and treat them accordingly shouldn't be a big problem.

rryder 12-09-2017 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7958402)
PM me your address, and I will send you some blues. I got too many. Jane

Thanks Jane, PM sent your way!

rryder 12-09-2017 06:55 AM

everyone's units are looking great! I love seeing all the different fabrics everyone chose. I have to say, that 3rd clue has me wondering why I decided to do the whole thing... but since I've only finished clue 2 and not started clue 1 I could just decide to save the extra FG for something else and drop down to a half size.

I'm still not up to snuff, the eye surgery took more out of me than I expected. The pain meds make me too queasy so trying not to take them. Then yesterday afternoon after 1st post op appointment I managed to cut my middle finger on my right hand while wiping the snow off DH's passenger side mirror-- bled like a stuck pig, but it's on the top side right at the knuckle before the tip so can't be stitched, just wrapped in a whopper of a bandage which makes using the rotary cutter a little dicey (pardon the pun, I couldn't help it). If I get anything done today it will just be printing out clue 3.

Rob

kristijoy 12-09-2017 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 7959225)
everyone's units are looking great! I love seeing all the different fabrics everyone chose. I have to say, that 3rd clue has me wondering why I decided to do the whole thing... but since I've only finished clue 2 and not started clue 1 I could just decide to save the extra FG for something else and drop down to a half size.

I'm still not up to snuff, the eye surgery took more out of me than I expected. The pain meds make me too queasy so trying not to take them. Then yesterday afternoon after 1st post op appointment I managed to cut my middle finger on my right hand while wiping the snow off DH's passenger side mirror-- bled like a stuck pig, but it's on the top side right at the knuckle before the tip so can't be stitched, just wrapped in a whopper of a bandage which makes using the rotary cutter a little dicey (pardon the pun, I couldn't help it). If I get anything done today it will just be printing out clue 3.

Rob

Oh Rob...I'm so sorry! Sounds like you had a rough day. Maybe print out your clue, find some quilting books or magazines, a cup of tea and put your feet up!

Belfrybat 12-09-2017 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I worked out the dimensions to strip piece these units. I cut the coral 2-3/4 and the 2 neutral strips 1-3/4. Sewed them together, pressed and lightly starched them, and cut a 45 degree angle. Then subcut into 2" pieces. Without lifting the fabric I then could cut all the neutral triangles off at one time. My pieces came out a tad over 5", so the next strip set I will use a full 1/4" rather than scant.
All I need to figure out now is the direction to press the strips as my test ones were pressed the wrong way.

I am so glad I checked Facebook early this morning as the post describing how to do it this way has already been taken down.

The top piece in the picture is using the 2" squares at the end sewn diagonally and is about 1/16" to short. The second two are strip pieced and are about 1/16" too long. But changing to a full quarter inch on the machine should fix that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585002[/ATTACH]

NZquilter 12-09-2017 08:28 AM

Belfrybat, that is a very interesting method for sure! I would have never thought of doing it that way. Thanks for sharing!

sewbizgirl 12-09-2017 09:05 AM

Rob, sorry the eye surgery was rougher than anticipated. Rest. And I'm very sorry about your cut finger. Those are so annoying when we want to quilt! Keep it wrapped well and in a few days I hope it is much better.

Looks like everyone is finding their own way with these clue 3 units. Never say 'die'! :D I hope to get my second set knocked out today. Only 60, because I'm just doing half.