Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt >
  • Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

• Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Old 05-05-2017, 10:00 AM
    Power Poster

Checked the border... oh yes, it's so cool! And a good reminder to save scraps for it.
    Old 05-05-2017, 10:03 AM

I asked Debbie about the boarder. She says it is a 4 by 4 made up of 1" blocks to total 4" square (finished)
    Old 05-05-2017, 12:20 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter
    I asked Debbie about the boarder. She says it is a 4 by 4 made up of 1" blocks to total 4" square (finished)
    Cool... so I will save my little scraps to make them. I assume we will be doing that last. Or now that we know, we could be making them as we go along, while waiting for the next block to come out. So... 1.5" squares will give 4.5" (unfinished) blocks to sew into our borders.

Funny I never noticed the border until Anna mentioned it. I guess I was zeroed in on the big blocks!

It looks like neutrals cross one diagonal, and reds/pinks cross the other diagonal, with the rest of the squares being blue and brown/tan.

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 05-05-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    Old 05-05-2017, 12:45 PM

I wish I would have chose a different collection of fabrics. Civil war fabric I am not particularly fond of but thought it might be nice to do something different. I do enjoy making a different block each week and taking part in this group activity. Most of all I enjoy seeing the different fabrics everyone is using in their blocks. Jan
    Old 05-05-2017, 12:52 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I wish I would have chose a different collection of fabrics. Civil war fabric I am not particularly fond of but thought it might be nice to do something different. I do enjoy making a different block each week and taking part in this group activity. Most of all I enjoy seeing the different fabrics everyone is using in their blocks. Jan
    Since we just started maybe it is not too late to switch fabrics? I could see this work for anything with a small pattern, solids or tone on tone. The only thing that might not work is large prints. Maybe batik would look pretty?
    Old 05-05-2017, 01:14 PM
    Power Poster

Oh I think Batiks would be so pretty.
    Old 05-05-2017, 04:45 PM

Very nice block, Cheesehead!

Annaquilts: Yes it is a bright pink. As far as the colors go, I am sorting through donated scraps and following her color scheme but not necessarily dark/ light. The caramel color in my block is from yardage.

Hmmm! I will need to look at the border now also.

Connie
    Old 05-05-2017, 05:13 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I agree with Anna... it's still early, only two blocks made. If you want to change color schemes, I'm sure you can find another use for your first two blocks, eventually. You should work with something that makes you totally happy!
    Old 05-05-2017, 05:14 PM

I agree with Anna and SBG. It's only 2 orphan blocks at this time... If you are not fond of CW fabric, by all means, choose something else, if you are going to keep it. If you have the CW fabric and want to get it out of your stash, then maybe just make the top with CW and give the quilt to someone who likes antiques/CW fabric.

I think I'm going to make the border uniform and not scrappy. It will sew up quick with strip sets. I don't want to plan a different layout. This one is common, but that's fine with me. I'm thinking about changing the setting triangles and sashes to gray-- if I go scrappy like the pattern instructs. I have more grays than neutrals! Or, if I set with neutral, then I won't be able to go scrappy, and I'll just use one fabric. If I do that, then maybe I'll use one fabric for the sashes too, but something different than the triangles. Always so many choices!! :-)

Last edited by givio; 05-05-2017 at 05:19 PM.
    Old 05-05-2017, 05:38 PM
    Power Poster

For you overachievers, just got email regarding border blocks.