Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders >
  • QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders

• QB Flinging Flimsies - Mad Adders

Old 06-09-2024, 07:46 AM

aashley, here is a youtube video tutorial for the dancing squares technique by Ricky Tims

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6qaPTpJvvo
    Old 06-27-2024, 02:40 PM

Ricky Tims has just announced the inaugural pin design and the winning group from Utah. I hope everyone has had time to work on their quilts since we last talked. Time is flying by and mine still sits waiting for me to pay attention to it.
    Old 06-27-2024, 02:53 PM

Yeah... my mom had hip replacement surgery a week ago and has been keeping me hopping ever since. I've turned on my longarm 4 times and have yet to take a single stitch.

Ibex, do you know when the final date is? I just checked the website and it's not posted.
    Old 06-27-2024, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Yeah... my mom had hip replacement surgery a week ago and has been keeping me hopping ever since. I've turned on my longarm 4 times and have yet to take a single stitch.

Ibex, do you know when the final date is? I just checked the website and it's not posted.
    Everyone in a group had to post a fully completed quilt by the end of May to get the group into the prize competition. I don't know if there is another deadline for the enamel pin or if he's only sending to those that posted finished tops in the June galleries.
    Old 06-28-2024, 10:02 AM

I wish he had given a reason(s) for his choices....

everyone should have received an email with the winners listed....1st, 2nd & honorable mention...

was there a second? can't remember

yes, I believe there was

muddled...just had a birthday with LOTS of candles...
    Old 06-29-2024, 05:14 PM

Happy Birthday, 1CharmShort!!! 39 candles is a lot of candles!!!

Peckish, it was the end of May, May 29. We all did get our picture into the showcase so we should all be receiving a pin. Ricky said we did not have to have it all quilted up. I just looked at the winning group's pictures and two of them were not quilted so I don't think that would have penalized anyone.

Second place went to On the Press-a-Piece from New Mexico.

The final showcase gallery has those two groups at the very end of the pictures.

I guess we wll have to rewatch the video to figure out what he liked most from those two groups and the honorable mentions to figure out how he managed to pick one group over another. He really liked repeating patterns in many of the quilts as he was discussing them. He also liked curves and certain colors. But I can't tell how he picked out the groups he picked. Tough call! I may take the next class of it just to see how he changes up the instructions.
    Old 07-01-2024, 12:35 PM

Ok I thought Ricky had said something about one more picture once our projects were quilted, who knows where I got that.
    Thank you Ibex!

I think Ricky's top choices were very Ricky-ish, go figure. 😆😆 I remember I had sent him a picture of yours and asked him for help on the final round because I was completely stumped. It seemed so chaotic to me and I couldn't figure out a way to "unify". He absolutely LOVED it, he loved the chaos and the improv and the breaking of so-called quilting rules, which is definitely his style. I wonder what the results would have been if we all had been allowed to vote, kind of like a viewer's choice thing.
    Old 07-02-2024, 09:24 AM

Viewer's choice vote sounds great!, Peckish!! One more suggestion to send to Ricky :-)

The only picture you lacked, Peckish, was the one of you holding the quilt. If he doesn't send you a pin because of missing that shot, I will fuss bigtime. I cannot imagine that anyone that submitted their final, standalone top will be denied a pin.

He just sent out an email saying that the great dane he used to have but had to give away because it didn't get along with the other two, has died. Something about lung air getting into body cavity and none of the attempted procedures stopped it from happening. Happened fast. Poor Cordelia.
    Old 07-02-2024, 10:04 AM

Awww, thanks Ibex. No need to fuss, the pin isn't that important to me, my participation was more about learning stuff and expanding my horizons and style. I'll probably stick the pin in a drawer somewhere and forget about it anyway.

I did see his post about Cordelia. Very sad.